Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Might be picking up a 350z 04 , Need some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
icer5160

Received 401 Likes on 302 Posts

Hey Diabolix,

"Says that the base model did not come with HID's but all other Z models did? Also it mentioned something as to installed a D2R bulb or D2S would work with standard halogen with a simple relay / harness i believe? Thanks!"

Regarding the HIDs, I have a base 2006 350Z and I have the newer HIDs factory. I'm not 100% sure about the 2004s and if there is a difference between the Base and say Touring models. I thought they all used the same Lamps. Regarding the bulbs. This is an aftermarket thing. Before I had my Z, I drove a 99 Honda accord coupe 4-banger 5-speed manual. Looked nice, was comfortable, but gutless. Anyway, I ended up buying an HID kit for it:

http://www.carhidkits.com/xenon-hid-kit-99/

...which uses the factory wiring harness but includes ballasts and a Zenon HID bulbs that fit the factory lamp socket. You see these all the time. Extremely bright, kind of annoying because people don't know how to adjust their lenses to point down a few degrees. I loved my kit. I could see the road 10 times better and if you don't have HIDs already, this is the cheapest way to get the benefits. Projector lenses are the sexiest imo and I love my factory projectors in my Z.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Diabolix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
Sounds like a good buy.With the miles&pics,could be a older guy that owned the car.
It looks extremely clean.As far as checking VIN's on body parts,this is not a "all #'s
match" collector's car.I'd just check it over.By looking at the car,I'd guess the engine is just as clean.I would'nt be too hung up on the tire feathering issues.You'd think that those would have been fixed by the owner.In addition,the aftermarket wheels are not
the stock size.They look to be 19's.Maybe,20's.IMO,19'S look best on the Z.18's if you plan on tracking your car.If you do go with 18's,your tire selection raises some questions.
The Z has a staggered set up.The 9" wheels will work.I'd do a wider wheel in the rear,
like a 10-10.5.OEM tire size is:225/45/18 front,245/45/18 rear.You could upgrade those sizes to,255/40/18&275/40/18 and still be in the correct tolerances.The car would look better too.

Yah for sure not any kind of collectors car. i don't mind if something got replaced, thing is if it was in an accident which could mean Frame damage, Basically i think if i could see matching VIN's that would make me feel more comfortable and know for sure the car was never wrecked and not reported to insurance. But none the less car will be looked at by professional! And yah i think im going to either run 245/40/18 in F and maybe 265/45/18 R. Give it a more aggressive look. Thanks for feedback too!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Diabolix

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I have a 2004.5 and love it. You can simply look at the vin sticker or see if there are knee pads. I was debating a WRX or a Z. I got the Z because to me it was more fun to drive with a bit of luxury (my Z is a touring with heated seats, bose etc).
I loved my Evo and STi Definately. Just want to get into something new and start a new project. Especially a RWD can have some fun with that! And i'm already planning on changing some of the interior pieces (CF Door panels, Bride Seats Etc )
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Diabolix

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hey Diabolix,

"Says that the base model did not come with HID's but all other Z models did? Also it mentioned something as to installed a D2R bulb or D2S would work with standard halogen with a simple relay / harness i believe? Thanks!"

Regarding the HIDs, I have a base 2006 350Z and I have the newer HIDs factory. I'm not 100% sure about the 2004s and if there is a difference between the Base and say Touring models. I thought they all used the same Lamps. Regarding the bulbs. This is an aftermarket thing. Before I had my Z, I drove a 99 Honda accord coupe 4-banger 5-speed manual. Looked nice, was comfortable, but gutless. Anyway, I ended up buying an HID kit for it:

http://www.carhidkits.com/xenon-hid-kit-99/

...which uses the factory wiring harness but includes ballasts and a Zenon HID bulbs that fit the factory lamp socket. You see these all the time. Extremely bright, kind of annoying because people don't know how to adjust their lenses to point down a few degrees. I loved my kit. I could see the road 10 times better and if you don't have HIDs already, this is the cheapest way to get the benefits. Projector lenses are the sexiest imo and I love my factory projectors in my Z.
I haven't received a Straight up Picture of the car from the front to see the headlights directly. According to the guy he says all 350z's have the same headlamps, Sure the shape is the same, but crossing my Fingers he has an upgraded package for HID's already on the car and all i have to do is throw a D2R or S 8k Bulb in there lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Diabolix

Bump to my new Z
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
icer5160

Nope, not all 350Zs have the same headlights. There are distinct differences:

Here's a link for the 2006-2009 Head lamps: (featured year 08)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20...Z_--_NHTSA.jpg

Here's a link for the 2003-2005: (featured year 03)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nissan350Z-01.jpg

I'm assuming you already checked out the car. So which lamps/lights do you have and are you striking a deal?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM
icer5160

You can also clearly see the differences in the front bumpers and grills between the years. The 2007-2009s also have a hump/bump in their hood. This I believe was done to accommodate the HR engine with it's sexy dual intake.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Diabolix

Nope, not all 350Zs have the same headlights. There are distinct differences:

Here's a link for the 2006-2009 Head lamps: (featured year 08)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20...Z_--_NHTSA.jpg

Here's a link for the 2003-2005: (featured year 03)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nissan350Z-01.jpg

I'm assuming you already checked out the car. So which lamps/lights do you have and are you striking a deal?
Yes i already bought the car 1/26 down in LA!!, i updated the thread earlier on my first post. But i have the smaller headlights or projector lense. i see the difference for sure with the HR projector is twice as big. However, i belive i have HID's installed in my car, but i can't be for certain. I'm going to fold back the wheel lining and check the bulb sometime this week.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Diabolix

You can also clearly see the differences in the front bumpers and grills between the years. The 2007-2009s also have a hump/bump in their hood. This I believe was done to accommodate the HR engine with it's sexy dual intake.
Yah the HR motor i was told is superior of course to the DE and is stronger. I plan on putting a turbo in sometime in the next year or so only because i was able to get a killer deal on this Z. (Saving up my G's. i know it's like 5-8k) lol. i did a little research and from what i took from the research is it's easier , or there are many more options to Turbo'ing a DE opposed to a HR tho , but i might be mistaken with that. As for now my plans with the Z are, Front Lip, new wheels / tires already on their way. Exhaust, Intake and a Tune. To be quite honest. The car is a lot faster than i expected it to be. And well i'm very happy with it even though it's a DE!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
icer5160

Very happy to hear you're happy! Nothing like getting a sweet deal on a solid Z. I probably over-paid for my 2006 350Z base by a few Gs, but the car was well taken care of. I picked it up in 2010 with only 16k miles on it. The interior was in near mint condition, except for a few minor "nicks" on the door/window/lock controls. These models are notorious for the black paint/coating on these plastic pieces to chip off very easily. A minor scratch from a fingernail or impact with a ring/bracelet will chip it. Other than that, the car is excellent both in and out. I of course did find a few other flaws that I wish I had noticed prior to purchasing the car. It would have given me a better chance to bargain with the price. But you live and you learn. I plan on keeping my Z for as long as possible. It's the best daily driver I've ever had. I don't think there has ever been a moment when I haven't smiled after climbing in and firing up that engine.

I currently have the Bassani catback and Momentum Performance Exhaust headers(Uprev Osiris tune as well as JWT pop) and the sound is just fantastic. Beastly, but without the annoying rasp. In the long term I plan on Supercharging it, but not before getting the rest of the supporting mods. Next step ART pipes(and maybe MREV2 with a retune) and I'm always on the lookout for some good rims. Why is everyone so obsessed with 19"! Sure it looks great, but offers little in terms of performance and degrades ride comfort! Plus it increases your tire cost! To each his own I suppose, me I'll stick with 18"s, just hard to find a good set.

Good luck with the Z! I might even run into you sometime if you ever hookup with ZONC.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Shawz1102

agreed....
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Diabolix

Very happy to hear you're happy! Nothing like getting a sweet deal on a solid Z. I probably over-paid for my 2006 350Z base by a few Gs, but the car was well taken care of. I picked it up in 2010 with only 16k miles on it. The interior was in near mint condition, except for a few minor "nicks" on the door/window/lock controls. These models are notorious for the black paint/coating on these plastic pieces to chip off very easily. A minor scratch from a fingernail or impact with a ring/bracelet will chip it. Other than that, the car is excellent both in and out. I of course did find a few other flaws that I wish I had noticed prior to purchasing the car. It would have given me a better chance to bargain with the price. But you live and you learn. I plan on keeping my Z for as long as possible. It's the best daily driver I've ever had. I don't think there has ever been a moment when I haven't smiled after climbing in and firing up that engine.

I currently have the Bassani catback and Momentum Performance Exhaust headers(Uprev Osiris tune as well as JWT pop) and the sound is just fantastic. Beastly, but without the annoying rasp. In the long term I plan on Supercharging it, but not before getting the rest of the supporting mods. Next step ART pipes(and maybe MREV2 with a retune) and I'm always on the lookout for some good rims. Why is everyone so obsessed with 19"! Sure it looks great, but offers little in terms of performance and degrades ride comfort! Plus it increases your tire cost! To each his own I suppose, me I'll stick with 18"s, just hard to find a good set.

Good luck with the Z! I might even run into you sometime if you ever hookup with ZONC.

For sure man! Yah i ordered the Agency Power Ti Single exit catback, heard the drone is pretty bad and it's quite loud but i heard it on youtube and in real person and it really brings out the beautifulness that is this cars sound! And yah the chromies that came on the car when i bought it the 19's definately have to go. Already listed them on craigslist with tires for like 650 obo hoping to get at least $500 for them. Got my tires on the way for my 18x9 wheels, hopefuly coming in tomorrow. But these 19's i have now are jiggy. And yah i'll look into this ZONC, you have any more info how to join up for they have seperate forums??
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
icer5160

Regarding ZONC. I went on one of their tours/drives through the Santa Cruz mountains a few years back. We started at Z Car Garage in San Jose and moved from there to Scott's Valley via 17 to have a few hour tour of the Canepa Motorsport Museum(that was really awesome!). Afterwards we headed deep into the mountains and stopped for lunch. I had a great time, there was a very large turn out. I have not driven with them since nor have I joined up and become a member. Partly because of work and partly because of my current relationship. I used to have so much more free time, but these days I'm always busy with some project or another on the weekends. But lately I've been thinking about becoming a member, even if I don't have time to participate in everything. It's cheap to join ($30 for 1 year) and the membership does offer some discounts at participating shops/dealers. You can find out more information at zonc.org.

Anyway, back to work for me. Wish I was out driving, this weather is just fantastic for a Skyline run.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Diabolix

Regarding ZONC. I went on one of their tours/drives through the Santa Cruz mountains a few years back. We started at Z Car Garage in San Jose and moved from there to Scott's Valley via 17 to have a few hour tour of the Canepa Motorsport Museum(that was really awesome!). Afterwards we headed deep into the mountains and stopped for lunch. I had a great time, there was a very large turn out. I have not driven with them since nor have I joined up and become a member. Partly because of work and partly because of my current relationship. I used to have so much more free time, but these days I'm always busy with some project or another on the weekends. But lately I've been thinking about becoming a member, even if I don't have time to participate in everything. It's cheap to join ($30 for 1 year) and the membership does offer some discounts at participating shops/dealers. You can find out more information at zonc.org.

Anyway, back to work for me. Wish I was out driving, this weather is just fantastic for a Skyline run.

Yah that sounds like a good meetup man. And thanks for link i'll check it out. Maybe see you out there sometime haha. And yah this weather lately has been hella nice!!! tomorrow time for a Wash / Detail. Also lip install!!!