Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying Z this Weekend - Track vs Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 08:41 PM
zeagen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Z this Weekend - Track vs Touring

I'm going to buy a Z this weekend and currently looking at a blue Track vs the lemans sunset Touring. I have been reading posts on the differences (brakes/wheels) between the two but when I test drove both cars for a short run on a winding road, it really seemed the Track was much better in the handling and feel of the car going through the turns. I'm wondering if its just me or has anyone else felt the difference as well when driving both cars.

I really like the color of the Touring(Sunset) over the Track(Blue) but can't get over the difference in the drive of the Track. Is there differences in the steering/suspension as well with the Track or could there just be something wrong with the Touring model I drive? Could adding different wheels make the difference with the Touring? Appreciate your feedback since I'm buying this weekend. thanks..........
Old 05-22-2003, 09:10 PM
chaz

there are no suspension differences between the two.

where did you find a blue track? ellisville?

I bought a blue track last weekend, and haven't looked back since.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:32 PM
zeroday

If it was an automatic touring model it would have had smaller 17 inch wheels...that could make it handle slightly different. Other than that, I can't think of anything that would make the track feel like it handled better.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:35 AM
julian

the 18's will have a lot better turn in response and overall grip. pat yourself on the back if you were able to discern the differences on a public road. i felt the difference pretty easily on a handling track, although i could feel turn in on a straightaway too.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:59 AM
2003z

The difference is that the Rays weigh about 8 lbs or so less than the touring's 18s. thats 32 lbs of unsprung weight, so the Track will feel a little more nimble and lighter.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:51 AM
k2we

I've driven both models and I saw no difference in the handeling or feel. I chose the Touring for it had all the comfort options.. Paying all that extra for the track to get the lighter wheels and larger brakes just didn't sit well with me. The standard brakes in the "Z" are among the best around.. Unless you intend to drive on the track, spending the extra money for the Brembo's is a waste.. And the lighter wheels (32 Lbs) really won't make a difference most of us can see.. I'm pleased with my choice and the friend who bought the track model now wishes he bought a Touring model.. Think it over carefully.. Place all the options for each car in a seperate side-by-side list and put the final price on the bottom.. Compare them carefully and then make your choice..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 8998 miles since Sept 17th....
Old 05-23-2003, 08:47 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default ....this was an easy decision for me.

Lighter wheels, brembo brakes, aero kit

VS.

The famous bose system and heated seats & mirrors + heaviest overall

Heated seats in my gf's jetta are nice... but by the time they heat up, its already warm inside the car from the AC/heater.
I had heated mirrors on my Z32, I used it maybe about 4 times in the 7 years i've had it. Anyone put these things to good use? I guess it depends on where you live/local weather.

Comfort/Luxury, i'd probably go with the G35C ... but any of these packages on the Z are guaranteed to put a smile on your face when you drive.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:26 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by 2003z
The difference is that the Rays weigh about 8 lbs or so less than the touring's 18s. thats 32 lbs of unsprung weight, so the Track will feel a little more nimble and lighter.
I think that's reaching a little...the difference wouldn't be noticeable enough to be 'felt'.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:03 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Default Re: ....this was an easy decision for me.

Originally posted by zxsaint
Lighter wheels, brembo brakes, aero kit

VS.

The famous bose system and heated seats & mirrors + heaviest overall

Heated seats in my gf's jetta are nice... but by the time they heat up, its already warm inside the car from the AC/heater.
I had heated mirrors on my Z32, I used it maybe about 4 times in the 7 years i've had it. Anyone put these things to good use? I guess it depends on where you live/local weather.

Comfort/Luxury, i'd probably go with the G35C ... but any of these packages on the Z are guaranteed to put a smile on your face when you drive.
I agree with ZX on this one. In my heart, I really wanted the SB Track (mostly because of the Rays/Brembos). But at the time I ordered (1/15/02), Nissan had not published pictures of the spoiler package. I was picturing some big EVO looking thing. Oh, and my wife wanted leather. So we ordered a touring model. Well, we've since learned high quality aftermarket leather is available for under a grand and the Bose blows but such is life.

In the end, it's a personal choice with no wrong decision. Enjoy!
Old 05-23-2003, 06:42 PM
SunsetZ

Interesting the two cars you mentioned. I have a Lemans Touring and have decided to trade for a DB track when the 04s come out. I have gone to the trackand Xdrear brakes are already toast with less than 5,000 miles on the car. To upgrade the brakes is over $4,000 then you still have the heavier wheels. I think the track is the way to go, but that is because mine will see a good deal of track time. You can also easily add aftermarket leather if wanted.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:41 PM
AmyCroft

Smile NNA - Listen - The top People want Track and touring both

Sounds like Touring - Leather and Track Brembos 18" Rays are what will sell.

Cheers Amy -