Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Best Dealership Ever! (And my buying story.) VERY LONG!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 05:10 PM
mxpx_8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Dealership Ever! (And my buying story.) VERY LONG!

HI!

Well it was about a year ago I decided to buy a Z. The below post is a summery of that long road and some info about a dealership above all others. Read on!

About two years ago I was looking for a new car. I had my pick down to two cars. The Acura RSX Type-S and the Nissan 350z. I decided to by the Acura because of practicality and price ($22.200). To make a long story short I regretted buying the Acura. Warp one more year ahead.........

I decide to buy the Z. I put my RSX on autotrader.com for a selling price of $21,200. I then proceeded to call dealerships trying to negotiate a fair price for the Z w/o luck. I tried everything possible. There is dealership three miles from my condo that had the same 5 Z's on the lot for 2.5 months. I would go in there and say I was ready to buy if they would deal with me. No luck, they would not budge off of MSRP. So I kept trying.

This is where it gets good....

Well eight months later some how or other I spoke to the GM of another local dealership. He was not willing at first to deal then he mentioned that if I could find a buyer for my Acura he would allow me to trade it in on the Z (to save in tax). He would then turn around and sell it to the person that was going to buy it off of me for the same price. (I know that was a little confusing but if you read it a couple more times you might get it

Well as it turns out two months later I found a buyer for my RSX. I explained the setup I had at the dealership. The buyer was fine with that.

So the next step was for the dealership to locate a car for me. It took them about 3 days to find one in KY. CS Touring 6-Speed all opt. except Nav. They called me and said they found me a car. I told them I wanted no plates installed in the front, less than 10 miles on the OD. They said NP. At this point I negotiated the price to what we agreed would be fair.

Next I went to the dealership with the buyer for my RSX in tow. I traded in the RSX on the Z for a tax savings of $1,800. The dealership sold the RSX to the guy I brought with me for $21,000 as promised. The dealership financed us both. I got 4.11% for 60 months. Not sure what he got.

Anyways my car was delivered as promised. EXCEPT FOR ONE PROBLEM! The day after I brought my car home I found a wheel scuff mark on the front right wheel that went 50% around the diameter! I called the dealership the next day and they said, "bring it on by and we will see what we can do". I told them that I did not do it (which I did not). So I kept thinking to myself "I know they are going to screw me ". On my way to work the next day I CURBED THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL!!! @#)$ I could not believe it! So I called the dealership and explained what happened...I curbed the rear one and they did the front one. By now I knew I was screwed.....

So I take the car in. I pick it up the next day. Both wheels are fixed (I don’t know if they replaced them or what). You could not tell anything ever happened!!!

Needless to say I have been blown away by the help I received from this dealership. Of course I gave them credit for the sale of 2 cars and 2 loans. So I helped them out quite a bit. But they saved me about $3,000 on the sale of the Z + one wheel. They also did some other stuff that they promised me and came through. Not bad. I never EVER thought I would say anythign positive about a dealership. I know www.carbuyingtips.com by heart! And this dealership did not try any tricks at all. Nothing but honesty.

Anyways send me a PM if you want more details! Thanks for reading my long post!

One last thing. Over the year or so that I have been a member of this forum I have gained a great deal of info from everyone that posts. I just want to say thank! So thanks!

Last edited by mxpx_8; 10-29-2003 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:04 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A creative car dealer; who wouda thunk!

Cool story.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:45 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

good for you!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:10 AM
mxpx_8

Yes very cool dealer indeed. I wanted to post this story for a few reasons.

First, I wanted to show an idea about how to go about saving a lot of money if you have a trade.

Second, I wanted to show that there are some good dealerships out there. I read quite a few posts about very bad dealerships.

Again if anyone lives in Ohio or is interested in more info on this dealership feel free to PM me.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:39 AM
mofoz

glad to see there are some cool car dealerships out there. mine was good, except he said my car would be in by the end the the next month and it took an additional month to get it. sold me my track with all options and knocked 1000 off the price and said thats the best i can do, i could have played around and said we wont lower the price, we dont need to blah blah. one of the better experiences we've had from buying cars.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 AM
torpedo

Question: How does this arrangement save taxes? My understanding is that there are two taxable events. The first is the sale of the RSX. You get taxed only if you make money on the sale. E.g., you paid $22,000 and sold for $21,000, so you didn't make money and don't get taxed. The second is sales tax on the Z, which you can't avoid.

I don't see how trading it in to the dealer saves you any money. Could you explain? I'm thinking of buying another car right now.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:19 AM
fanatic

Okay, so with all this positive feed back.....What dealer was it.....definately let us know, so that if anyone else is in the market, we could bring them business and say we heard that they have excellent customer service.....I see you are in Columbus Ohio.......so am I. I'd really like to deal with that dealership for future reference.

Great Story.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:25 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Now if all buying experiences could be like that...
Old 10-31-2003, 10:35 AM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by torpedo
Question: How does this arrangement save taxes? My understanding is that there are two taxable events. The first is the sale of the RSX. You get taxed only if you make money on the sale. E.g., you paid $22,000 and sold for $21,000, so you didn't make money and don't get taxed. The second is sales tax on the Z, which you can't avoid.

I don't see how trading it in to the dealer saves you any money. Could you explain? I'm thinking of buying another car right now.

The tax savings works like this. You may be taxed differently in CA.

When you buy a new car here in Ohio you are taxed on the full price of the car. So lets say the car was $33,700. That means I would pay $33,700 * 6.75% = $2274.00 in tax.

However, if you trade a car in on a new one you only pay the difference in price in tax. So it shakes out like this. Z price = $33,700 Trade on the RSX = $21,000 Difference = $12,700. $12,700 is what I paid tax on ($857). So I paid $857 in tax insted of $2,274. This gives me an easy savings of $1,417.

And thats how it worked!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:44 AM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by fanatic
Okay, so with all this positive feed back.....What dealer was it.....definately let us know, so that if anyone else is in the market, we could bring them business and say we heard that they have excellent customer service.....I see you are in Columbus Ohio.......so am I. I'd really like to deal with that dealership for future reference.

Great Story.
Please tell them that Greg R. the guy who bought the CS 6-speed Z sent you in. I told them that since they did such a great job I would send as many ppl their way as I could. This will probably also help you get treated in the best way possible.

Again I am not promising that you or anyone else will get lucky like I did. But I sure hope so! My friends also have had good experances with this dealerhip.Send me a PM if you want to discuss any further. I can give you my phone number. I live by the Polaris Mall in Westerville.

Here are the details on the dealership:

My sales man was John Rixx
The GM's name is Steve Illich

Steve helped me out more than anyone...

Buckeye Nissan
3820 Parkway Lane
Hilliard , Ohio 43026
Phone: 614-771-2345
Fax: 614-771-2344

http://www.buckeyenissan.com

Good luck! And dont forget to mention I sent you!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:46 AM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by yobri
Now if all buying experiences could be like that...
Agreed. The purchase of my RSX was a pain.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:51 AM
fanatic

Wow, Buckeye Nissan........good to know. Thanks. If I ever do go up there, I'll mention your name and tell them that you are referring their customer service.....maybe next time when you go in, at least they will be appreciative towards your support.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 AM
Ralphus

A lot of dealers will do this, they call it an "In and out".

(Keep in mind what the "old in and out" was in the movie A Clockwork Orange).
Old 10-31-2003, 03:39 PM
mxpx_8

Originally posted by Ralphus
A lot of dealers will do this, they call it an "In and out".

(Keep in mind what the "old in and out" was in the movie A Clockwork Orange).
Give me a refresher on the Clockwork version.