Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Wild buying experience yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 03:21 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Wild buying experience yesterday

What a wild day! I saw that a local dealer had a Z listed on the Nissan web site on Thursday. So I waited until lunchtime on Friday and stopped by to check it out. It was the first time I had ever seen one. They wouldn't let me sit in it which I though was cool since it was a preorder. I asked the salesman if there were any other Zs on the truck and he said that there was one other but he didn't know where they were taking it. Since I had been searching for local Zs, I knew that there wasn't supposed to be another Z in the area. I took a guess that it was going over to the new, just opened last week, dealership next to my house. I drove over and sure enough there she sat surrounded by people. Fresh off the truck!

This dealership was not open in time to accept pre-orders but Nissan is sending them a few anyway. This was the first. There was a guy there that had put some money down for the option to buy the first car that came in. He and the dealership thought that it was going to be an Enthusiast. He showed up to find that it was a Touring. I talked to him for a bit and told him that I had pre-ordered a Touring from another dealership but I was second in line for this one and would gladly take it if he wanted to wait for the Enthusiast. I don't know how he managed to walk away from this car but he did. He is a stronger man than I!

Once he walked the salesman said that it was mine to buy if I wanted it and I said hell yeah! I rushed home to get my check and trade-in. Once I returned we started crunching numbers and just as everything was looking good the Sales Manager came over and said that there is one catch. Oh yeah, what is that? "You have to let us keep it in the showroom until we get our next Z in late September." WHAT?!?!?!!?!?! No way!!! I was ready to go driving!

Well, to make a long story short, I had to walk away. They wouldn't budge and started clearing the showroom so that they could pull it in. I couldn't believe it. I drove away pretty pissed and realized that I left my second set of keys at the dealership. LOL! I had to go back to get them. The thought that kept running through my head was that they are in the business of selling cars, not showing them and I was there to buy, not just look. They held firm and handed me my keys. Back to work I went. Once I got back to work I had a message on my work voice mail and two messages on my home answering machine asking me to come back and pick up the car. LOL! Oh the drama! Went back, the car was in the showroom, and picked her up. Pretty crazy.

So now I have got to decide what I want to do with my pre-order. I still have the option to buy it. It is a fully loaded no-NAV Chrome/charcoal leather touring. My card says it will be delivered in the Sept-Nov timeframe. I have several thoughts running through my head right now.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:43 AM
Zay

What a day! That's way to much for any man to handle in one day but, you got it. Congrats! Now let us see the Z that almost wasn't yours. Pics please?
Old 08-31-2002, 05:48 AM
alphaz

Where in NC do you live and is your Touring an auto or 6 speed ?
Old 08-31-2002, 08:06 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

I am in Raleigh, NC and it is a 6 speed.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:20 AM
herkp

First, I'll have to say I'm happy for ANYone who's got a Z by now.

Although, what IS this??? A dealer that didn't even exist during the preorder is getting some cars ahead of preorders? I just don't know what to think of this whole deal anymore.

I've never really thought about complaining about this whole thing until now. I'd just been philosophical about delivery dates, but to think that some normal dealer stock cars are being built before preorders makes me wonder where we stand in Nissan's eyes...

herkp
Old 09-02-2002, 10:48 PM
mike952

You should have played devil's advocate. I would have played along to see if they didn't put that on paper; then you can do the same thing the dealers do to you.

"Opps, sorry...you didn't put that on paper so I'll be driving it off today..thank you. They can fuss and they can rant, the lawsuit you could file for not giving you the car you just paid for would be great. Infact, I would walk away (i.e. I had to walk since I couldn't take the car, and then would trip and fall on their lot. Now I can sue because I hurt myself unnecessarily due to negligence!