Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Advice on my hunt for a Z!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
TheMogulMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my hunt for a Z!

Hey everyone been lurking these forums for quite a bit while soaking up all the knowledge I can about Z's!

Basically I've been on the hunt for the right Z this year and I'm now in a good position to start actually pursuing one. So today I went and looked at an 2003, MT, with 55k miles. Online it says it's Enthusiast, but it could very well be Performance. Dealership is wanting 15,591 but IMO that's definitely too much for an 03. I've seen 05/06's listed for that with the same mileage around here.

Haven't driven it yet though since they were closed for the 4th today, but my main concerns are the issues I should look out for when I do test drive it (Hopefully this week). Third gear grind is one of the common issues in 03's correct? What are some of the other issues I should be on the lookout for? As well as mods and such.

Also there's a pretty solid keying on the rear driver side of the car. But other than that the car looked clean. I'm still keeping my options open though with my hunt. But for this particular situation any opinions on what I should offer if the test drive goes smoothly would be great! Thanks!

Pic of the scratch -
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

May be Performance. I would have to look inside for VDC button.

The scratch is terrible. Disappointed that the seller does not fix it. Pass on this one.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not done much research on pricing for Z but even I can tell you this is overpriced for a 2003 model and whats worse is the scratch that just really hurts the value. Move on and look for other models since $14k-$16k can get you a much nicer Z than the one pictured above

Edit: Come down to Texas and pick up a vehicle you might find some better deals. Look at marketplace, Craigslist and autotrader/cars. I have access to Autocheck if I am in a good mood to run one for you. Look at my thread on G35 driver on why you want AUTOCHECK over CARFAX.

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coup...of-inside.html

Last edited by faiz23; 07-04-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because I'm a detail person,I would'nt buy it because of the scratch.Too bad,because its a BRICKYARD(BY).That color,offered in 03 is very rare.I believe about
maybe 2,500 were made.Yes,I too am surprised the dealer has not fixed the scratch before putting on the lot.The miles are very good.Maybe the dealer knows its a BY and
thats why its overpriced?To fix the scratch/respray maybe difficult for that color.However,a good paint shop should be able to do the job,blend...you'll never notice.
Untill you actually test drive,I would not get too hung up on what is the "usual things
to look for"...You have 18's on that Z...I'D guess its perfomance.The major flaw in the 03-04 Z's was the front end/tires wearing out/roaring sound.I would imagine that the previous owner(owners?)had the alignment finally sorted out.The tires would wear inside edges/scallop.The OEM Bridgestones were not a good tire.Whats on the car now?

Good luck!

Good lookin car if the scratch was fixed RIGHT!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
TheMogulMike

Really appreciate all the feedback guys. The scratch does throw me off as well, but if the dealership wants to work something out I'd entertain the idea simply because it's Brickyard. This is if all goes well when I actually test drive it, and as for the tires they are Toyo Proxes 4 and they looked fairly new.

Also I really don't think the dealership knows what they have, unless they are trying to throw people off? I've seen it listed as purple when they first put it up on auto trader a few weeks back, and recently it's listed as red.

Here's the listing/Autocheck -
http://www.jackiecoopernissan.com/we...ition_id=10426

http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/show...hicle-glossary

I noticed the lien reported on the car in 03/05, but the dealership wouldn't be allowed to sell the car without the lien already being taken care of correct?

Last edited by TheMogulMike; 07-05-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
DSLisFREE

Mike,

Here are some sources that have not been mentioned:
www.cargurus.com - mostly list dealership listings
www.autotempest.com - will search 6 different sites
Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
TheMogulMike

Got an update for everyone.

Just got back from test driving 2 Z's. First place I went to today had an AT, Silver, 04 Touring with 41k miles. The sticker price is 15,900. This 04 was very solid and clean. It also had new 19" tires as well as the DVD navigation system (Which both seem to be a nice added plus). Now down to the business, I took the car for a test drive and overall felt really great on the highway and main roads, but the brakes seemed to squeal quite a bit at times. Now I most likely was just being a little paranoid/picky trying to find something wrong, but just in case do you guys know if there any common issues with 04 brakes?

Then after I drove the 04 I went and looked at the Brickyard 03 again. Now with the 03 there were no issues with 2-3rd gear, and the car also ran great overall. I can also confirm that there is a VDC button on the dash which should indicate that it is Performance. So then after we got back to the dealership I pointed out that the scratch was terrible in the car. They suggested they could have it resprayed at their local shop that is located just near the dealership. But the more I think about it this 03 seems like it might be too much hassle unless I can get a great price on it. Considering that in my opinion both these cars seem overpriced for their respective years. So again any advice on how much I should offer as well as which way you think I should lean would be greatly appreciated.

Also one more thing can someone help me identify if this 04 is possibly an 04.5. The VIN is JN1AZ34E54M154433

Isn't it if the letter is "M" before the 6 digit number it confirms that it's an 04.5?

Also here's the only picture I have of the 04 right now. I mistakenly left the SD card out of my camera at home -

Thanks again!!

Last edited by TheMogulMike; 07-05-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by TheMogulMike
Got an update for everyone.

Just got back from test driving 2 Z's. First place I went to today had an AT, Silver, 04 Touring with 41k miles. The sticker price is 15,900.
These prices are crazy. With this absurd asking price, I doubt that I would even make an offer.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 PM
TheMogulMike

Originally Posted by davidv
These prices are crazy. With this absurd asking price, I doubt that I would even make an offer.
KBB has the 04 touring listed at $15,515 in excellent condition, and Edmunds has them listed around $14,521. So it doesn't seem ridiculous I guess, but you guys on here definitely have more experience so i'll take it with a grain of salt. I just hope your not just being sarcastic with your post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
cwerdna

Are they? Maybe for the 03...

One Nissan dealer was willing to offer me $14K if I sold them my 04 (not 04.5) Enthusiast 5AT. It's unmodded other than an aftermarket alarm. It was surprisingly high for a dealer.

I'm 90% sure I'm not going to sell it at all though.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 AM
TheMogulMike

Originally Posted by cwerdna
Are they? Maybe for the 03...

One Nissan dealer was willing to offer me $14K if I sold them my 04 (not 04.5) Enthusiast 5AT. It's unmodded other than an aftermarket alarm. It was surprisingly high for a dealer.

I'm 90% sure I'm not going to sell it at all though.
Good to know. How many miles does your 04 have on it?

I think if could get this Z somewhere in between 13-14k it would be a pretty solid deal. And if not I can gladly walk from any of these Z's and wait it out until I do get the deal I'm looking for.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM
cwerdna

Good to know. How many miles does your 04 have on it?

I think if could get this Z somewhere in between 13-14k it would be a pretty solid deal. And if not I can gladly walk from any of these Z's and wait it out until I do get the deal I'm looking for.
Mine has just a tad over 53K miles on it.

As I posted at https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leas...automatic.html, the range between Edmunds private party and KBB private party is huge.

Last edited by cwerdna; 07-06-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
TheMogulMike

Silver 04 ended up being sold this weekend. And that 03 just doesn't seem worth it at all.

Looks like I'm back on the hunt, but I think I'm just going to keep on saving and wait a few more months and get an 07. Seems like it would be worth it in the long run.

Thanks again guys for your help with the cars I posted!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
davidv

Silver 04 ended up being sold this weekend.
Sometimes you must move fast. The primary interest of the seller may not be $$$. It is the buyer with money willing to take the car NOW.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Itzcashew

03 with 55k miles in a excellent is worth $15060 according to Kelly Blue Book.

But that car is not in excellent condition it is fair at best. Offer $13,000 to them and tell them to work around that if not they lost your business.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 PM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are better off buying from a private party for that amount of money. A lot of cars from private parties come pretty decently modded too.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
TheMogulMike

Sometimes you must move fast. The primary interest of the seller may not be $$$. It is the buyer with money willing to take the car NOW.
Definitely found that out with that 04, but turns out it was stolen at one point so I'm not too salty about this one getting away.

Just gives me more time to find the right one!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 AM
TheMogulMike

Need a little advice guys. I'm looking at 2 Z's, one is an 2005 with 90k miles. The other is an 06 red with 64k miles. Both are manual.

Now the 05 I have them down to 10k or possibly even less. And the 06 I've talked them towards 13k.

Both of these dealers want to make a sale. Any advice on the situation?

Last edited by TheMogulMike; 08-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I'd save up for an HR 07+. I think they are more reliable
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM
TheMogulMike

Thanks but I'm not looking to spend 17-18k for an HR. Any advice related to my situation would be better thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Advice on my hunt for a Z!