Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

FYI-New 350Z's at $3k to $4K Off MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 05:53 PM
superman78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to Walc

Many people have bought for close to invoice, as reported on this forum, and they didn't buy demos. Around 10% of 124 reporting ( https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=19241 )
BTW, do you even have a 350Z or do you just sell them?
I apologize WALC, what was I thinking. There is obviously no % of error from a poll that any 10 year old kid can come click on.

Out of the 10 that said they got better than 2k off the car, 1 would be you of course. Lets say 4-5 to be fair are probably people who feel bad about paying over sticker for the car and are just trying to justify it to themselves. This leaves 5 or so that may have paid 2k under sticker. GREAT!! I commend their negotiaiting skills!!

Oh yeah forgot to mention, have you ever heard of the backend of the car biz? Or the used car department of the car biz? Those 5 or so that got it for 2k under sticker probably financed with the dealership. When the dealer thought the customer was going to pay sticker, they had a 4.5% interest rate waiting for them, but now that the customer is completely focused on the base price of the car they figure, well lets go ahead and appease him, take 1500 of sticker to make him happy. WOW great deal! But guess what? Now they give you a rate of 8.5%%. Wow!! What do you know? They just made their money back!! Oh yeah, the warranty they usually sell for 1400? You just paid 2400 for!!

My point WALC, is that a dealer can make the money taken off of sticker in MANY different ways....Don't even get me started with the used car department that deals with your trade #'s...

And yes I own one...SB Enthus...and no I don't sell them
Old 02-21-2003, 05:57 PM
WayneTN

Originally posted by rodH
I was told BUY the VERY same people that handled my Jetta sale (and gave me the holdback there)(it is a Nissan/VW dealer) that there is NO holdback. They would have NO reason to lie about it
If you find out anything else, please let us know. I will try to ask about the holdback on a Z at a Nissan dealer when I travel near one. Maybe I can convince one to say one way or the other since I can drive up in a Z to ask.

WayneTN
Old 02-21-2003, 06:03 PM
walc

"bluff", WHAT are you talking about??

You think I am lying about the holdback issue?? why would I want to lie about something as stupid as that??
rodH,
I think your premise, that there is no holdback on 350z's, is incorrect; but, I'm not accusing you of being a liar.
I do think resolving the issue could be of benefit to those still shopping, which is why I started the thread.
I may have misunderstood, one of your posts; but, did you say that the car you bought was an exchange/trade w/another dealer? If so, the dealer, who traded the car to your dealership, still gets the holdback. The dealer you bought from doesn't get any holdback, since it goes to the original dealer, who bought the car from the manufacturer. Therefore, your dealership would not have any holdback to pass on to you.
BTW, thanks to you and WayneTN, I now understand "unwind".
Who knows? I was told that it was the gm's demo; but, they may make that claim on every untitled/high mileage "new" car. Time may tell.
PEACE,

Last edited by walc; 02-21-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:19 PM
walc

Originally posted by superman78
In response to Walc

I apologize WALC, what was I thinking. There is obviously no % of error from a poll that any 10 year old kid can come click on.

Out of the 10 that said they got better than 2k off the car, 1 would be you of course. Lets say 4-5 to be fair are probably people who feel bad about paying over sticker for the car and are just trying to justify it to themselves. This leaves 5 or so that may have paid 2k under sticker. GREAT!! I commend their negotiaiting skills!!

Oh yeah forgot to mention, have you ever heard of the backend of the car biz? Or the used car department of the car biz? Those 5 or so that got it for 2k under sticker probably financed with the dealership. When the dealer thought the customer was going to pay sticker, they had a 4.5% interest rate waiting for them, but now that the customer is completely focused on the base price of the car they figure, well lets go ahead and appease him, take 1500 of sticker to make him happy. WOW great deal! But guess what? Now they give you a rate of 8.5%%. Wow!! What do you know? They just made their money back!! Oh yeah, the warranty they usually sell for 1400? You just paid 2400 for!!

My point WALC, is that a dealer can make the money taken off of sticker in MANY different ways....Don't even get me started with the used car department that deals with your trade #'s...

Dear Superman78,
I don't argue that the buyer can ignore any of the aspects of the transaction. I agree, that if you focus on only one factor, there are many other factors on which you can pay too much.
Cars are my hobby/addiction. In the past 15 years, I have bought, sold and traded over 100 and I have the empty bank account to prove it.
I started this thread to try to share info w/consumers looking to buy a 350z. I'm at a loss to understand why anyone, other than car salespeople, would object to info which may enable others to buy for less.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:29 PM
superman78

WALC - one of the benefits of sites like this is just that, to inform and educate everyone. That is why I log on everyday and read these threads. I rarely post, but tonight felt inclined to because I felt like you were bragging about paying thousands under sticker, when it is just not possible at this time. I apologize for being the instigator, just felt like you needed to be kicked off your pedestal. Again, not being offensive.....This will be my last post on the topic....
Old 02-21-2003, 06:44 PM
walc

WALC - one of the benefits of sites like this is just that, to inform and educate everyone. That is why I log on everyday and read these threads. I rarely post, but tonight felt inclined to because I felt like you were bragging about paying thousands under sticker, when it is just not possible at this time. I apologize for being the instigator, just felt like you needed to be kicked off your pedestal. Again, not being offensive.....This will be my last post on the topic....
I have to agree. My original post does sound like bragging.
However, my intention is to challenge those car salespeople whom I believe are price gouging other people.
Why do I care? I guess I'm just trying to help other 350z forum member buyers and I don't have any mechanical or audio expertise to contribute.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:28 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by walc
rodH,
I think your premise, that there is no holdback on 350z's, is incorrect; but, I'm not accusing you of being a liar.
I do think resolving the issue could be of benefit to those still shopping, which is why I started the thread.
I may have misunderstood, one of your posts; but, did you say that the car you bought was an exchange/trade w/another dealer? If so, the dealer, who traded the car to your dealership, still gets the holdback. The dealer you bought from doesn't get any holdback, since it goes to the original dealer, who bought the car from the manufacturer. Therefore, your dealership would not have any holdback to pass on to you.
BTW, thanks to you and WayneTN, I now understand "unwind".
Who knows? I was told that it was the gm's demo; but, they may make that claim on every untitled/high mileage "new" car. Time may tell.
PEACE,
the way I got the car (traded a CS touring 6spd w/ Navi, for the exact same car w/o Navi) was NO issue regarding the "holdback" situation. I brought up "holdback" when I ordered my car (that I ended up not going through with, LONG story that I will tell someday when I have a lot of time) NOT after I got the car that was traded.

btw, I just got home from dinner, My dad brought home a FX35 and I had to give it a try, VERY nice drive for an SUV, but still dramatically slower than a Z, and slower than a G35 sedan.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:35 PM
walc

rodH,
Well scratch that theory.
Hopefully, Cheever will get us a definitive answer, from the VPP, next week.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:58 PM
zeroday

the way I got the car (traded a CS touring 6spd w/ Navi, for the exact same car w/o Navi) was NO issue regarding the "holdback" situation. I brought up "holdback" when I ordered my car (that I ended up not going through with, LONG story that I will tell someday when I have a lot of time) NOT after I got the car that was traded.

btw, I just got home from dinner, My dad brought home a FX35 and I had to give it a try, VERY nice drive for an SUV, but still dramatically slower than a Z, and slower than a G35 sedan.
why did you trade your car in for a non navi??
Old 02-21-2003, 10:35 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zeroday
why did you trade your car in for a non navi??
I didn't "trade it in", it was a dealer trade.

the reason, simply financial, I was planning on the Enthusiest (best value, imo), but in a weird twist of events, I ended up getting a touring, which was about $4k more (cost) and the navi added another $2k, I didn't want to end up paying $6k more than I had planned. Plus i have wheels and tires on order as well (another $3k).
Old 02-22-2003, 06:05 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

In response to Walc

I didn't finance at the dealer, bought 350 miles away, and didn't get warranties or anything. I got my touring for $2614 under MSRP ($891 over invoice). No trade.

So, I guess I don't fit your theory. Also, my car had 50 some odd miles on it.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:14 PM
walc

If anyone still remembers this thread, Cheever got the info on the dealer holdback, as follows:

Cheveer writes in pm to walc:

350Z Dealer Holdback
I received the VPP info via fax today. However, I left the fax at work. Fortunately, I can still answer your question.

The Dealer Holdback on a fully loaded Touring or fully loaded Track model works out to about $ 1400.

Total price for each car was about $33,000.

Let me know if you want to know the details on the numbers or if you have any more questions.

Feel free to share the dealer holdback number with the rest of the forum.

Cheever
--------------------------------
Old 03-03-2003, 06:29 PM
nodeel

Default Carsdirect

In Chicagoland (try zip code 60542)
the Z is selling for 1500 off sticker....base model.

the upper models are similarly below sticker.

Whats surprising is that - if you remove the splash guards - the Z base is selling for $475 over INVOICE!!!

hot deal