Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

wasnt sure where else to put this.... trying to buy a car with a lien on it...help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Bruce Wayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wasnt sure where else to put this.... trying to buy a car with a lien on it...help?

okay so heres the story:

im looking to buy a car off someone who has a lien on the car.

he currently owes 8k on the car

and he wants 16k for it

i have all the money, so i wont be using a loan or anything. im cash ready.

now

how do i go about buying his car, SAFELY

without getting screwed over in the long run?

im also in the NY state... so can someone give me some info with rules as follow for my state...?

im 18, and my parents arent really helping me much on the situation. my mother doesnt know much about buying cars with a lien on it, and my father doesnt want anything to do with it, he tells me its my money, man up and make decisions on my own... great.

ive tried doing some research on the topic before asking, but i keep reading different things from different people in different states... so i turn to you guys?

can anyone help on the situation in full details what i need to do?

thanks alot in advance.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:52 AM
HyperKnight
Stulax makes me cream

Received 631 Likes on 440 Posts

Did you ask Alfred? He may know something.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask the seller who the lien holder is, and contact them directly to ask how you would handle the payment and transfer of ownership. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I paid the lien holder directly.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 AM
RanFerr_350z

Originally Posted by HyperKnight
Did you ask Alfred? He may know something.
^^ LMAO.... I thought the previous owner has to pay the remaining balance in order to get the pink slip to even considering selling it?

Last edited by RanFerr_350z; 10-23-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

moving to buying/leasing section...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 AM
SoldzMyZ

Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne

im 18, and my parents arent really helping me much on the situation. my mother doesnt know much about buying cars with a lien on it, and my father doesnt want anything to do with it, he tells me its my money, man up and make decisions on my own... great.

thanks alot in advance.
wow great fatherly advice i personally would NOT hand him the money... too much issue imo. just go to the dealer, you can probably get an 03-04 for about 12-13.

btw, your parents don't seem to be helpful on the insurance. that is seriously one car payment a month for someone your age. i'd stick some something more reasonable but then again you probably have made up your mind.

if I were you i'd go away to college (MOVE OUT), do well in school, have fun, get your degree, graduate and get a different car. hell if you have 16k, money for a reasonable car that will get you by through school and 1st year post undergrad.

speaking from someone who's parent helped me out in my undergrad and to some degree right now (car insurance and cellphone) for my masters, having the help in invaluable going through school.

I can't imagine not having their support. not sure what your situation is like but i'd much rather invest in my future if my parents aren't in the position to help me out.

Last edited by SoldzMyZ; 10-23-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Brick-Z

1. Sign a Bill of Sale with the seller stating what you are buying (year, make , model, VIN), how much you are buying it for and how much of a downpayment you already gave.

2. Have Bill of Sale notarized

3. Get a cashiers check for the remaining balance and make it payable both to the seller/financial institution holding the title.

4. Go to financial institution with seller and payoff the loan.

Edit:

Depending on how big of a institution it is they may hold titles in house. You will be required to then go to your local SOS within 10 days to have the vehicle registered in your name.

Last edited by Brick-Z; 10-23-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very easy. Brick-Z said it well. In my experience, most titles are held elsewhere. Sometimes the bank has to order a new one from DMV. Be ready for a large insurance bill, BTW.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
duro78

Ok I'm assuming this is a private seller. I would stay away from it for the simple fact yes it is a cheaper price but you wont be covered by any laws if anything goes wrong. All private sales are as is and final. Your better ff going to a dealer because at least then you have some recourse. If you want to persist with this deal you would have to contact the bank and get the payoff amount you would need his ss# to do that or his account #. You would have to work it out with the bank and the person responsible for the loan. Do not give him the 8 grand so he can pay it off get the title then sign it over ot you once you pay the balance
Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 AM
duro78

Bro trust me price out the insurance first because it most likely will not make sense to buy the car because of the high insurance i live in NY also and there gonna rape you. Alot of times its not the cost of the car its the damn insurance that makes it not affordable. Be smart dont spend all your $ on a freaking car. Being 18 consider another car 1. insurance
2. driving experience ny winters in a z bad idea. Save your money bro and just buy a used car for a few g's and just put liability on it dont give all your $ to the insurance company
Old 10-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope you've called your insurance company for a quote. that is one surprise you don't want at your age, lol.

brick-z said it well. you could always go to the sellers bank/lien holder and discuss with them how to do the transaction as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by duro78
Ok I'm assuming this is a private seller. I would stay away from it for the simple fact yes it is a cheaper price but you wont be covered by any laws if anything goes wrong. All private sales are as is and final. Your better ff going to a dealer because at least then you have some recourse. If you want to persist with this deal you would have to contact the bank and get the payoff amount you would need his ss# to do that or his account #. You would have to work it out with the bank and the person responsible for the loan. Do not give him the 8 grand so he can pay it off get the title then sign it over ot you once you pay the balance

Don't listen to this

There is no more risk in buying from a private party then a dealer if done correctly. He has a signed/notarized bill of sale and the car has a lien on it so the seller will most likely never even see the title. If I have to explain to him that he should not give the seller $8K and hope he pays the loan off then he should not even be allowed to buy a car.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Bruce Wayne

im going to be 19 soon, i have had a Z for almost more then a half a year now, i just sold my car for 15k, i have 5k saved up + the 15k i got for my Z = 20k to spend.

the reason i sold my Z was because it was an automatic, i want a stick shift and i found one i really want that happens to have a lien.

insurance on my old Z was 460 full coverage. and my parents went half with me. so i paid $230, they paid $230.

i just want to know how to go about purchasing this guys car that has a lien, the deal is superb, and the car is flawless. he just happens to need its sold around the time im looking to buy one.

but thanks for all the responds, some have actually helped!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

im going to be 19 soon, i have had a Z for almost more then a half a year now, i just sold my car for 15k, i have 5k saved up + the 15k i got for my Z = 20k to spend.

the reason i sold my Z was because it was an automatic, i want a stick shift and i found one i really want that happens to have a lien.

insurance on my old Z was 460 full coverage. and my parents went half with me. so i paid $230, they paid $230.

i just want to know how to go about purchasing this guys car that has a lien, the deal is superb, and the car is flawless. he just happens to need its sold around the time im looking to buy one.

but thanks for all the responds, some have actually helped!
Cars with liens is NOT uncommon, and you have enough info to move forward.

$460 for the YEAR? That's absurd - are you on your parents policy? I spent $15k (loan) on a Z (300ZX TT) when I was 22 after finishing college, and I thought that was a lot of money! How you saved up $20k in 19 years is beyond me, but that's awesome.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I bet you that 460$ is monthly. lol
Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Bruce Wayne

Originally Posted by Entaille
I bet you that 460$ is monthly. lol
yup.
$460 monthly, is what i meant to say.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Brick-Z

yup.
$460 monthly, is what i meant to say.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Too much or too little?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by stevehl
^^^ Too much or too little?
Ridiculously high.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

holy **** batman 460 full coverage in one month!!! i spend 800 for 6 months and im 23yrs old and complaining!!!

Quick Reply: wasnt sure where else to put this.... trying to buy a car with a lien on it...help?