Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Worth buying salvage 350z and repairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 AM
dudegetalife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth buying salvage 350z and repairing?

I found a 350z at a salvage yard that isn't that bad for 9g's here's a few details

14,xxx miles

Needs for sure new rims all around.

Needs back right tailight.

Could use a new hood .

Right side fender replacement maybe bumper 2

Front shocks/springs replacement.

It's an auto v6 touring edition damage was listed as fire and it looks like their was a fire on the OUTSIDE of the car near the right side fender, but it's only on the right side fender and doesn't look like it touched the engine compartment but it might have gotten hot. Airbags ok so it might have been arson since 1 rim is gone and another is badly damaged/cracked.

Any ideas on total repair or how after you get it fixed to make the title say reconditioned or something since insurance won't insure salvage cars.

Also any thoughts on if it's worth it, i'll let a body shop do all the body work since i trust them and they did my mustang really good after my wreck. I"m in tx b.t.w. I can upload pics if that will help. Everything inside looks good.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
reptile718

Upload some PICS, from what you saying it does not sound all too bad. Have you started it up and tested everything out? For 9g's w/14k is not bad at all. You could just get aftermarket parts to replace the damaged factory items, rims, tail lights, hood, ect. prob. cheaper then what a dealer or even a mechanic would charge for new factory parts.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 AM
dudegetalife

i haven't even went to test it out, friend sent me the pics that he took and yard owner gave to him. It's an 05 b.t.w. looks pretty nice but the front might have more work i might have to go and check it out even though it's 35+ miles away
Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 PM
reptile718

It looks like it has been in an accident but nothing serious. From the looks of it not much needs to be replaced except the wheels everything else can be fixed without replacement. One thing about that paint color is that it is expensive to repair and blend in but looks great IMO. GL with it and deff. go and check it out. Take a camera with you and get some good pics of the engine bay to get a better idea of what happened, also look underneath for any sign of hidden damages.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:07 PM
dudegetalife

k, thx i'll probably go this weekend, anything specific i should look for underneath the car or in the engine bay?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:10 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have to ask, don’t do it. A pro may be able to buy, restore and sell vehicles at a profit. If you are a novice forget it.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 PM
clearsector

dont do it
Old 09-02-2006, 05:47 AM
reptile718

It doesn't look like a lot of work to me but the pix are not the best. Let him get some better pix first and then we can judge what he should do. If it was just exterior body work like in the pix I would be all over that. Curious if there was any damage to the engine bay or suspension, it all looks fine, the damn air bags didn't even go off which is a plus b/c they are expensive to replace

BTW its not a touring edition so whoever told you that was misinformed or simply does not know what they are talking about, looks more like an enthusiast based on the optioned seen above. Still a good buy if the damage is just to the exterior IMO.

Last edited by reptile718; 09-02-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:56 AM
SaigonaZn69

coming from a cheap family that only buys salvaged cars(Honda Accord 98 EX, Honda Accord 99 EX, Honda Odysee 98', Acura TL 97') because of a "family discount"(relative that repairs these pieces of ****) I would advise you not to buy a salvaged car. If this car is your daily driver then don't buy it FOR SURE. If it is a project car and a car to have fun with, then yes go with it. I'm telling you right now, there's a lot of missing stuff inside the car that you won't notice until a few months in after driving it. A lot of electrical problems occur as well. For example, when I open my door with the key in my 97' TL it only opens the driver side door, all the other doors don't open. For me to open the other 3 doors I have to lean over and press the switch that opens all the doors because the switch on my driver's side doesnt work. A friend of mine fixed the fuse to get all 4 doors to open up on the driver side, but when he fixed it, the doors dont open automatically when I turn off the car and take out the keys from the ignition. Trust me man, salvaged cars suck a$$, not to mention if you took off any of the panels and looked inside you will be surprised to see all the material that is missing. My next car will be new. I will not deal with salvaged cars ever, my dad is the main one that buys these pieces of crap all the time. Another thing is, if you plan on keeping this car for a long time and trying to sell it, good luck with that because it is hard as hell to find some1 to buy a salvaged car with a decent price. Sure, 9g's sounds good right now, but in the longrun it's just not worth it, problems occur, trying to resell the car is hard, lots of parts are missing that you won't find out till later.... it's just not worth it...
Old 09-02-2006, 12:07 PM
baileyrx

the fire looks to be right where the battery & fuse box sit. Also, the ecu & other electronic control equipment are in the kick panel right at the passangers feet. Otherwise, not to bas looking.

edit: The body also looks twisted somewhat. By looking at how the wheels sit in each of the wheelwells.

Last edited by baileyrx; 09-02-2006 at 12:09 PM.