Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Maxima vs 350z

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:57 PM
realmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxima vs 350z

I drive an 03 Maxima. My previous car was a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. I hated that car with a passion.

List of complaints with the olds:
-beginning to rust
-door moldings coming off doors
-seats not comfortable at all
-driven by people typically 30-40 years older than me
-transmission starting to go
-ugly

I like my max, but think I want something more fun to drive. A 350z fits that bill perfectly, though I wonder how I will deal with the two seats over time. I have never driven a rear wheel drive sports car, much less one that is as performance oriented as the Z. Image is also part of it, though I'm looking more for the ultimate driving machine that I can also afford.

Has anyone driven both the Max and the Z here. Is it a night and day difference. What would you say one has most over the other?

Advantages of the Z:
-More power than the max
-Vastly improved rear suspension (multi-link vs multi-beam)
-Looks less like a grocery getter
-More ideal for a single guy like me
-Less than a 40ft turning radius / more manueverability

Disadvantages of the Z:
-Quality of the internal materials / finish
-Harsh ride, stiffer than the SE maxima which could be uncomfortable on bad roads
-Poorer fuel economy than the max
-2 seats
-not much storage space
-I'd have to pay sales tax again to NYS, which was close to $1800 last time
-May not handle well in the snow / wet roads
-Higher insurance fees
-Storage space?

A used G35 is outside my budget, but a Z is more reasonable. I'd be looking to spend around 22k or less for an 03 or newer. Manual would be preferred, even though I haven't driven one yet. Thoughts, from you well-experienced Z drivers?

Couple pics of my car:

Last edited by realmac; 08-16-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 PM
blitzinger1

When you said you were considering the Ultimate Driving Machine, it was like you meant a BMW.....then you say a used G35 is outside ur budget....I'm confused
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 PM
realmac

Originally Posted by blitzinger1
When you said you were considering the Ultimate Driving Machine, it was like you meant a BMW.....then you say a used G35 is outside ur budget....I'm confused
Was just looking up prices. Used G35s are less expensive than I thought.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:11 PM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only live once man, get the Z.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 Max SE as my daily driver and an 04 Z. The two cars are light years apart despite having the same engine. The Max feels very soft and unresponsive after driving the Z. That could be for a couple of different reasons though (max is an auto vs manual Z, max has stock suspension, Z has coilovers and low pro tires, and many bolt ons). I will comment on your concerns below:

Advantages of the Z:
-More power than the max - its not much more, but its a lot more responsive
- RWD FTW
-Vastly improved rear suspension (multi-link vs multi-beam) - Max is a boat compared to the Z, this is the biggest difference between the two cars
-Looks less like a grocery getter - thats because its not
-More ideal for a single guy like me - werd
-Less than a 40ft turning radius / more manueverability - its much tighter than the max, even my old 95 max had a better turning radius than the 03.

Disadvantages of the Z:
-Quality of the internal materials / finish - bleh, the max isnt much better
-Harsh ride, stiffer than the SE maxima which could be uncomfortable on bad roads - par for the course
-Poorer fuel economy than the max - I get about the same in each car depending how I drive
-2 seats - both a pro and a con!
-not much storage space - this is true, it can barely hold anything
-May not handle well in the snow / wet roads - I never drive mine in the rain
-Higher insurance fees - insurance was similar for both cars surprisingly
-Storage space? - see above

hope that helps
Old 08-17-2006, 05:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by realmac
I have never driven a rear wheel drive sports car, much less one that is as performance oriented as the Z.
Then drive one. Everything else is just bla bla bla.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Z_Monzter

What are you waiting for dude, go get yourself a Z.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wound up buying a new Z, but while shopping, I found the G32C very price competetive with the Z, both new and used..

I just didn't need "another back seat".

bill
Old 08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
mg350ZR

I drive an 03 Maxima. ... I like my max, but think I want something more fun to drive. A 350z fits that bill perfectly, though I wonder how I will deal with the two seats over time. ...Has anyone driven both the Max and the Z here. ...
I own a '98 Maxima SE 5spd and use it as my daily driver, and an '04 350Z Roadster which I use primarily as a fun "toy" car. The 2 cars are completely different and serve a dfifferent purpose in my case. While Maxima is decent mode of transportation and people hauler, the Z is much more fun to drive.

That said, if you can't keep the Maxima and get the 350Z as well, you should decide on what your needs are (are 4 seats a must or can you live with 2?, is limited space and luggage area capacity sufficient for your needs?, is firmer ride in a Z vs Maxima acceptable to you?, etc.), and make a decision based on which car meets your requirements better.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by mg350ZR; 08-17-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Gooey

ive owned a 2002 and 2003 maxima. Loved the looks of it. Had it lowered with tints and the power is there. My friend has a 2003 6spd Max and that thing with all its bolt ons blows away my Z on the highway and quarter mile. He runs consistent low 13's and I wouldnt be surprised if hes runnin high 12's n/a with his mods now. The Max can look beautiful with subtle body kits and a decent drop.

Now when i traded my 2003 max in for the Z, I have no regrets whats so ever. @ way different cars. Even though there maybe faster Maximas out there I rather drive the Z anyway over the maxima. Theres just something about the Z I cant get away from.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
jondimellow

when i don't push it, i get 28 mpg in my z. my insurance is about 100 a month, and am 23, with full coverage and then some.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
SteveZ

Classic question - can I use a Z (or G Coupe) for a daily driver? Max, sure. Z, not so easy in NY. I live in NW CT in the hills, but with a great set of snows I drive my G Coupe nearly all year round. W/o the snows both my Z and G got stuck in the driveway with ANY snow or ice. With snowz and a lot of both driving and snow driving experience, I drive the G through some serious snow. Not for everyone - and I have other cars (Dodge RAM hemi 4x4, among others) should I really need to deal with some s**t.

One thing you didn't mention is how often you carry other people. Not happening with more than one friend in the Z. Seats in the back of the G are surprisingly useful - no 911 or last-gen Mustang token seats here.

Personally, no offense, but the Maxima IMHO is overpriced unless you go barebones. When the last gen was clearing out you could get a Max SE for 22k. Now they cost over 30k with any decent level of options.

Get a G Coupe or Sedan IMHO - or the Z. The new Max just isn't priced right for the value - I have seen 33/34k window stickers on Max SE's now - that's just not right considering they won't hold resale like a G sedan.

Get a coupe or a Z - you won't regret the tradeoffs. If your only car, more than 6-8" of snow or a lot of ice means its either parked and bumming rides with 30k sitting in the garage, or you're living large

It can be done. It's not easy.
http://homepage.mac.com/stracy01/G35...toAlbum91.html
http://homepage.mac.com/stracy01/G35...oAlbum105.html
Old 08-21-2006, 05:01 PM
SteveZ

BTW insurance would be about the same. The G cost almost 12k more than my 350Z, but the insurance was slightly lower (go figure, both were new). The most rude bill I get is for the 2003 RAM Quad Cab because it is up in the top 3 most-stolen vehicles. It is at least $300 a year more than any other car I have. Has ignition lockout, theft deterrent lock out, and list was $34k - I paid $26k, I have never paid so much for a truck for insurance (and my record is one speeding ticket in over twenty years of driving - almost perfect).

The new Max isn't IMHO as fun as the last gen SE Max. Feels bigger and softer. If you're really in that market (hate to say this) look at other options for a 4-door sedan.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
plumpzz

Disadvantages of the Z:
-Quality of the internal materials / finish
-Harsh ride, stiffer than the SE maxima which could be uncomfortable on bad roads
-Poorer fuel economy than the max
-2 seats
-not much storage space
-May not handle well in the snow / wet roads
-Higher insurance fees
-Storage space?

I got the same year max as my DD.. Awsome car. Heres how it compares to the Z..
On the inside, the Z has better finish than my maxima. Nothing comes off just like that, surprisingly.
Ride is definately harsher, but its not too bad compared to like an s2k or even a M3.
Fuel economy is BETTER than maxima. I get 450 miles to a 20 gallon tank vs 320 on hte maxima.
Storage space- obviously lol
The Z sucks in the snow, but the maxima isn't much better..its all about the tires.
Same ins rate for me..
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveZ
BTW insurance would be about the same. The G cost almost 12k more than my 350Z, but the insurance was slightly lower (go figure, both were new). The most rude bill I get is for the 2003 RAM Quad Cab because it is up in the top 3 most-stolen vehicles. It is at least $300 a year more than any other car I have. Has ignition lockout, theft deterrent lock out, and list was $34k - I paid $26k, I have never paid so much for a truck for insurance (and my record is one speeding ticket in over twenty years of driving - almost perfect).

The new Max isn't IMHO as fun as the last gen SE Max. Feels bigger and softer. If you're really in that market (hate to say this) look at other options for a 4-door sedan.
I don't think the OP is even considering a new Max.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
SteveZ

Depends - the 2003, 2004 Coupes are holding value really well - over 68% on average for the Coupe 6MT. Not good for buying used at least in my area.

Fully loaded 2004 6MT Coupe w/nav and virtually all options, Brembos, 3 years old, 30k miles, excellent condition, $29k private party in my ZIP. 74% retention is pretty good after 3 years. That's holding some value for a car that had a sticker of $39.5k new.

After 14 months and 10k miles my very base no frills no special options other than aero kit 350Z was BBook of 22k of 27k new. Still not bad for the seller, but have to do better than Blue Book to be a good buy for a used Coupe buyer.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by ___DJK___
I don't think the OP is even considering a new Max.
"Has anyone driven both the Max and the Z here. Is it a night and day difference. What would you say one has most over the other?"

My mistake. I just maybe read it wrong.

That would be a good thing, I liked the last gen Max a lot but the current one is too much $$$ for the SE and not so SE-ish. Nissan calling either the Altima or Maxima a "SE" is a real stretch compared to the last gen of either car which actually had SE suspension and much improved handling compared to the GLE, GL, base.

It's tough a have a rear driver as your only option for a daily driver in the NE. Still, I'd do either one and get the best snows I could, or buy a beater.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Datona Jess

I have both
I love my Maxima alot though, it is a great car.
It rides amazing on the highway, is SO comfortable and spacious for having a few people in the car for a road trip.

The 350Z is just fun to drive though, it is just a good time.
You have to ask yourself though, do you NEED a 4 door sedan, or can you live with a coupe. If you have kids and stuff that should pretty much answer it for you. I have to say that I drive the Z more then my Maxima now, I am probnably going to sell it.

Just my.02
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM
ilyaat

I have 98 SE as well, and few weeks ago rented the 06 Z for few days. Went for a trip from San Jose to Santa Barbara and loved the car EXCEPT imo the gas peddle helt higher then in the Max so it wasnt taht of a plesent drive. Reminded me of my moms 02 Camry. Or maybe its just me.

PS: the trunk space is much bigger then you might think. It might seem small, but its not
Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by ilyaat
I have 98 SE as well, and few weeks ago rented the 06 Z for few days. Went for a trip from San Jose to Santa Barbara and loved the car EXCEPT imo the gas peddle helt higher then in the Max so it wasnt taht of a plesent drive. Reminded me of my moms 02 Camry. Or maybe its just me.

PS: the trunk space is much bigger then you might think. It might seem small, but its not
Camry and 350Z in the same paragraph? Must have a latent death wish posting that around here!

Quick Reply: Maxima vs 350z