Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

In a market for a Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In a market for a Z

Hey guys,
just signed up for the site. I am considering picking up a 350Z. I am coming from Subaru world where I've done a few things and now I think I am ready to step up to a 350Z. Since 03 is really in my price range right now, I think I am going to look for a decent condition one with low miles. Since I am not very familiar with all the quirks of each model year, if you guys can give me an idea of what I should ask about when looking at an 03, that would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty car knowledgable so I can spot obvious things. I am looking for things like chronic transmission grinding, shifter in a bowl of rocks issues, head gasket failure affinity, etc. The more I know going in, the better decision I think I will make. So, any known issues in 03s with:

1. Engine - funny noises, belt failures, rattles, exhaust issues, CELs, misfires, hesitations, electrical/ignition issues

2. Suspension & brakes - clunks, noises, premature strut failures, worn bushings, leaks, wheel bearings, steering issues

3. Interior & exterior - cracks, rattles, fading, window seals, electrical

I understand basic wear and tear is reasonable. I am not looking for my struts blew at X miles or my brakes wore out at X miles. These things happen and are greatly dependant on usage. For example, STIs have cronic strut clunks and interior starts to rattle after a year or two. Earlier WRXs have weaker gear sets so given enough abuse, people wouls strip and gears and destroy the synchros.

Any info you can provide, will be greatly appreciated. My 1st post Thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:41 AM
cubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot 03's have tranny issues, like most cars the Z will start to rattle after some time... i'd get 2004.5+ models
Old 04-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire feathering needs to be fixed.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I could search the threads identifying major problem areas, and link them here. But you are well capable of doing that yourself.

For quantitative reliability data check Consumer Reports.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Ziggyrama

OK, I have looked around and seems like the gear grind is common on the early models. I am only considering MT option so I should be on the look out for that. THe drive train warranty is 5years/60K miles, correct? Just verifying so I know how much room I have there to spot issues down the road, dependant on how much milage the car has.

Paul350Z, can you explain to me what you mean by tire feathering issue? AFAIK, that is usually an alignment issue, propbably toe, that will destroy the tires, especially wider ones like on a Z.

Keep them coming guys. I will do the searches in a mean time. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:16 AM
cubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

feathering issue is fixed by alignment
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
OK, I have looked around and seems like the gear grind is common on the early models. I am only considering MT option so I should be on the look out for that. THe drive train warranty is 5years/60K miles, correct? Just verifying so I know how much room I have there to spot issues down the road, dependant on how much milage the car has.

Paul350Z, can you explain to me what you mean by tire feathering issue? AFAIK, that is usually an alignment issue, propbably toe, that will destroy the tires, especially wider ones like on a Z.

Keep them coming guys. I will do the searches in a mean time. Thanks!
Correct. Drivetrain warranty is 60 months/60,000 miles.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM
davidv

Question

So how is the shopping coming along?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Ziggyrama

Hey guys,
well, I found my Z I ended up finding an 03 Base with custom leather and heated seats, 38K miles, Citation Red and closed the deal last Thursday. I ended up paying $17.5K for it. The tires have been recently replaced on the car too so almost new rubber. The car has the Gold Extended Warranty on it so I am covered for a long, long time on it. The previous owner was very good as far as maintenance so the car is in phenomenal condition. The interior is extremely clean. The car was garaged so the paint looks very good. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase and now I'm officially on the honeymoon with the car Just getting used to it.

All this being said, it does have some issues that will be addressed very soon:

1. rear axle is clicking
2. front end alignment is off, I'm seeing feathering on the front tires
3. something is rattling inside the dash, passenger side, sounds like a metal plate

I made an appointment with a local dealer and the car will be serviced for all of these issues. I did my research and the warranty should cover all these issues. I found a TSB for all 3 so I think I'm in good shape.

And most importantly, my wife likes the car

First mod......SSR GT7 wheels, silver with machined lip, just came in the other day, will shave off 6lbs per corner in the rear and 5lbs in the front. The car should perform significantly better with these wheels. Can't wait to get them on but I will wait until all warranty issues are fixed before I have them installed.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 05-02-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. Post some pics of the new ride when you get a chance.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
davidv

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Hey guys,
well, I found my Z I ended up finding an 03 Base with custom leather and heated seats, 38K miles, Citation Red and closed the deal last Thursday. I ended up paying $17.5K for it. The tires have been recently replaced on the car too so almost new rubber. The car has the Gold Extended Warranty on it so I am covered for a long, long time on it. The previous owner was very good as far as maintenance so the car is in phenomenal condition. The interior is extremely clean. The car was garaged so the paint looks very good. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase and now I'm officially on the honeymoon with the car Just getting used to it.

All this being said, it does have some issues that will be addressed very soon:

1. rear axle is clicking
2. front end alignment is off, I'm seeing feathering on the front tires
3. something is rattling inside the dash, passenger side, sounds like a metal plate

I made an appointment with a local dealer and the car will be serviced for all of these issues. I did my research and the warranty should cover all these issues. I found a TSB for all 3 so I think I'm in good shape.

And most importantly, my wife likes the car

First mod......SSR GT7 wheels, silver with machined lip, just came in the other day, will shave off 6lbs per corner in the rear and 5lbs in the front. The car should perform significantly better with these wheels. Can't wait to get them on but I will wait until all warranty issues are fixed before I have them installed.