Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Trading Z, best option to not lose ass...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt213
I like the Z....but my biggest problem is it's too hard to mod. You can add a few things and bump the hp up a bit....but to really make it faster you need to go FI. And even there if you want to really see some gains you'll need to rebuild the engine. I just don't have that kind of money. There are plenty of cars out there that if you drop 5-10 grand into, they will absolutely fly.
But....looks like I'll be stuck with it for awhile.
Wait a minute. First you bought the Z when you were a kid, now mature and want a sportscar for a "mature person". Well, you have an 06 so you must have bought your Z 3 years ago if new. So "kid+3=mature", good!. The reasons you gave for not wanting to crash your car were that it was illegal and also do not want your insurance rate to go up. Nothing was said about the possibility of getting hurt in the act.
Then it turns out that the "biggest" problem with the Z is the fact that it is too hard to mod. That makes me feel better as a "mature" man with a Z
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 AM
08350Zilver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the OP's pain with previous cars I've owned. Each time I just rolled money into the next loan. Bad idea.

Learn from your past mistakes. Do not trade your Z in right now...as others have said, you won't get anything for it. Either sell it privately and pray or keep it another year or two in order to get even on your loan.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Just wondering what a more "mature" sports car consists of? I would think that a clean Z would be pretty mature vs an SRT4 or something.

Keep driving it , keep paying for it , when you owe what its worth , get rid of it for your truck.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
DSLisFREE

I could take pics, hadn't really considered selling it private party because I know how long that can take.
At the right price the car will be out of your hands. Shoot em a PM with your lowest price, please be realistic and factor in the current market.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
kurt213
Banned

Originally Posted by DSLisFREE
At the right price the car will be out of your hands. Shoot em a PM with your lowest price, please be realistic and factor in the current market.
Really? You've never seen my car, have no idea what I've done to it, what condition it's in, etc....and your offering to buy it? You my man, seem fishy!

Anyways, my lowest price would be alot higher than you would want to pay for an 06 Z......TRUST ME, why you think I'm in this mess
Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyways, my lowest price would be alot higher than you would want to pay for an 06 Z......TRUST ME, why you think I'm in this mess
You already know why you are in this mess. You wanted more than you could afford. Just because you can make a payment, doesn't mean you can "afford" it.

Some have given you great advice already.
1) Sell your mods and put it back to stock. It will gain you some cash and probably increase the resale value of the car.
2) Put the cash into a cheap winter car or truck. $8000 is not a cheap truck in this market. $2000 is a cheap truck. You have to seriously readjust your expectations.
3) Stop your cable TV subscription, quit buying beer and cigarettes, don't go out to eat or to the movies. Eat oatmeal for breakfast and beans for dinner. Take the $400/mo you save and put it towards the principle of your car loan and you'll have that loan paid down quickly.
4) Talk to your insurance broker and see if you can stop insuring the Z for the winter months since you won't be driving it. If you have a house, put it in the garage where it is safe and let it sit. Take the money you save on insurance and add that to your extra loan payments.

Selling your car privately is a good idea, but not when you owe money on it. I don't like buying cars from guys that don't own them. It means that you have to pay them and they have to pay off the lender. It is too easy for something to go wrong. Pay off the loan, then sell the Z privately. You will be way ahead.

In the future, be mature when you buy that "mature sports car" and do it with cash instead of a loan.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM
sbl350z

man kurt213 reading your first post was like reading my own life. except i'm not tired of my Z yet. i went from a 07 cobalt for 2 months, then brand new 2008 scion tc for one year then i bought the 06 z. i keep gettin myself in debt. and for a 2006 350z, they will most likely give u 13-14g. 14 at the max.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking of trading my 2006 350Z in for a cheap (7-8 grand) truck. My biggest problem with this is that I am in an upside down loan, solely caused by the fact that I REALLY lost my *** on my last car. I'm basically trying to end this cycle.
I have just got to the point where I think the Z isn't the right car for me any longer. I bought it a few years ago, when I was younger. I think I've matured to the point where I'd like a more "mature" sports car....but the biggest problem is I live in PA and the Z is just not practical.
My idea was to trade the Z in for a cheaper truck, but make the payments high and loan term short. I realize that I will lose some money here, but if I keep my payments high hopefully i'll be able to pay it off soon. Then I can go after a sports car that I really want.
I owe roughly 22,000 on my Z, which I'm guessing will get me 15000-16000 trade in. I plan on selling my volks....so that should get me around 3 grand to help with the difference.
I realize I will then still have to take out a 11,000-12,000 loan for a 8000 truck. But I can think of no better options. Does anyone have a better option, or am I just stuck with this?
try to sell ur Z... i think u can get some what around 18-19k for ur Z if u wait a little longer.. take ur time and post as much ads as u can to sell ur car...is ur Z a touring? anyways.. if the market price for ur Z is 20k.. u only get 14-15k when u trade in... i hate those mother ****ers.. they buy cheap sell really high.. i understand it is a business thing but damn.. they have to suck our bloods...

anyways.. ppl who buy it will probably give u cash.. u can take that and give pay them off...just have to work it out with the buyer...sell ur volk too...

sorry to hear about ur situation man...

or u can just drive around with ur Z and dont lock the door and hope that someone will stole ur Z.. ....insurance will pay for it... ahhahahaha but of course... someone might still it and not wreck it.. and u got nothing when they found ur Z... someone just got a FREE Joy Ride..
Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
adamciya350

Really? You've never seen my car, have no idea what I've done to it, what condition it's in, etc....and your offering to buy it? You my man, seem fishy!

Well no wonder you cant sell it, u said it urself...i think you'd be a in a lot better situation if you just chilled, got laid, and wait it out. You're putting too much effort into this whole situation, and realistically, no matter what option you choose, it looks like ur gonna be in the same boat. But who am i to judge? if ur situation is really that bad, join the reserves! navy's paying for my Z
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Where's the truck?