Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

A LOT of people are buying Z's-What are your thoughts?...It's making me have doubts!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 07:45 PM
sicktypes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A LOT of people are buying Z's-What are your thoughts?...It's making me have doubts!

....Z's are selling at a pretty fast rate (not as much as Accords, Camry's, etc...) i'm guessin in about a year and a half there will be more Z's then S2K's on the road...

what r your thoughts? i'm REALLY close to getting my Z (maybe this week!!!), but i'm having doubts (although there's no other sports car i'd rather have other then a s2k)...i'm thinkin of looking into a whol diff. class of cars...i started a thread KIND OF like this a while back but couldn't dig it up...I'm afraid that so many people are gonna have Z's by the end of the year, and i'm gonna be stuck paying for a car that was no where near as "unique" as when i first bought it...i hear some dealerships have like 12 Z's just sittin on their lot waitin to be sold....on top of all that, i've been hearing rumors of a factory TURBO'ed Z coming soon,,,WTF???...i'm sure a lot of you would love to see something like this, but i'd be pissed if i just bought a Z, and a FI version came out in a year or so!!!...i have a little theory, i think the reason Nissan is trying to sell so many Z's is so they can make enough profit to "experiment" with the Skyline in America...i thnk that's f'ed up on Nissan's part, but i'm whipped over the Z...

p.s. i would get an s2k, but i prefer the Z cause...
i heard the s2k's getting redesigned next year....Z has a lot more power off the line...i like the "newness" of the Z over the S2K, but it's "exclusiveness/uniqueness" whatever you wanna call it, prolly won't last too long (at the rate they're selling/nissan's producing)...
Old 01-07-2003, 07:50 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Zs are selling at 30000 a year, (tho it will be pulled back to 20000 next year) while the S2000 is at 5000 a year. do the math, the S2000 has less cars produced in its whole life than the Z does in one year. owell. its 10 times as exclusive as any other sports car. the S2000 is just a very limited production. its also quite difficult to find one at MSRP.

that whole turbo thing is highly unlikely, there is no reason to believe that right now IMO. nothing that I personally warrant as good info.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:57 PM
sicktypes

very tru about the s2k being a limited car...but they do go for UNDER MSRP at some places (rare)....anyone think they really could sell 30,000 Z's a year?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

The 350Z is a great car at a great price. This means it will not be an exclusive car. There will be lots of them. If you want an exclusive car, you are going to have to pay the money required to keep a car exclusive - like a Lomborgini or a Ferrari - even the Boxster is quite common and it costs $15K more than the Z
Old 01-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Phatmitzu

you get what you pay for. and Z is more than your moneys worth compare to S2K.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:26 PM
hoopjones

Originally posted by Pooh2002
The 350Z is a great car at a great price. This means it will not be an exclusive car. There will be lots of them. If you want an exclusive car, you are going to have to pay the money required to keep a car exclusive - like a Lomborgini or a Ferrari - even the Boxster is quite common and it costs $15K more than the Z

I second that. I see like 10 boxsters a day, no joke. But, I am in the bay area.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:40 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Z sells out, it will be similar in numbers to the Vette. If you feel there are too many Vettes, then you will probably feel the same about the Z.

On the other hand, you will probably still only see one or two each day on the road.

Furthermore, with greater numbers of cars comes a greater opportunity for aftermarket companies. Therefore, the Z will have excellent options for the aftermarket.

Finally, the Z has just started production, so if you are already worried about buying one because of the next one coming (probably in a couple years), how did you every buy the computer you are using to post?

I would say, either wait a year for the new S2000 or buy a Z now and then buy another if/when the turbo version arrives.

You could wait for the turbo version, but think of all the fun you'd be missing in the meantime. Maybe a lease would be good for you, so you could get a Z now, and another one later?

-D'oh!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:38 AM
rai

Actually the S2000 sold nearly 10K last year (I think there is a roumor that the S is limited to 5000/year this may be a sales ploy by Honda to make it seem more exclusive or limited than it really is).

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
you get what you pay for. and Z is more than your moneys worth compare to S2K.

I don't exactly agree with that statement. The Z is a great value but so is the S2000. If the Z was sooo much better than the S2000 than no one would be buying the S2000 anymore and we'd see tons of them on every honda lot. In fact the S2000 is better in every way than the Boxster (except trunk room OK), and nearly as good as the Boxster S and those cars cost $10-20K more than the S2000. I really don't see the logic of saying the Z is more for your money than the S2000. Fully loaded miatas and MR-2's are close to $30K so the S2000 at $33K looks like a great deal anyway you slice it.

It would be like me saying the mustang is a better value than the Z because it has more torque and more trunk room. (OK it does but that doesn't make it a better value).

I don't want to make this a flame war S2000 vs Z thread I love both of them equally. But if I owned a Z I would be worried about having them become too common.

Old 01-08-2003, 05:52 AM
justwant1

I live in the Chicago area and have had my Z since Aug. 24th. I'm not real worried about there being too many on the road. I have seen a total of 1 other Z out driving in 4 months, and I've only seen it once. 30,000 cars of which 20,000 to 24,000 will end up in the US, isn't many considering how large the US is. The Audi TT isn't that rare of a car any more, but I don't see that many of them out on the road. I don't think any of us have to worry about the Z becoming a common car. As for th S2000, it's in the same boat. You seem them, but not all the time. I see more of them than Z's, but let's face it, they have been around longer. I have to agree with RAI, the S2000 is a great car for the money. I think it comes down to personal style and wants to determine which car someone would want. If I were in the market for a convert. the S2000 would be in my garage now, but I wasn't, so it isn't.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:40 AM
rahilio

rai totaly agree with you there.
if you want exclusivness prepare to take out your wallet dont know where you live but the s2000 is pretty uncommon over here. but i still see about 2 a day, if thats what you want then buy the s2000 great car and built by a great automaker. when i went to buy my wifes crv at the dealership i was drooling over this car very nice.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:42 AM
rahilio

all in all im glad that real jap sports cars are back and the s2000 started this new trend. im tired of all thease huge *** suv's
you cant go wrong with either car man
Old 01-08-2003, 07:03 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I see more S2ks around Dallas than I do Zs.

But I really don't care how "exclusive" the Z could be, I'm buying the car because I love it. I don't care how many other people have the car--it just means that they have good taste and know a great car when they see one.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:04 AM
cotmfk

Originally posted by rahilio
all in all im glad that real jap sports cars are back im tired of all thease huge *** suv's
TOtally agree!!!!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:23 AM
rai

Originally posted by rahilio
all in all im glad that real jap sports cars are back and the s2000 started this new trend. im tired of all thease huge *** suv's
you cant go wrong with either car man
This is the point exactly. Miata and MR-2 aside what happened to the great japanise sports cars? The NS-X is the last of the old guard. I love the NSX I'd buy one in a second if it weren't so darn expensive.

So the trick is to get a good balance between greatness and value. What good would the Z be if it cost too much money?

I can't wait to see if the RX-7 and the Supra make a comeback. If they do it will be because of the success of the Z and the S2000. Both cars did well because of good performance at a reasonable price.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:35 AM
abz123

I think when the S2000 first came out they were selling 5000 a year...I think it's closer to 9000 this year. That's with just manuals.

When they start making an automatic, look for that number to double or triple.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:49 AM
blackS

...well the Z is not going to be as 'exclusive' as many other sports cars, but then again it's never going to be as common as a camry. Regardless of this, you have to get something you'll be happy with. To me it wouldn't matter if every other person had a Z, I am just happy I have one...
Old 01-08-2003, 07:56 AM
rai

About the manual transmission good point, the establishment HATES manuals. We americans like like to do as little work as possible. Most people are shocked when I say I prefer manual transmission. Car salesman especially.

I was looking at bimmers and they had no MT 330Ci to be test driven. It was like "Why do you wan a manual? they are hard to sell so you'll get more at trade in for an automatic" I'm like "STFU who's buying this car you or me?".

Anyway I'd say the slush box is a big factor in nissan being able to sell a lot of Z's. Look at corvettes and Mustangs I'd say more AT than manuals are sold.

BTW I don't think Honda is planning on offering any AT for the S2000 maybe next gen, they slush boxed the NS-X so they have a history of fooking up a good sports car to get sales.

Last edited by rai; 01-08-2003 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:28 AM
sicktypes

a tip NSX ? WTF???
Old 01-11-2003, 08:07 AM
cotmfk

Yeah, they did put an auto in the NSX... and they also made it a lower powered car.

I don't like the fact that autos are getting so common. I am going to buy only manual trans cars, though for as long as I can!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 08:26 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being "politically correct" is not overly important to me but I think the term "jap" is highly offensive to Japanesse folk and should not be used. I don't think there was any evil intent on the poster's part.....just shorthand.

Anyone of Japanesse descent care to comment?

While I'm at it if any Canadians see this I'd like to know if "Canuck" is considered offensive?

Quick Reply: A LOT of people are buying Z's-What are your thoughts?...It's making me have doubts!