Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Vehicle Dynamic Control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM
SkyBox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Dynamic Control?

I am researching different 350's and trying to determine which model is best for me.

I cannot find much info on VDC and am wondering how helpful it is in slippery/gravely conditions.

It this feature helpful? From what I have read, it justs maintains the spin rate of the rear tires so they do not exceed the speed of the front, right?

Likes/dis-likes or additional info??
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
2007 Z

Every little bit helps when you need it. When you don't you turn it off.

I would personally be more concerned about the other options that come with the Touring+ that you are going to lose with a lower trim.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyBox
I am researching different 350's and trying to determine which model is best for me.

I cannot find much info on VDC and am wondering how helpful it is in slippery/gravely conditions.

It this feature helpful? From what I have read, it justs maintains the spin rate of the rear tires so they do not exceed the speed of the front, right?

Search this forum for VDC and I'm sure you'll get hundreds of hits on the subject.

The short version -

VDC attempts to keep the car from spinning out. Yes, it is designed to be helpful in wet, slippery conditions.

TCS attempts to keep the rear wheels from spinning, normally under acceleration.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
JAbraham03

According to the manual, I think VDC also helps limit the torque of the car so you can not get to max HP. At least mine says to turn it off if you want to achieve max HP. Guess it helps you not mess up your engine as easily. It will actually act as a governor on your RPM. (maybe I read into it too much but it seems as though it works that way.)
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAbraham03
According to the manual, 1) I think VDC also helps limit the torque of the car so you can not get to max HP. At least mine says to turn it off if you want to achieve max HP. Guess it helps you not mess up your engine as easily. 2) It will actually act as a governor on your RPM. (maybe I read into it too much but it seems as though it works that way.)
1) Only when the car is on the verge of becoming unstable.

2) No, it won't.

bill
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 AM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a GT and the VDC is fine. Frankly, since I tend to drive carefully, it never really engages, but I suppose it is a nice insurance against me being stupid sometime on a wet road.

I do autocross the car (not well). A couple times I have forgotten to turn the VDC off. I did this last weekend on a course that was very wet and slippery. There was one 180 degree apex where the second half of the turn was a LOT more slippery than the first half. I kept having problems as I was coming out of the turn putting too much power on and would lose the back end. When I forgot to turn the VDC off, this wasn't a problem and the VDC was able to hold the power just at the point necessary to keep the back end where it should be. It is really a strange feeling to be racing through autocross elements and pushing the petal down and yet have the car hold just enough power to stay tame. From these experiences, I think the VDC does work well. HOWEVER, it won't save a driver from their own stupidity.

If you get the car, I suggest trying autocross. It is fun and will make you a better and safer driver.