Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

couple of questions from a prospective owner

Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
injendsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of questions from a prospective owner

ok im hoping to have the money together sometime in 2006 to buy a used 350z. i was planning on buying an 03 since they are the cheapest and im a full time college student with a part time job and i will be paying for the car on my own. the only thing is, ive been looking through various posts and seeing that the 03's had some problems which isnt surprising since it was the first model year of the car. my question is this, what exactly were the problems? i saw that there was something about the tires as well as something with the suspension but i didnt see any specifics. another thing i read was that if you buy a later production 03, you should be fine. is there any way to know if it was produced later in the year besides the vin? in my eclipse for instance, there is a sticker in the doorjamb on the drivers side as well as one in the engine bay that lists the production info, chassis and engine specifics on it so im thinking a 350z might be similar. i appreciate any help.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
dirtroad

do a search for TSB, that will show you all the problems that Nissan acknowledged and will fix under warranty. there is actually a website that lists them. buy a Z with less than 36,000 miles (and under 3 years old) and take it to a dealer, tell him you want it checked over for the major ones, like tire feathering, transmission problems, and window motors failing. they should check for and fix them for free....

but then again, most dealers suck. ask the owner if he's had any of those items addressed.

most of all, take the prospective Z to get it checked out before you buy it. call a nissan dealer in your area and talk to them about your situation. see what they will charge to check the car for known problems (TSB's).
Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 PM
injendsm

Originally Posted by dirtroad
do a search for TSB, that will show you all the problems that Nissan acknowledged and will fix under warranty. there is actually a website that lists them. buy a Z with less than 36,000 miles (and under 3 years old) and take it to a dealer, tell him you want it checked over for the major ones, like tire feathering, transmission problems, and window motors failing. they should check for and fix them for free....

but then again, most dealers suck. ask the owner if he's had any of those items addressed.

most of all, take the prospective Z to get it checked out before you buy it. call a nissan dealer in your area and talk to them about your situation. see what they will charge to check the car for known problems (TSB's).
ok, sounds good. thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Reliability data above from 350Z owners. Compiled by Consumer Reports.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:05 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did the reliability data that I posted help with your decision?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
injendsm

Originally Posted by davidv
Did the reliability data that I posted help with your decision?
yes it did, thanks. im still looking around and its between a z and an srt4 at the moment. the srt is cheaper and faster but the z is supposedly cheaper on insurance so we shall see.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 AM
DeeZ

dont get a str4!!! its a neon!!! lol

anyways good luck
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
injendsm

Originally Posted by DeeZ
dont get a str4!!! its a neon!!! lol

anyways good luck
lol it may be a neon but its a fast and good looking neon. only reason im looking at it besides the fact that i like it is that its got a roomier interior and can be pretty fast for less than a grand invested. only weird thing is that the z is about a hundred bucks cheaper on insurance.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
DeeZ

i dont like chrysler one bit, i had one and it sucked big time!!!

and it doesnt looks good at all IMO

if i wanted room i would get a g35 still fast and it looks good..

yes the car is fast but its still a neon.. im sorry but i just dont like them

money is no big deal with me, i much rather save money and it may take me a lil bit longer but it will turn out better IMO

but like i said good luck with what ever you do....ZZZZZZZZZZ lol oh yeah and the z is RWD much better than FWD ( fun)
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM
injendsm

Originally Posted by DeeZ
i dont like chrysler one bit, i had one and it sucked big time!!!

and it doesnt looks good at all IMO

if i wanted room i would get a g35 still fast and it looks good..

yes the car is fast but its still a neon.. im sorry but i just dont like them

money is no big deal with me, i much rather save money and it may take me a lil bit longer but it will turn out better IMO

but like i said good luck with what ever you do....ZZZZZZZZZZ lol oh yeah and the z is RWD much better than FWD ( fun)

everyone is entitled to their opinion so there are no right are wrong ones. id like a g35 but that is way out of my price range, being a full time college student with a part time job doesnt make buying a car easy.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Turboforthewin

Originally Posted by injendsm
...being a full time college student with a part time job doesnt make buying a car easy...
That should actually say, "modding a car with a part time job", because in truth that is what actually is very expensive.

I personally would be insulted to buy a car that requires me to roll down the rear windows and have power fronts?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:19 AM
EynonPower

lol it may be a neon but its a fast and good looking neon. only reason im looking at it besides the fact that i like it is that its got a roomier interior and can be pretty fast for less than a grand invested. only weird thing is that the z is about a hundred bucks cheaper on insurance.
There is no suck thing as a good looking Neon.

Go with the Z man. The SRT-4 is a cheap, pocket rocket car, with chincy looking interior. If you get a Z, you get a sweet looking car, with plenty of power behind it.

Think of it this way: When you go pick up a chick, is she going to like the neon with a turbo in it, or the Z?

Also, think about this, your in college, with a 2 seat car. Those good bar nights where you would need to drive? Guess what, you don't have to be the DD!!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
injendsm

i already have a girlfriend so i dont need to worry about picking up chicks. i do need more space than the Z has though, if it actually had space behind the front seats i would be fine but i cant rely on a trunk alone. the srt4 im about to get only has 6500 miles on it whereas any Z that is available in my price range has 35000 at the least. as for the rear windows, i could careless if those arent power because i wouldnt roll them down anyway. i love both cars but for right now, the srt4 fits what i need more. besides, id rather wait a couple years to get a Z that way i could get one brand new and put the first miles on her.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
injendsm

i am also considering a 2002 wrx since i just found one near my house on the east coast of florida for under 13k; the awd is nice too
Old 12-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i already have a girlfriend so i dont need to worry about picking up chicks. i do need more space than the Z has though, if it actually had space behind the front seats i would be fine but i cant rely on a trunk alone. the srt4 im about to get only has 6500 miles on it whereas any Z that is available in my price range has 35000 at the least. as for the rear windows, i could careless if those arent power because i wouldnt roll them down anyway. i love both cars but for right now, the srt4 fits what i need more. besides, id rather wait a couple years to get a Z that way i could get one brand new and put the first miles on her.
Based on your needs and requirements, the Z isnt the right car for you (atleast for now). I would rather get the WRX instead of the srt4.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 AM
blackpitbull

I owned a SRT for over a year and I just traded it in for a 350z less then a month ago. Why? the SRT is fast but it gets no respect, people think its a neon with the muffler broken off and a big fin on the back. Its exhaust is loud and you get ricers trying to race you all the time. Its front wheel drive. Your insurance will be higher because punk kids own it and more accidents are reported in them and hence insurance is higher.
Its made by Dodge/Chrysler who are known for making crap and there service is horrible. The 350z is a legend there are books written on the Z it is one of the best looking sports cars on the road and will always be a legend like a mustang. So your resale value will be higher, it will be more reliable because it is made better.
Also whoever says its faster is full of crap. They pick the slowest mag time or the 350z and the fastest for the SRT then quote them. Their front wheel drive makes them hop like a rabbit robbing power..if you learn how to drive them you launch at around 1800 rpm with allot of feathering of the gas and clutch to stop from bouncing. We can go to 3k and drop the clutch ...guess who will be faster??? Also when averaged out mag times, real drag times on forums etc. all show very comparable.

Here is Sports Compact Cars review of both:

350z
The Stats
Base Price: $26.370
Price As Tested: $33,280
0-60 mph: 5.9 sec.
1/4 Mile: 14.1 sec. @ 99.1mph
Slalom: 70.3 mph (700 ft.)
Skidpad: .89g (200 ft.)
60-0 Braking: 119 ft.

SRT
The Stats
Base Price: $20,450
Price As Tested: $21,335
0-60 mph: 5.9 sec.
1/4 Mile: 14.1 sec. @ 102.1 mph
Slalom: 71.3 mph (700 ft.)
Skidpad: .88g (200 ft.)
60-0 Braking: 117 ft.

Think about quality, repect, beauty, speed, reliability,resale value, 350z wins everytime.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:41 AM
blackpitbull

The G35 is overrated. It is visually not as appealing as the 350z and is NOT as fast and costs more. You do get 4 seats..( who cares) The WRX STI is faster then the Z and is an excellent car. My wife told me however when I was looking to trade in my SRT "Why would you buy a WRX they are as ugly as a SRT" so they wont win any beauty contests. But they are reliable and fast.