Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

NISMO U.S. Parts and Prices (inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Very disappointing. I hope someone from NNA looks at this thread and sees what a miserable failure this is going to be and sees the voice of the 350Z community.

WE'RE MAD AS HELL AND WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!
Old 06-06-2003, 03:03 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zwindsor
Don't forget that when you buy direct from overseas you still have to add in the cost of freight, Customs Duties and possibly fees. All this has been included.

But I still agree with everyone that the prices are still way too high and then to have to pay ridiculous dealer install prices just for warranty.

This program isn't going to do well for NNA.
But people are getting the stuff from Japan including all those costs cheaper. I believe you can get the sway bars and the suspension parts for about the $1800 Nissan just wants for the shocks/springs.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by MannishBoy
But people are getting the stuff from Japan including all those costs cheaper. I believe you can get the sway bars and the suspension parts for about the $1800 Nissan just wants for the shocks/springs.
I agree. I was justifying some of their mark-up...not all.
Gruppe-S has the whole S-tune set for $1750 (that would already include all the import costs).
Old 06-06-2003, 06:22 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by zwindsor
I agree. I was justifying some of their mark-up...not all.
Gruppe-S has the whole S-tune set for $1750 (that would already include all the import costs).
If we want NISMO parts through a Nissan affiliate, 4-6(?) regional centers who can access the parts quickly is the only way to get affordable parts. If every dealer had a few parts, they would have to charge the full part retail(HA!) for every customer, plus install.

Regional centers could maintain a small to medium inventory and distribute to owners or other dealers. On the other hand, owners could order directly and have their local Nissan dealer install them at flat rate, $70 per hr? 3-4 hrs=$210-280, sounds like a fair price on install we heard earlier, but the parts price has to come down, a lot! Or we continue to buy from japanparts, etc. and pay a dealer for install. The NISMO parts have a warranty from Nissan anyway, right? An install from a dealer would guarantee your covered for a bad install, you have the parts warranty already, you should have full coverage that way. Am I incorrect?

Isn't Courtesy Nissan already doing this on a smaller scale? Will dealers bid for a NISMO sub-franchise for the parts?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:27 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Boomer
If we want NISMO parts through a Nissan affiliate, 4-6(?) regional centers who can access the parts quickly is the only way to get affordable parts. If every dealer had a few parts, they would have to charge the full part retail(HA!) for every customer, plus install.

Regional centers could maintain a small to medium inventory and distribute to owners or other dealers. On the other hand, owners could order directly and have their local Nissan dealer install them at flat rate, $70 per hr? 3-4 hrs=$210-280, sounds like a fair price on install we heard earlier, but the parts price has to come down, a lot! Or we continue to buy from japanparts, etc. and pay a dealer for install. The NISMO parts have a warranty from Nissan anyway, right? An install from a dealer would guarantee your covered for a bad install, you have the parts warranty already, you should have full coverage that way. Am I incorrect?

Isn't Courtesy Nissan already doing this on a smaller scale? Will dealers bid for a NISMO sub-franchise for the parts?
The Nismo parts are supposed to be brought in through the Nissan pipeline therefore streamlining and keeping costs down of bringing the parts in so they wont have the costs that importers have so why so expensive??

As for the install, the example I gave was 4 hours to install Eibach springs, we had a friend of mine install them and it took less than 2 hours so get ready to get screwed.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by westpak
The Nismo parts are supposed to be brought in through the Nissan pipeline therefore streamlining and keeping costs down of bringing the parts in so they wont have the costs that importers have so why so expensive??

As for the install, the example I gave was 4 hours to install Eibach springs, we had a friend of mine install them and it took less than 2 hours so get ready to get screwed.
I think $280 is fair to install springs, shocks and swaybars by an ASE qualified mechanic, how much have independents been charging? I wouldn't want some yahoo down at the Texaco station who is self taught, charge me $100 and ruin one or more of my parts.

I believe in a fair price for services rendered, and I would want the installer to take the time to do it right. If someone could tell me how much they were charged by a qualified tech and how long it took, we could be more informed on what a fair price might be for the full suspension.

BTW, 2 hours sounds about right for springs to me. 4 hours might not be enough to install the full suspension, I don't know.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:30 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys, this is EXACTLY what I expected from NISMO, look, the new FP program from honda (factory performance) is a HUGE rip off as well, and IIRC the TRD stuff is pricey, the Votex for VW is pretty expensive too, I just think it is part of the deal with getting factory performance stuff, after all, we all know what a rip off NORMAL factory parts are.

my family is even in the dealership bussiness and I get parts AT WHOLESALE and 2/3 OFF for labor, and I still (most the time) go with aftermarket parts and install it myself. It would surprise you to know how LITTLE dealers make on parts (% wise) that is why the labor is so much.

Last edited by rodH; 06-06-2003 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:37 PM
2003z

Well, I for one am pissed! John Stramotos, the head of Nismo marketing for the US, specifically told me at the SEMA IAS that the parts would be significantly less then imported ones. BIG ****ING LIAR!

And for what its worth, he also told me the parts we import wouldn't be covered by nissans warranty, because they aren't from Nissan USA. However, did I mention, he's been known to lie?

btw, I think Mr350Z screen name is the same guy.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:51 PM
2003z

I don't need the name!
Old 06-06-2003, 09:16 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I think $280 is fair to install springs, shocks and swaybars by an ASE qualified mechanic, how much have independents been charging? I wouldn't want some yahoo down at the Texaco station who is self taught, charge me $100 and ruin one or more of my parts.

I believe in a fair price for services rendered, and I would want the installer to take the time to do it right. If someone could tell me how much they were charged by a qualified tech and how long it took, we could be more informed on what a fair price might be for the full suspension.

BTW, 2 hours sounds about right for springs to me. 4 hours might not be enough to install the full suspension, I don't know.
You missed my point, the dealer quoted 4 hours for just springs so for full setup they will probably charge 8 hours, face it they wont be fair.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:22 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nismo wont be a failure, rich dudes that know nothing(you know, the guys buyin atleast 50% of the Zs?) will walk in looking to buy a car, dealer will spout out a bunch of ******** and the guy will see 1800$ for suspension under warrenty as a great deal. he doesnt know he could get better for less, nor would he probably care, cause very good chance you could roll this into your car loan if its installed on delivery. also this might help resale value, vs an aftermarket kit, which would decrease resale value.

none the less, I wont touch nismo with a 10 foot pole, but not for nothing, I called all of this like 6 months ago. I knew nismo would be over priced and I always questioned the warrenty, laughing when people talked about warrentied superchargers and even turbochargers, they wont even warrenty an intake or headers.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by westpak
You missed my point, the dealer quoted 4 hours for just springs so for full setup they will probably charge 8 hours, face it they wont be fair.
I got your point westpak, I just wanted to know what a good independent shop would charge so I could take it to my dealer if I ever decide I want NISMO parts and point out the discrepancy. Some dealers will stick you good, but others can be dealt with on an informal way because they want a good customer to use them for all services.

Remember, I am in a relatively small market and have a personal relationship with my dealer that stretches back many years. I know you think every dealer will ream you, but I've been able to build a rationale for my dealings with dealerships over many yrs.

If I walk into a dealership with gold and diamond rings and a $1500 suit, ColeHahn dress loafers, $200 tie and custom dress shirts, etc., this is not lost on dealership personnel and they can become more eager to please. I'm not making a fashion statement, I'm saying I can pay, but I'm not an easy mark and I demand a lot for my dollars. If I show them a $ amount from a ASE certified tech installing an S-Tune for 60% of their labor quote, I can ask them to come down for me because I am an informed buyer and a successful person.

Don't think I'm a master, I'm not, but I can have ammo to indicate I'm not used to getting hosed and if they want my business, they better come down some or my $ goes elsewhere. Also, they can't expect me to look to them for continuing maintenance on my car or new performance parts that may come out that I am interested in purchasing. I've gotten screwed, blued and tatooed so many times over the yrs w/cars, I am hard to B.S. and most dealers don't even try. If they do, I stand up, say thanks for your time and walk. If they don't come running after me with a counter offer, I'm gone. They lose.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
fisherprice

Damn man I have been waiting all year for Nismo to come to the states.
I have been stacking my money. Waiting...and Waiting...
Damn this is upsetting.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by fisherprice
Damn man I have been waiting all year for Nismo to come to the states.
I have been stacking my money. Waiting...and Waiting...
Damn this is upsetting.
It looks like you should just go aftermarket to get your NISMO parts and find a reputable shop(ask the racers,they always know who is good) that has experience installng suspension parts and let them install it. There's not too much to go wrong, shocks start to leak oil, call your aftermarket supplier, springs break, ditto. I 've never heard about anything going wrong w/sways, I assume each part comes w/instructions an ASE trained tech can read, so what's the *****? Nissan shooting themselves in the foot again, stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:27 PM
jmark

It looks like you should just go aftermarket to get your NISMO parts and find a reputable shop(ask the racers,they always know who is good) that has experience installng suspension parts and let them install it. There's not too much to go wrong, shocks start to leak oil, call your aftermarket supplier, springs break, ditto. I 've never heard about anything going wrong w/sways, I assume each part comes w/instructions an ASE trained tech can read, so what's the *****? Nissan shooting themselves in the foot again, stupid, stupid, stupid.
I agree Boomer. They had a chance to be different and plenty of willing customers. Raceboy & Droid were right about NNA all along. Wonder if MR350Z will answer this thread?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
I agree Boomer. They had a chance to be different and plenty of willing customers. Raceboy & Droid were right about NNA all along. Wonder if MR350Z will answer this thread?
I doubt it. He didn't bother to open an e-mail I sent to him several weeks ago, why bother now?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are you guys even surprised at the price of these things? Japanese parts are gonna cost you, bottom line. Personally, I'd go aftermarket.

Bat™
Old 06-07-2003, 10:33 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting for the S-Tune to get to the states in the hope of getting a better deal. These prices are both good and bad. Good in that there is no point in waiting anymore, and bad in that they are still friggin expensive.

Ah well, at least I don't have to wait for the prices to drop anymore.

I'm interested in the following mods:
Borla Dual Exhaust
Nismo S-Tune Suspension
Stoptech 13" Front Brake.

$5,000 should cover it I guess.

Bummer about NISMO, that's for sure.

-D'oh!

PS. I just got back from a friend's B-Day party where I lost 3 games of beer-pong. Therefore, if the above message does not make sense, it's only because I'm loaded and not because I'm dumb or anything. Thanks for your cooperation.

-D!
Old 06-08-2003, 06:09 AM
jmark

I doubt it. He didn't bother to open an e-mail I sent to him several weeks ago, why bother now?
Don't feel bad he never answered my PM's either.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:14 AM
synth19

Guys, Nissan can NOT void a warranty if you simply installed mods at another facility. This is a common misconception that dealers are using to scare customers. Mods will not void your warranty by themselves. Check out the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Basically, If a mod is proven to cause a failure, THEN the repair won't be under warranty... Know your rights.

Quick Reply: NISMO U.S. Parts and Prices (inside)