Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 06:58 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the Z dude. I'll have to come check it out when you get it
Old 08-29-2006, 08:32 PM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the help guys. I picked it up today. I ended up getting it for $29.5K OTD. Invoice on the car was 26,xxxx and louisiana sales tax is 9% so i guess i didn't end up that bad off.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chris'smax
thanks for all the help guys. I picked it up today. I ended up getting it for $29.5K OTD. Invoice on the car was 26,xxxx and louisiana sales tax is 9% so i guess i didn't end up that bad off.

Congratulations.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:48 PM
jondimellow

25680 is 2005 invoice price. 2006 models are slightly more expensive.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:28 PM
IMAKIWI

And you'll never get the same number from two places.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 PM
SaigonaZn69

Originally Posted by chris'smax

29 OTD!? What about the national sales event that nissan is having right now? Did they include that deal in there as well? 29 was for the base model only?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
EricTX

Originally Posted by SaigonaZn69
29 OTD!? What about the national sales event that nissan is having right now? Did they include that deal in there as well? 29 was for the base model only?
Is 29 OTD too high or a good deal? what is this sales event u speak of? Does that include the Z?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
SaigonaZn69

Originally Posted by EricTX
Is 29 OTD too high or a good deal? what is this sales event u speak of? Does that include the Z?
well for base isnt 29 a bit high? www.nissanusa.com yeh it does
Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM
pingrr

A dealer around here has an internet department were you can get prety good deals. Here is what they offer. This is the place were I bought my 05 touring last year.

http://www.herbgordonspecials.com/35...350Zcoupe.html
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Antwerpman

It's all relative. Are you guys ready for the salesmans perspective? First of all the facts: No the Z is not included in the "Bottom Line Sales Event" The only time theres been any sales on the Z is when the 2006s were about to come out about this time last year so they put a $1,000 factory rebate on all the 2005s to help move them. The way Nissan looks at it, (or the way I choose to beleive Nissan looks at it) is the Z is a sports car, no one needs it so they don't offer anything on it. Thats why there is a $2,250 rebate on the Sentra, to help college students getting a first car and people with bad credit and such, the Sentra is practical.

Heres my perspective on the buying a car though. I think everyone should pay sticker for every car no matter what. I know that seems ridiculous but hear me out. Buying a car is insane now, we spend days to months shopping around different dealerships looking for the best price and sometimes we even forget about the car we're trying to buy. Imagine for a second if everyone paid sticker. You could simply walk onto a lot, browse the inventory and see if they have the car you want, look at the sticker price and determine if it is in your range. A Salesman would not be feared because if there was no discussion over price he would simply be a guide more so than a salesman. Someone there to sincerely tell you about the product you are interested in and help you pick the right one for you (the approach I take in general). There would be no 2 hours in a glass cubicle with him walking back and fourth to check with the manager. The salesman would have to treat you well because since price is the same everywhere (in my hypethetical dream world) it would actually go back to the service of your dealership and finding the right car. No more, haggling the lowest price and then getting it from another dealership.

Another benefit of paying sticker is the service you get after you buy the car. When a customer comes in to buy from me and beats me down until they are $500 under invoice and then they come back in and want a scratch fixed (I'm sorry but it happens) or new floor mats or something like that, I can't do it because there is no money left in that deal.

The benefits carry beyond just the car market, this haggle for the best deal mentality is affecting the economy in general. Look at it like this, I work a lot here, I work a lot for people to come in and haggle down my income. That effects my ability to help thier industry. When I'm making minimal deals I can't go spend what I am supposed to spend on other things in life. I can't think of any strong enough examples right now but I hope you guys understand what I mean with that point.

If nothing else think of your salesman. Yes you are right, there are tons of little profits hidden in every car that will make the dealership and the company money, but all those are tucked so far under Invoice the only person that loses is the salesman that has spent his time (hopefully) doing everything he can to help you out. We are only paid on the gross held over Invoice.

Ultimately my point relating to this thread though is it's really what the car is worth to you. Everyone seems to feel if they pay sticker for a car they are being "ripped off", but that is what Nissan (or whatever make) has deemed their car worth to the consumer market. One of the most common benefits I see listed about the Z on this forum is the price, because it is a well priced car as is.

I've posted this rant because I have been working at my local Nissan dealership for a year (as of yesterday) solely to buy my Z. It's very frustrating to be part of things from the other side. Picture my ideal car buying world for a moment, think about it and let me know what exactly you think, because I want things to change.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
SergEK

Originally Posted by davidv
Yes. Asking for quotes is a waste of time. If you are a dealer, who do you pay attention to? A stranger on the phone or someone who is sitting in front of you ready to buy?
Thank you

DO your homework guys

KNow invoice and make an offer above that say 500 or so and take the car

Unless its a hard to find car (Honda Civic Si, FIT) your going to walk in and out in record time

It makes my job much easier when people know what they want to pay -- sure we make less money but my time is valuable and the quicker one deal is done the sales guy can move on to the next guy

And please --- dont be rude or combative --- just say this invoice price and I will make an offer of X dollars over that --- let them show you the invoice to show you all the options on the car and then everyone agrees on the exact figure BOOM into finance and your done

The reason why sales people ask you for a payment range is because we get dreamers everyday who want a Z for 200 month and Zero down with a 576 score --- the Z is not the right car by a long shot for this person

An informed buyer makes life easier -- a rude buyer will get crapped on so remember to be nice --- the next time your in for service/warraty issue youll thank yourself for making a friend there

EDIT: Just read the above post

Volume --- all new cars have hardly any profit --- prospect, make friends with customer and get referals

If you think your going to earn a living on walk-ups, good luck

I sold 14 Hondas in one month and with bonues I only made about 7K that month --- I love the product but my repeat buyers and referals make me more money over the long haul --- as a salesman good customer service will only help you --- if you want this as a career anyway

Far too many people make this a "I guess I will sell cars" career and suck --- they lie, they bend the rules and bring down the reputation of the brand -- they make my job harder because people come in defensive looking for a fight

If buyers work with sales people honestly than everyone gets what they want -- a sold unit

If your store doesnt pay bonuses look for another store and a better pay plan --- I make money as long as I sell units 15 units 1500 extra, 20 Units another 1500 on top that 3K in just bonus money PLUS weekend volume bonuses --- do you think I care if I make 75 for 6 hours of work on a grind customer? I would rather sell the guy in an hour and make the same money plus move on to another customer

Some stores suck with money and many Nissan stores dont sell enough units to pay their sales people well ---- too many salesman, not enough traffic = small checks

FWIW shop around for a good Toyota/Honda store --- I'd be willing to bet youd make more money

Last edited by SergEK; 09-07-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
rotaryrocket7

An easy way to figure a bottom proce to start with is (this is a general rule of thumb) to multiply the retail price by .9 or so. There is generally enough markup that you'll end up somewhere around invoice with that calculation.

if you're buying an 06 right now you can get a bit more because the car is already a year old in buying terms (ie. if you sold next year the car would be a few months old to you, but a year old in the mind of buyers), plus they'll be looking to make sure lots are clear for 07 delivery shortly.

I bought an Enth. for 27250 new, I also had them put on a clearbra at cost. I felt like I got a good deal. Just be patient, and don't be rude as mentioned above. Being rude won't reduce the price. Know all of the reasons why the price should be lowered an keep hammering them home. Eventually you'll come to a bottom price from the dealer's perspective and the increments of movement will be small 50's or 100 dollars.

The bottom line is information is the key, be an informed buyer.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:32 PM
xthejokerx

Hey guys, I have a quick question. How do you negotiate with dealers if your english isn't all that good? Im probably going with my dad since he knows more about negotiating than me, and I don't want to get tricked because of language problem. Do I just ask for someone that can speak my language?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:29 PM
rotaryrocket7

Numbers/math s universal, so if you have any question about what's actually being offered make them write it out. You can bring an interpreter with, or if they have someone working there it may work out. Just take your time, never committ to anything without having it in writing and countersigned by them. If they committ to giving you something (free oil changes, maintance, etc...) make them write it on the sales invoice!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
LayinLo

Originally Posted by Antwerpman

Heres my perspective on the buying a car though. I think everyone should pay sticker for every car no matter what. I know that seems ridiculous but hear me out. Buying a car is insane now, we spend days to months shopping around different dealerships looking for the best price and sometimes we even forget about the car we're trying to buy. Imagine for a second if everyone paid sticker. You could simply walk onto a lot, browse the inventory and see if they have the car you want, look at the sticker price and determine if it is in your range. A Salesman would not be feared because if there was no discussion over price he would simply be a guide more so than a salesman. Someone there to sincerely tell you about the product you are interested in and help you pick the right one for you (the approach I take in general). There would be no 2 hours in a glass cubicle with him walking back and fourth to check with the manager. The salesman would have to treat you well because since price is the same everywhere (in my hypethetical dream world) it would actually go back to the service of your dealership and finding the right car. No more, haggling the lowest price and then getting it from another dealership.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I've posted this rant because I have been working at my local Nissan dealership for a year (as of yesterday) solely to buy my Z. It's very frustrating to be part of things from the other side. Picture my ideal car buying world for a moment, think about it and let me know what exactly you think, because I want things to change.

Interesting concept. An informed buyer and an honest dealer. This would be ideal. As you stated, everyone would win. Too bad the car sales business doesn't opperate this effectively.