LouiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSia
are base models that bad =/ =[ =[ =[??
no cuz i have a base and i love it jus as much as if i had a touring
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Silver04Z

Base models are not bad. Buy a 2007 model.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Petey

It's likely they screwed up, not that they're screwing you. Nevertheless, take it back, and in a cordial manner explain what has happened and say, "I'm sure you'll want to make this right." If they don't immediately offer you a check or if the number isn't what you expected, then have a number in mind you'll accept and give it to them. Let them know it's this number or you're returning the car. If they still balk, then you tell them, cordially again, that you're certain they would prefer to avoid court.
Make sure you also get back the sales tax on the refunded amount.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 AM
zeekle

only thing you can do is take it back.

If that happens no harm no foul
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Fluid1

Your friend is a dumbass. The dealership? That's a given.

Carmax gives you 5 days to return a car, no questions asked.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

return that crap now! Bases aren't bad just VERY BASIC, i couldn't live with one of those, no leather, HID, NAVI, traction control, the list goes on...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Carmax.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 AM
zeekle

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
return that crap now! Bases aren't bad just VERY BASIC, i couldn't live with one of those, no leather, HID, NAVI, traction control, the list goes on...
not only that he most likely paid too much because it was most likely sold at a enth price.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only bad thing about the Base model is the Cruise Control.. You can't retro-fit it. evertything else can be..

If the Base Had Cruise, it would probably sell better than any other model due to not having traction control.. Adding LSD is an easy task.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Tell him to return it fast. I am selling mine for 25k if someone wants it how it sits, or he can buy it stock for 21k once i finish putting everything back. I can promise you it is a lot cleaner than the car he just bought.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Ztalker

return it within 5 days and no explaination is needed.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonlikmiballs
Carmax sold my friend an 05 Enthusiast. two days ago. He brings it over. I notice it doesnt have aluminum pedals, no hids, no traction control, or cruise. Definately a baes model. He shows me the sticker from the window and it clearly says enthusiat model on it. I know he can return it within 5 days, but is there anything else that can be done.
ROFLMAO!! THEY DID IT AGAIN!! same **** happend to me when I bought my first "enthusiast" from carmax. I politely pointed out this error about a month after driving the base. They let me return the car but I was forced to buy another car. I'm sure I could have argued my way out of it but there was a PPW available with lower miles and it was the same price. They did cover the transportation fees on the car since it was in another state and they refunded me transportation fees on the first car as well. All in all it worked out for me. Just tell him to be polite about it first before he goes beserk on them.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonlikmiballs
Carmax sold my friend an 05 Enthusiast. two days ago. He brings it over. I notice it doesnt have aluminum pedals, no hids, no traction control, or cruise. Definately a baes model. He shows me the sticker from the window and it clearly says enthusiat model on it. I know he can return it within 5 days, but is there anything else that can be done.
And what else do you think needs to be done? He can return and get a full refund.

Maybe they should pay give him a million dollar settlement for his grief. Or maybe the sales manager should be taken out an shot.

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 06-26-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
trackpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*** carmax. You know how they show you a picture of a car then say that they'd never sell that car to you because it used to be wrecked???
Well anyways i was looking for an S2K last year and looked at this one and it was missing the side emblem on one side for some reason and the other side emblem was misplaced. So the closer i look the entire front end was repainted, and not very good... So obviously the whole front end needed replaced or repaired. I couldn't believe that ****!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
zeekle

Originally Posted by bailey bill
And what else do you think needs to be done? He can return and get a full refund.

Maybe they should pay give him a million dollar settlement for his grief. Or maybe the sales manager should be taken out an shot.

bill

lol you got that right.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Korki Buchek

Originally Posted by bailey bill

bill
I hate to disagree (and I usually do agree with you). The problem is that they sold him something that is different from what they claimed it to be.

It seems like he made a deal with them under the belief that he was purchasing a specific good worth a couple thousand dollars more than what he actually got. So, even if he only paid a "base model price," if I were in his shoes I'd be pretty upset.

On one hand, maybe Carmax also made a mistake and they should simply refund the purchase price of the car no questions asked. The fact still remains that they are in the business of selling used cars and they shouldn't make this kind of mistake. Especially when it's a dealership that passes itself off as trustworthy and "straight up." And especially when it's a mistake worth several thousand dollars.

On the other, it might be that Carmax, like every other used car lot I've been to, is in the business of scraping every last penny out of customers using any trick they can come up with. I don't have any problem with a salesman making a huge commission by selling a car at or above sticker. As a buyer, you ought to know this stuff in advance. What I do have a problem with is where they cross the line from "hard negotiating" to outright lying.

Recently I had an experience with a dealer where they (very large, very well reputed dealership) advertised a car as "Nissan Certified." I negotiated a deal on the car and drove over two hours to pick it up. When I got there I couldn't find a certified sticker on the window and got suspicious. The guy kept handing me papers while the "manager looked into it." Finally, I took the keys, placed them back on the desk and refused to sign anything more until they produced the certified warranty paperwork.

The guy assured me that the car was certified and I assured him I wouldn't sign anything until he showed me the warranty. His manager then came out and apologized about the "mistake." At this point he opened their autotrader add to the thumbnail which did not contain the "certified" language and tried to tell me that we had entered an agreement on the car and I had to buy it.

I refused and stormed out. The next day I called back after speaking to a lawyer to tell them to cut the price by the cost of certification. The manager said to me verbatim "I've been around the block before, you're not really going to sue us, you can't do anything about it." They then refused to refund my deposit.

I was mad and would have expected more than just the ability to walk away from the deal. In my mind we had an agreement, I should be entitled to what I agreed to. I got my deposit back.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 AM
zeekle

carmax (at this point) hasn't been given the chance to make it right. I don't see how you can really compare the two stories.

Someone made a minor mistake at the lot but the person that was buying it saw what the price was.. saw what features it had and bought it. I assume he was happy with the price when he bought it otherwise he wouldn't have.

If they don't drop the price or refund his money then maybe its time to bring out the pitchforks but for now I will say a smart buyer is an informed buyer
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
I hate to disagree (and I usually do agree with you). The problem is that they sold him something that is different from what they claimed it to be.

It seems like he made a deal with them under the belief that he was purchasing a specific good worth a couple thousand dollars more than what he actually got. So, even if he only paid a "base model price," if I were in his shoes I'd be pretty upset.

On one hand, maybe Carmax also made a mistake and they should simply refund the purchase price of the car no questions asked. The fact still remains that they are in the business of selling used cars and they shouldn't make this kind of mistake. Especially when it's a dealership that passes itself off as trustworthy and "straight up." And especially when it's a mistake worth several thousand dollars.

I don't think we disagree at all. The original post said:

"I know he can return it within 5 days, but is there anything else that can be done."

If he can indeed return it for a full refund, then CarMax has met their ethical test. Yes, the buyer has a right to expect CarMax to take the car back and give him a refund (in lieu of some other mutually satisfactory solution). So my sarcastic response was to indicate that I can't see that anything else needs to be done, either from and ethical standpoint, or a legal on.

CarMax made a mistake, and CarMaX will apparently make a full refund.

Seems to me that should be the end of tht.

Now, if the buyer wouold really prefer to keep the car and get some price adjustment, then he should present that alternative to CarMax.. And CarMax will probably be receptive, but they are not really obligated (legally or ethically) to do that.

bill
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
dkmesa350z

he should have known what he was buying before buying it, tough noogies for him

Quick Reply: Carmax lied