Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

$600 Documentary Fee ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 AM
tonyc4s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question $600 Documentary Fee ??

Ok here is the background. Working a deal for the 07 Touring with Nav.

Got a dealer to go with Invoice on the car. But then there is a $600 Doc fee on the Buyers Order. Its the only additional fee (outside of license and tax) so far, buts is so large I need to ask what you guys think? The salesperson told me its "a cost of doing business" and all dealers have it. And then the speech on I am already getting the car for invoice..they need to cover cost...bla..bla...bla..

I do think I have a good deal, is it normal and should I just let this go? Thanks !!

MSRP: $37,115
Invoice: $34,075

OTD: $37,064.34
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Scarab440

Originally Posted by tonyc4s
Ok here is the background. Working a deal for the 07 Touring with Nav.

Got a dealer to go with Invoice on the car. But then there is a $600 Doc fee on the Buyers Order. Its the only additional fee (outside of license and tax) so far, buts is so large I need to ask what you guys think? The salesperson told me its "a cost of doing business" and all dealers have it. And then the speech on I am already getting the car for invoice..they need to cover cost...bla..bla...bla..

I do think I have a good deal, is it normal and should I just let this go? Thanks !!

all dealers have it its not usually that large. its a great place to build extra profit into the deal.

are they covering your registration/plates/title/inspection sticker? if they are part of that fee would go twards these services.

the getting the car for invoice is meaningless if the just move the $500 over invoice that they may want into the dealers fees

Last edited by Scarab440; 03-21-2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:11 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a rip... they are scamming $500 from you. usually this service covers the tags and stuff but since you are paying for those they are just dbl charging you.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

$600 is ridiculous. Whatever documents are required by the dealer are his responsibility not yours. I call BS on this one.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:35 AM
tonyc4s

Originally Posted by davidv
$600 is ridiculous. Whatever documents are required by the dealer are his responsibility not yours. I call BS on this one.
Thats what I thought.... So granted, would you guys say 500 over invoice is good? or just decent?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 AM
tonyc4s

and thank you guys for your replys...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

What state are you in?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 AM
tonyc4s

Originally Posted by i8acobra
What state are you in?
Florida
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM
I1DER

In many types of sales, those are called "junk fees". Yes many have them add it and if all their competitors in the area have them for the same amount, you probably just have to deal with it. They are charging a fee for what they normally have to do. You might ask them if they have a secretary fee to cover their secretaries, a phone fee to cover their phone bill, a brochure fee to cover their handouts, etc. etc. It is a junk fee.

You could also counter back that you have a 'buyers expense" fee to cover your cost of driving around and selecting a dealer and a car. If they won't pay your $500 buyers expense fee, you shouldn't have to pay their sellers expense fee.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats what I thought.... So granted, would you guys say 500 over invoice is good? or just decent?

My target price for this vehicle is $35,359. I don’t like the idea of the dealer giving you a low ball, then tacking on additional charges. The next deal that you make, they will figure something else to add on. These guys are playing games.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
desiZ

I paid $45 here in CA
Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Blacryan

As somebody stated above, dont pay it. Tell them to take the fee off or take 500 off the damn fee than you will go forward.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
rglbegl

$65 is the most i have ever charged for it. That fee is left up to me, cuz I am the one who has to DOC it. Anything over $100 is a scam!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:42 AM
i8acobra

Since you're in Florida, here's some info for you:

"Similarly, charging documentary preparation fees ("doc fees") is not necessarily prohibited under Massachusetts law. However, it has also been questioned by consumers and challenged in other states as a means to hide a "profit center." Some states have chosen to regulate their doc fees through various types of means. For example, some states require that dealers disclose that documentary preparation fees represent additional profit to the dealer (Florida), while others have simply capped the fee (Ohio, California and Washington). Some states require that documentary preparation fees be disclosed, not preprinted on the form, and negotiated as part of the transaction. In some states, consumers have alleged that doc fees exceeding certain amounts are "unconscionable" whether or not the disclosure of the fee satisfied applicable regulations."

From: http://www.mccarter.com/www2/showarticle.aspx?Show=721

Tell them you're willing to pay $34,425 plus a $75 doc fee and sales tax and not a penny more.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Day-Day

$349 is the amount pre-printed on the form where I just purchased my Z and its labeled as "processing fees". I had asked the sales manager before having them bring the car in from another location if there were any other fees and he said "no".

The $349 is on the "Retail Buyers Order" form which was put together in the "finance" office at the dealership and it has the tally of price, fees, taxes, etc. The finance person started telling me that's its "on the form nothing to do about it, blah, blah, blah". When I finally got the sales manager to remove the $349, the finance person took it off of the agreed-to-price of the car and left the $349 in the tally sheet since it had to be there for some purpose.

Purchasing the car was really quite pleasant until I made it to the finance office. This step in the process was a little irritating because along with the $349 processing fee issue, the finance person was pushing hard to sell other items such as an oil service contract, extended warranty, gap insurance (if I was financing through them and actually had a gap), etc. (I don't know what all he was trying to sell since I tuned him out.)
Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 AM
i8acobra

I just always ask the dealer up front, "what are all of your fixed fees". This way, instead of fighting over whether they are real fees or just extra profit, I simply negotiate a price knowing that this fee is going to be added on later. If I'm willing to pay $500 over invoice and there's a $300 fee, I'll offer $200 over invoice and let them add the fee later.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Day-Day

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I just always ask the dealer up front, "what are all of your fixed fees". This way, instead of fighting over whether they are real fees or just extra profit, I simply negotiate a price knowing that this fee is going to be added on later. If I'm willing to pay $500 over invoice and there's a $300 fee, I'll offer $200 over invoice and let them add the fee later.
Good point. This is what I did during a previous car purchase at another dealership. I don't remember what they labeled the fee, but it was the same type of thing for $300 or so. We were clear on the front end so I accounted for it during the discussions with the salesman.

I asked the Sales Manager up front this time around and he did not mention the processing fee that comes into play at the final step of purchasing the car. (Or maybe he forgot? ) I should have specifically asked about the "document fee, processing fee, or a fee of some other name that is pre-printed on the buyer's form" since it appears that every dealership does this.

Or, it is better to just refuse to pay it after negotiating with the salesman since, if he's in on the game, he's counting on this fee be added back to the "agree-to price"?

For me, its less stressful for everyone to be open about it during the negotiations.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
jackie chan

dealers cant keep the doors open on holdback alone. $600 over invoice for a car whether it be a fee or just selling price is a very fair deal.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
SargentZ

My document fees for my 07 are going to be 150. Its funny because the fee is built into the form in bold as a line item that can't be removed. Usually you can't get out of them in a straightfoward manner. What you do is negotiate the car to a lower price to offset the doc fee. Unfortuantely I was unble to do this cause of the VPP discount I'm using. I'm already getting a great deal so I didn't complain.
SZ
Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 PM
ShrinkyDink
Banned

All that matters is if overall it's a fair price. It's moronic to think the dealer isn't entitled to make a profit.

Quick Reply: $600 Documentary Fee ??