Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

$500 over invoice good offer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Putaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking $500 over invoice good offer?

I went to Southern States Nissan in Apex, NC today looking for a 350Z (Loaded Performance Trim /w DVD). Here is what happened:

[I walk into the room]

Salesman: You here to see someone?

Me: No, I'm actually interested in the 350Z

[Salesman walks to the wall and gets a brochure]

Salesman: Alright, do you know a lot about the car?

Me: I'm fairly informed on it, I just came here to get a quote
Salesman: Which trim are you interested in?

Me: a loaded performance

Salesman: We have a red one on the lot

Me: no no, can you allocate one in Silverstone? Interior color is trivial, as far as options goes I want DVD Navi, 6MT.

Salesman: It's going to be around $34,000 for a loaded one, have you test driven one?

Me: I'm looking to get it for somewhat lower than that, otherwise I'm going to go to Central Carolina Nissan

Salesman: In this business, the second dealer you go to always wins. Because lets say we give you a quote and you take it to the second dealer, they will drop their prices down by $200-300 to earn your business. What kind of deal do we have to offer you to keep you from going to another dealership?

Me: I'm not going to promise you that I won't visit another dealership, because I, as a consumer will shop for the best deal around, if someone is selling me the same product for cheaper, of course I will purchase from them.

Salesman: Give me a minute? I'm going to talk to my manager and also get him to allocate the trim and options you specified.

[Salesman walks into the corner office of the manager. I see them talk for about 3-4 minutes and comes back with the sales manager]

Manager: The 350Z is a really popular car right now and we don't sell them below sticker.

Me: Oh really? When you go home tonight, check this website out called www.my350z.com and check the SouthEast Regional forum.

Manager: Never heard of a such website.

Me: Yeah? Because when you check the Regional forum, you will see some of your previous customers that came to this exact dealership that brought 350Z getting below sticker.

[Manager's face became paralyzed at this point and he paused a few seconds before he spoke again.]

Manager: Okay, you're right, we have sold 350Zs for below sticker before. Now what kind of offer do you want us to make to make sure that you won't go to another dealership. Lets start off at the invoice.

[I'm thinking - "hell yeah, I got the dealer to negociate the car using the invoice as a base, rather than the sticker!"]

Me: 5% over the base of the car, that's my offer. Also, base doesn't mean invoice, it means invoice minus the 3% holdback which is around $900 on this car.

[Pauses a few seconds, obviously calculating the deal in his mind. To my surprise he answered.]

Manager: 5% huh? That's about $1,500 over the base, I think that's in the ballpark. We can work with that.

[Writes down quote on one of those forms they have and hands me a copy - it said $31,500, which is only $500 OVER the invoice of the car!!!]

Me: Let me get my finances in order, I am either going to trade my car in or sell it before I purchase. I'm going to get my car serviced tomorrow before I let you guys appraise it for trade-in value.

Manager: Alright, take care

[Manager walks back to his corner office]

Salesman: *chuckles* I never seen his face change like that when you busted out with that "my350z.com" stuff! You're one mean negociator. You take care.

-Jason
Old 06-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Amp

Jason,

Thanks for sharing. I was at that dealership about a couple weeks ago checking out the red performance model they have. Seems like sales are slowing down. Both there and in Raleigh. I think I might hold out for for an 04' and hope that the Z is taken off the VPP black list but it's good to know what they are willing to come down that much on the price.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:51 PM
02celi

what is the invoice .... cuz my dealer i went to wouldnt go offa it either.....i gota wait 8 months to get my roadster though....