Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Let the price gouging begin

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 04:03 PM
brackethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the price gouging begin

I am sooooo glad I pre-ordered! I'm in the CIncinnati area. I saw on nissandriven.com that a few dealers in the Cincinnati area have Zs in inventory. I called around today and two had Zs in the showroom -- for sale. Three Zs total. I had not yet seen a 350Z in the wild, so I high-tailed it out the door to get a look.

Let me just get to the point...

Kerry Nissan, Florence, KY
2 350Zs in the showroom today: a LeMans/Touring/6MT/Burnt Orange and a Daytona/Performance/6MT.

First, just let me say, this being the first time seeing a 350Z in person I was not let down at all! Wow, what a great looking car. The blue and the orange cars looked phenomenal. The interior is of good quality and everything seemed perfectly placed, from the nubby shifter to the pedals to the 3-gauge cluster. The cloth and leather seats are very comfortable (oh yeah, they let me sit in them!), headroom is fine (I'm 6'-1"), and I didn't feel cluastrophobic or like I was in a tub. The splash guards looked OK, but I'm happy I left them off my order. Anyway, back to prices...

So, at Kerry, either one can be yours for MSRP, plus a $5000 market adjustment. I just about spit out my Big Red when I saw that little teeny tiny sticker on the top right of the windshield with that ominous writing on it. I spoke to the sales manager about buying the Daytona. (Mine is waiting for me in DC right now, but I was considering changing from Silverstone/Touring to Daytona/Performance but missed the deadline.) I told him I was ready to cut him a check on the spot for MSRP, and this guy looked like someone just offered him half a container of cold french fries. He explained that his dealership has several "extra" pre-orders because they placed orders for some of the salesmen, who I guess must have all changed their minds and opted for Altimas and Odysseys instead.

OK, so he's not someone I would hang out with. Bottom line is, I got a very creepy feeling from this guy, and this I'm sure will be typical across the country over the next several months.

If you live in Cincinnati, OH, KY, or IN, I would steer clear of Kerry Nissan. (BTW, this sales mgr is the guy whose new E46 M3 SMG was parked in the handicapped spot out front of the dealership. Backed it in.)

I did try to see if that Daytona Z could be mine. I pointed out that tons of people in the CIncinnati area are going to be asking me where I bought my Z in 6 days when I get back from DC, and that I would rather say I bought it at a local dealership than from out of town. I also mentioned my web site, the 350Z Pre-Order Survey -- glazed eyes, may not have heard of the Internet yet. After a little more talking he did say the Daytona could be mine for MSRP+3000. I said "well, that's not gonna happen" and took off to...

Kings Nissan, Cincinnati, OH
1 350 sitting outside (!): a PP White/Performance/6MT

Not as much to say here. It's a pre-order that fell through. They want MSRP+$2995. I spoke to a very nice salesman but I wasn't interested in buying this one. Although, it's damn sweet looking, too.

So, my Silverstone/Touring/Burnt Orange/6MT is waiting for me in DC. I'm flying in to pick you up on Saturday, sweetie!
Old 09-02-2002, 05:11 PM
gammbino350z

yeah i went to kerry nissan first (i live about 10 minutes away) they tried to charge me 5k over with their market adjustment b.s. then i found a few for msrp and told them and they said something to the effect of... some people will be glad to pay 5K over once the first ones hit the market so take it or leave it . i guess in a way they were right.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:42 PM
brackethead

Yeah, it's supply and demand. It will be very interesting to see how the price curve plots out over the next year. I got mine. Here's hoping the prices go through the roof, I guess.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:16 PM
rai

I'm not sure I understand all these Z's sitting in showrooms. There are like 6,000 pre-orders, and it seems like only a small fraction have been delivered. I have been waiting 4 months and still have another month or two to go, yet there are dealers with several cars in inventory. It doesn't make sence
Old 09-02-2002, 07:29 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Nasty dealers

I wonder what NNA would think about "salesmen" preordering cars and then not taking them...we all know the dealer did this to gouge us buyers and I am upset that the A$$hole dealers took up preorder spots that others could have had. I seem to recollect that this was frowned upon by NNA and the preorder program was for the "Z" fans. It is really disappointing how low they will go. It is too bad others allow them to get away with it...I for one would never pay $5000.00 over MSRP even if I really wanted the car......that is why we should only deal with the fair honest dealers. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-02-2002, 07:34 PM
ross@downforce.net

Originally posted by rai
I'm not sure I understand all these Z's sitting in showrooms. There are like 6,000 pre-orders, and it seems like only a small fraction have been delivered. I have been waiting 4 months and still have another month or two to go, yet there are dealers with several cars in inventory. It doesn't make sence
well - as someone else mentioned - dealers "pre-ordered" themselves some cars and then "changed their minds" and backed out - hence extra cars. They could have done this with family, friends etc as well to guaruntee extra Z's that they can then gouge us on.

just keep in mind - this happened with the S2K too - but they built a lot less of those and they are selling under MSRP and have been selling for MSRP for quite a while...I think that the supply will be great enough that after a few months everything will even out and prices should come down. IMO Nissan should crack down on these a-holes for gouging. Porsche doesnt allow dealers to charge more than MSRP on a freakin TURBO - this car isnt nearly an exotic.

this is why I am waiting till spring has sprung...
Old 09-03-2002, 05:07 AM
Bobg

name a more amazing car for slightly more money? I paid 35K and i cannot think of a more amazing car until around 20K more?
Old 09-03-2002, 05:44 AM
rai

I can see the dealers pre-ordering cars so they can turn around and sell them, the thing that really burns me up is what if they held back real peoples orders so that they could get their cars early but keep the real enthuiast waiting 8 months or more.

Oh well what do you expect from car salesmen? I'm not saying that all of them are slim, but there are enough slimey ones out there to give them all a bad name.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:54 AM
Bobg

That's my fear. What if someone is willing to pay significant money over MSRP? What prevents our salesman from selling our cars and telling us some sort of story.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:59 AM
JJH

That really sucks that the dealers are stooping that low. On the opposite side, I went to check out the car here in Miami at Maroone Nissan and the people were very friendly. The salesman told me the car would be MSRP and a 3 month wait. I haven't ordered yet, and as someone already said, I too am waiting for spring.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:01 AM
MatthewZ

Originally posted by Bobg
That's my fear. What if someone is willing to pay significant money over MSRP? What prevents our salesman from selling our cars and telling us some sort of story.

Get your VIN!!!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 07:38 AM
ross@downforce.net

name a more amazing car for slightly more money? I paid 35K and i cannot think of a more amazing car until around 20K more?
C5
Z06
used Viper

40K breaks into a whole new area IMO...
Old 09-03-2002, 07:47 AM
Bobg

I had a Vette. They are not all they are cracked up to be. The Viper is used. This guy said amazing cars in that price range. Those vehicles do not come close to amazing. If you could get a 911 twin turbo, a BMW Z8, or an AC Cobra, a calloway Corvette. Those vehicles are amazing
Old 09-03-2002, 07:53 AM
ross@downforce.net

I had a Vette. They are not all they are cracked up to be. The Viper is used. This guy said amazing cars in that price range. Those vehicles do not come close to amazing. If you could get a 911 twin turbo, a BMW Z8, or an AC Cobra, a calloway Corvette. Those vehicles are amazing
ok - relax
the 350Z is just a car - much like the WRX or the Z06 - a fantastic performance buy for its price...but its not anywhere near the caliber of the cars you mentioned in terms of rarified air.

BUT - if you take that price and jack it up 10K there are many ppl (maybe not you) who would opt for a REAL (in their opinion) sports car. If I could pay 42K for a C5 or 40K for a 350Z I would buy the C5 in a heartbeat. Its a faster better handling car. period.

But the 350Z I am going to buy in spring will be closer to 30K and hence an AMAZING car for the $$.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:54 AM
ross@downforce.net

Oh yeah - and if you dont think a used Viper is amazing - then we have VERY different ideas about sports cars and what is exciting to sit behind the wheel of...