Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Pricing Increase?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Z Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Increase?

Quick back round I had a gtm 06 350 a few years ago and sold it. Market was bad and I took a big hit like owners who dump a bunch of money do. I went through a few phases sense then, built sti, rb'd s14 etc. and I miss my Z.

So I've been lurking for about a month and I noticed a big trend, people selling modded/boosted Z's are asking big asking prices. Is this something the Z community as a whole is trying to accomplish? This happened years ago in the rx7 community right after I sold my FD and prices still hold pretty well on rx7's right now.

When I sold my Z a few years ago i had it priced at 24k and sold it locally for 18.5 and I noticed at the time most modded Z owners were taking similar losses.

So the past few months while looking around I notice people asking 25k+ for boosted 03's etc. and I'm not seeing any negativity in responses towards these huge markups. On any other forum there would be huge amounts of price bashing. I just looked at an 03 on here that books for 11k but the asking price is 30k? I thought it was common knowledge people dont get money back for mods etc? And its not just one car its the trend now. So are people really paying 25k+ for 350z's again? From what i heard the market is going to get bad again.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

i suspect its another side effect of having younger owners now, aside from the rediculous postss and threads they make.

book value is book value. There is a "drift tax" on certain cars like the 240s, but then were talking older used cars usually paid for by cash, versus a car a bank would ahve to finance.
A 240 booking at 4500 bucks can easily sell for 6k-6500 etc.

Drift tax is a joke name for that.
Theres no drift tax for a 350z for sure.. ppl selling an 03 for 30 k are idiots.
your year matters more to sales price than mileage even does.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:43 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Supply&demand and,gotta have it!

Trends are trends,many factors cause them.As far as this topic goes,price fluctuation on a used Z are going vary market to market.It will be interesting to hear from forum members in different areas on what is happing to used Z prices
(MODIFIED OR STOCK)in their
market.Speaking from my area,Atlanta,used Z's in general are in short supply.In addition,those with mods,even more scarce.From a year ago,the price on an average
03-05 Z has risen about $2,000.Some of this scarcity is do to the low production of new
Z'S in Japan due to natural disasters and problems surrounding.Another factor in this area,the Z is seen as cool...More Civic guys are moving up to a car that is now affordable and has really gained additional popularity in the last year.
Yes,we that have had many cars over the years,sold at the right time...made money.
Took hits,lost our shirt.
I wish I STILL HAD MY 62'Jag E Type that I "gave away"years ago.Oh well..

.I agree with the fact that a 03 is a 03 as far as blue book value goes.If you deal with a car dealer,thats what you are gonna hear.But to the 22yr old guy that just unloaded his Mazda,he sees a FI Z,lowered,exhaust,rims...he's
gonna do all he can to get that car.Passion overcomes price at times!

Last edited by JCITY; 10-29-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:51 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

Yep.. thing is that there's very few cash buying youngsters whod buy a car so far over book..its a difference between a guy like u who can buy something big and neat because you can.wrote a check.. versus the younger crowd overpaying for a 240 by sacraficing their food money an extra couple of months ha.