Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Trade in or sell my ZR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
JCNunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in or sell my ZR?

Hi guys-

I have an 04 Roadster in great shape except for the top. It needs replaced, and I think one of the motors is going bad as well.

The car has 57800 miles and I have the complete service history....no accidents. Silver with black leather and heated seats...6 speed. Interior is perfect.

Local dealers are offering me $12-13K for it. Should I take that and run? Or do you think it would sell as is for $14K? They seem to be going for around $18K in my area right now...(Tampa)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FYI - I love the car but need more passneger space for my new job.

Thank you!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by JCNunny
Hi guys-

I have an 04 Roadster in great shape except for the top. It needs replaced, and I think one of the motors is going bad as well.

The car has 57800 miles and I have the complete service history....no accidents. Silver with black leather and heated seats...6 speed. Interior is perfect.

Local dealers are offering me $12-13K for it. Should I take that and run? Or do you think it would sell as is for $14K? They seem to be going for around $18K in my area right now...(Tampa)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FYI - I love the car but need more passneger space for my new job.

Thank you!
$18,000 for an '04 with 60,000 miles??? Fix the top and sell it then.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
jimbosr1

if you can get 13-14k for a trade then i would take it.i paid 18k for a 06zr with 38k miles in outstanding condition with power train warrenty(may 2012)out the door from a lexus dealer in atlanta.1 owner
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM
JCNunny

Dealers here have them from $16-19K with similar mileage...I anticipate a $1500 cost for the top, and no clue about the cost for the motor if it needs replaced...so I'm thinking either sell for $14000 firm or trade it in...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the car does not suit your needs than it does not suit your needs. Take some action here.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Romanteni

First of all, you're only looking at one side of a coin. Take it for someone who's worked for numerous dealerships in sales, advertising, financing etc.

If they're giving you a GOOD trade in price- make sure you're still getting a good deal on the other end. They might be literally ripping you off on the sale price of the car, so then they're still making too much money.

Usually 80% of the time, selling car yourself can get you better money, sometimes though if you can get a good deal on trade in AND on the car you're buying - then yeah. But thats rare.

If dealer is giving you good price on trade in, make sure they're not trying to put you into a **** car with problems, maybe they're trying to get rid of their car asap, so thats why they giving you good price. Them giving you 12k for an 04 with such high miles - sounds fishy to me. Research, go to different dealers, call out of state, so if you live in FL, call TX dealer to see what they'll pay as a trade in. Just don't get caught in a bad deal.

Remember, dealers can make money and trap you in several places, not just in trade in or buy - also on financing terms,. They make a lot of money depending on what kind of terms they get you to sign on. Do NOT buy dealer extended warranty and stuff as well, and just overall, ALWAYS sleep on it, don't make the decision on the spot.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
dirtbikr

You keep saying the motor needs to be replaced... Why is that? It's a very reliable motor, and most times if it goes 50k miles it'll go 100k no problem. I'd say trade it in, because you will never ever ever sell the car for 18k.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Beast101

Default WTF

keep it and buy a cheap passenger car. Your car sounds exactly like mine
Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Jim07GT

Originally Posted by Romanteni
First of all, you're only looking at one side of a coin. Take it for someone who's worked for numerous dealerships in sales, advertising, financing etc.

If they're giving you a GOOD trade in price- make sure you're still getting a good deal on the other end. They might be literally ripping you off on the sale price of the car, so then they're still making too much money.

Usually 80% of the time, selling car yourself can get you better money, sometimes though if you can get a good deal on trade in AND on the car you're buying - then yeah. But thats rare.

If dealer is giving you good price on trade in, make sure they're not trying to put you into a **** car with problems, maybe they're trying to get rid of their car asap, so thats why they giving you good price. Them giving you 12k for an 04 with such high miles - sounds fishy to me. Research, go to different dealers, call out of state, so if you live in FL, call TX dealer to see what they'll pay as a trade in. Just don't get caught in a bad deal.

Remember, dealers can make money and trap you in several places, not just in trade in or buy - also on financing terms,. They make a lot of money depending on what kind of terms they get you to sign on. Do NOT buy dealer extended warranty and stuff as well, and just overall, ALWAYS sleep on it, don't make the decision on the spot.
Here's the deal I got in Tampa last week.

Traded - 06 Mazda Miata MX5 Gt 41000 miles, 6mt basically good shape. Got $14k on trade in for a

07 350z GT auto, mud guards, curtain and side air bags, all the back carpets and mats and Nav system, $21,500 with 34,000 miles, new tires and new brakes on the brembos, excellent condition.

Remember here in Florida its 7% sales tax so at $14k its almost a $1k saved by trading. I would have had to sell the Mazda for $15 to break even with the trade in price from the dealer and go thru the hassle of advertising and selling myself.

Would I have paid $18k for a roadster with all those miles? No chance. I was seeing roadsters, 06 for example, for $19K with 30k miles.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
04zee
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
You keep saying the motor needs to be replaced... Why is that? It's a very reliable motor, and most times if it goes 50k miles it'll go 100k no problem. I'd say trade it in, because you will never ever ever sell the car for 18k.
im sure he meant the convertible top motor
Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Romanteni

Yeah agree, thats why you have to look and think about the deal as whole, including each part of it. And yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is the tax saving. But many times dealers try to push that fact forward while increasing their own price. Make sure they don't try to "sweeten" the deal by telling you about the tax deduction for trading it in.

But true, its definitely not something you should forget about, this guy is already being smart by researching and asking people around

Originally Posted by Jim07GT
Here's the deal I got in Tampa last week.

Traded - 06 Mazda Miata MX5 Gt 41000 miles, 6mt basically good shape. Got $14k on trade in for a

07 350z GT auto, mud guards, curtain and side air bags, all the back carpets and mats and Nav system, $21,500 with 34,000 miles, new tires and new brakes on the brembos, excellent condition.

Remember here in Florida its 7% sales tax so at $14k its almost a $1k saved by trading. I would have had to sell the Mazda for $15 to break even with the trade in price from the dealer and go thru the hassle of advertising and selling myself.

Would I have paid $18k for a roadster with all those miles? No chance. I was seeing roadsters, 06 for example, for $19K with 30k miles.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to a few dealers or your local carmax to see what they will just give you for it (i.e. withOUT you buying a car). That will give you a better idea what it is actually worth. I have an 04' ZR for sale also, and we both will NOT get $18k (sadly). My CarMax said $12k straight up, though the dealers offered $13.5k assuming I will buy a car from them (so they can likely make up any margin).

Here are you local Carmax's, just take it and see. PS - anyone on the west coast want a very well treated, silver Touring ZR with the burnt orange seats?

o Bradenton
o 3808 14th Street West
Bradenton, Florida 34205
(813) 262-2506

o Tampa
o 14920 Nebraska Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33613
(813) 979-4400

Last edited by scotts300; 05-06-2010 at 08:00 PM.