Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

How to lower price on 2004 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
ineedmorespeeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lower price on 2004 350z?

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy a 2004 350z with about 45k miles on it with an auto trans. The guy is asking 15k but that is too much for me. I looked at the vin and this is a 2004.5 so I think tire feathering shouldn't really be an issue. Can u guys tell me ways I can convince the guy to lower the price. Maybe talk about the defects the car could have or something like that. Basically I wanna make the guy think that he has to get for of the car. Any help would be great

http://iphone.hurdchevrolet.com/index.htm#used_p_2FNissan_p_2F2004-Nissan-350Z-51dc78ed0a0a004901e3a7ec785550a2_p_2Ehtm
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I assume that's a dealer, right? It's called negotiating, you don't need a reason other than wanting to pay less. You know he's asking a high price because he knows you're going to insist on a lower one.

Sorry to say that there aren't a lot of defects that you can use as an argument. Window motor problem? Take $100 off.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What model?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Bruno350z

Show up with a 12,000 money order check already written out. Hand it to him, point at the car and say that one.
If he says no just take the check and start to rip it, guarantee he'll change his mind when he see's 12 g's leave his fingertips.

That's what my dad did with the Mercedes he bought my mom. They were asking 32, he brought it down to 28. Left to get the check, came back with 25. Guy refused so my dad took the check and just before he was about to rip it, the guy weeped a yes and my dad got the car
Money talks
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruno350z
Show up with a 12,000 money order check already written out. Hand it to him, point at the car and say that one.
If he says no just take the check and start to rip it, guarantee he'll change his mind when he see's 12 g's leave his fingertips.

That's what my dad did with the Mercedes he bought my mom. They were asking 32, he brought it down to 28. Left to get the check, came back with 25. Guy refused so my dad took the check and just before he was about to rip it, the guy weeped a yes and my dad got the car
Money talks

great story bro, tell it again.....
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by ineedmorespeeed
Hi guys

I'm looking to buy a 2004 350z with about 45k miles on it with an auto trans. The guy is asking 15k but that is too much for me. I looked at the vin and this is a 2004.5 so I think tire feathering shouldn't really be an issue. Can u guys tell me ways I can convince the guy to lower the price. Maybe talk about the defects the car could have or something like that. Basically I wanna make the guy think that he has to get for of the car. Any help would be great

http://iphone.hurdchevrolet.com/inde...5550a2_p_2Ehtm
After reading your questions on this thread and the other thread I do have a suggestion, in all seriousness, not trying to be disrespectful either.

You sound relatively young and inexperienced at negotiating with a car dealer. When I read your posts, I can't help but think that when you walk onto a car lot, especially looking at a used car, where a "fair/good deal" is much harder to define and pin down, that an experienced dealership sales team will see you as "easy prey" and chew you up and spit you out.....

You might not even think you are being "taken for a ride", and think that the nice guy salesman is "on your side", when in reality he and the sales manager will be giving each other high-fives and cracking up that "there's one born every minute..."

Do you have an older trusted relative who might be a bit more savvy who can go with you to the dealership? Your dad? An uncle?

Dealerships are finely tuned machines, with a well rehearsed and choreographed team of professionals, who know most every trick in the book for separating you from your hard earned dollars, and extracting every cent they can, at every point in the sale.

I won't say that I always get the best deal possible, but after having negotiated and purchased about a dozen cars in the last 20 years I have definitely gotten alot better at it, and I generally get a pretty darn good deal.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
j3tt2

Originally Posted by NismoDude
^^^^^ lol
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
ineedmorespeeed

Yeah that's because I lived in the city all my life and always used public transportation. Now that I moved I need to buy a car so yeah I am inexperienced, but u sir are flat out disrespectful. Take ur dad or uncle maybe? So take ur "savvyness" and stick it where the sun don't shine NismoDude
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 AM
NismoDude

Whatever dude. Just trying to help

Enjoy getting raped by the stealership

Your naïveté is all too obvious but you are too much of a tough guy to get it
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go in with a lot of research on the car including KBB and Edmunds values (Edmunds is typically lower). Also pull as many comparable sales in the area from both dealers and private parties and use this to build your case for what price you want to pay. If you can show that you can get a comparable car elsewhere at a cheaper price, they may be more willing to negotiate.

The most important thing is setting a walk away point, and not being afraid to leave if you're not getting what you want.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 AM
j3tt2

After reading your questions on this thread and the other thread I do have a suggestion, in all seriousness, not trying to be disrespectful either.

You sound relatively young and inexperienced at negotiating with a car dealer. When I read your posts, I can't help but think that when you walk onto a car lot, especially looking at a used car, where a "fair/good deal" is much harder to define and pin down, that an experienced dealership sales team will see you as "easy prey" and chew you up and spit you out.....

You might not even think you are being "taken for a ride", and think that the nice guy salesman is "on your side", when in reality he and the sales manager will be giving each other high-fives and cracking up that "there's one born every minute..."

Do you have an older trusted relative who might be a bit more savvy who can go with you to the dealership? Your dad? An uncle?

Dealerships are finely tuned machines, with a well rehearsed and choreographed team of professionals, who know most every trick in the book for separating you from your hard earned dollars, and extracting every cent they can, at every point in the sale.

I won't say that I always get the best deal possible, but after having negotiated and purchased about a dozen cars in the last 20 years I have definitely gotten alot better at it, and I generally get a pretty darn good deal.
I'm gonna have to back up a fellow CURRENT Z owner on this. My dad works at a dealership so I kinda know how they work. Everyone is different but in the end they are all greedy, smooth talking, well "oiled machines". You saying he was disrespectful by telling you to get help? Just offered a friendly piece of advice to someone who clearly doest have experience buying cars. This is experience that could save you a couple grand in a car deal. So go by yourself and pay sticker price because this car is "priced to sell", or find a different car thats in you price range.

This was rude BTW. Don't be a dueche to people who offer advice. You Gould have been flamed hard for asking a question about bringing up the negatives on a car that has been around for 10 years. It's called a google search. Use it
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 AM
NismoDude

Thanks J3.
Gotta love these stories some folks post about how they "told the dealer how it was gonna be...." lol! Even if you do your homework and play the game correctly, NOBODY is making the dealership lose money. This is not to imply that they are "bad guys" or doing anything immoral. They are a business, with rent and employees to pay. They EXIST to make money, and as stated, they have it down to a science from the moment you drive up to the curb and the salesman descends apon you, to the moment you sign the final paperwork in the finance office. Knowing how they work up front, not getting mentally invested in a deal, or pissed off that they won't "work with you", and playing the game correctly can save you thousands. I honestly think that as long as you don't become a jerk at any point, alot of dealerships/ managers ENJOY the challenge of closing a deal with a good negotiator..... not always, but that has been my experience more than once!

and ineedmorespeed, my intent was not to insult. I was just trying to shed a little light for you on a subject you clearly have little knowledge of. Take it, or leave it. But you leave it at your (wallet's) peril.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
ineedmorespeeed

Look i wanna clear the air here. i dont mean to be rude or a dueche to anyone, but i found NismoDude's first comment somewhat degrading and kind of insulting with the whole young and inexperienced comment. Yes, i do not have any real car buying experience because as i said i have been living in the city for so long ive only used public transportation. but thats still uncalled for.

i do want to apologize to NismoDude if my response to his post came across as insulting.

i dont mean to insult the 350z as i am very interested in buying one. I only mentioned the flaws with the car as potential points to lower the price. Im asking for advice on how to negotiate for this car, im not insulting it or anything like that. so dont take it the wrong way cause i really want to buy this car more than anything and im just trying to find a way to get the best deal possible.

But if you guys wanna help
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Bruno350z

See that's the beauty of the internet, I don't have to tell it again. Just scroll up and read it again
Look i wanna clear the air here. i dont mean to be rude or a dueche to anyone, but i found NismoDude's first comment somewhat degrading and kind of insulting with the whole young and inexperienced comment. Yes, i do not have any real car buying experience because as i said i have been living in the city for so long ive only used public transportation. but thats still uncalled for.

i do want to apologize to NismoDude if my response to his post came across as insulting.

i dont mean to insult the 350z as i am very interested in buying one. I only mentioned the flaws with the car as potential points to lower the price. Im asking for advice on how to negotiate for this car, im not insulting it or anything like that. so dont take it the wrong way cause i really want to buy this car more than anything and im just trying to find a way to get the best deal possible.

But if you guys wanna help
If you want the best possible price show up with cash. If you can't do cash, easiest way to get the best deal is to be friendly, play the dealers game, be firm on your price and choose between different cars. Don't make it look like you're relying on him or on a specific car.
For example, walk in pretending to not know what car you want, give him a price limit, choose a car 4,000 over. After negotiating a bit, tell him it's too steep and "accidently" run into the Z and restart the negotiation. If he's not budging leave your phone number and walk away.

Btw nismodude, yeah they look at age as a factor when knowing whether they can tear you a new as*hole or not, but when you go in knowing your stuff at a young age it catches them off guard. Since you love my stories so much, I'll just go ahead and tell you I got my friends Z from a dealer for $8800. They were asking $11,995 out the door. And yes, I'm 19 years old.
Use your age and knowledge against em
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by Bruno350z
See that's the beauty of the internet, I don't have to tell it again. Just scroll up and read it again

If you want the best possible price show up with cash. If you can't do cash, easiest way to get the best deal is to be friendly, play the dealers game, be firm on your price and choose between different cars. Don't make it look like you're relying on him or on a specific car.
For example, walk in pretending to not know what car you want, give him a price limit, choose a car 4,000 over. After negotiating a bit, tell him it's too steep and "accidently" run into the Z and restart the negotiation. If he's not budging leave your phone number and walk away.

Btw nismodude, yeah they look at age as a factor when knowing whether they can tear you a new as*hole or not, but when you go in knowing your stuff at a young age it catches them off guard. Since you love my stories so much, I'll just go ahead and tell you I got my friends Z from a dealer for $8800. They were asking $11,995 out the door. And yes, I'm 19 years old.
Use your age and knowledge against em

This is actually pretty good advice. (except for the cash part, only strippers and drug dealers show up with 10-15k cash at a dealership...)

You are definitely much savvier than I was at 19.

At 19, I was a sportbike rider (didn't own a car until I was 25), but I probably got taken to the cleaners on a few bike deals, lol!

U gotta admit though, the OP does NOT appear as saavy. His posts give off an "eagerness" to close the deal on whatever car he is looking at. And as stated, an experienced car salesman will smell that on him like stink on s*it, and get him to fall for that, "what do I need to get your monthly payment down to, to put you in this car today?"
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Bruno350z

This is actually pretty good advice. (except for the cash part, only strippers and drug dealers show up with 10-15k cash at a dealership...)

You are definitely much savvier than I was at 19.

At 19, I was a sportbike rider (didn't own a car until I was 25), but I probably got taken to the cleaners on a few bike deals, lol!

U gotta admit though, the OP does NOT appear as saavy. His posts give off an "eagerness" to close the deal on whatever car he is looking at. And as stated, an experienced car salesman will smell that on him like stink on s*it, and get him to fall for that, "what do I need to get your monthly payment down to, to put you in this car today?"
Well.. I'm not a drug dealer...
Ah, lucky man. My only regret is getting a car before a bike lol

Yeah that's true, but it's easy enough to learn
Lmao that's a nationwide statement they all use, I remember when I bought my Z the dealer asked me that and my natural reply to him was $1 a month. His face was priceless, then I dropped $8,000 cash on the table next to my dad's credit card, he then agreed to my original $12,000 out the door offer lol
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
NismoDude

I actually get a kick out of seeing the dealership "machine" go into action, because it's like clockwork. The salesman like sharks swimming around the entrance, ready to feed.....

Last car I bought, was joking around with the car salesman after we closed the deal, and he was telling me his techniques for getting the jump on other car salesman when a customer drove on the lot, it was all about "angles, and position", lol!

I also remember when I was driving a crappy beater car Toyota Tercel back in the day, it was a bit harder to get a test drive, etc.

Nowadays I drive a nicer car when I go to the dealer (currently an MB E63 AMG), and I get offered up a test drive as soon as I even look at a car on the lot. Even got to test drive a used 2012 GTR when I was shopping for my Z, although I had no plans of spending that much. It also helps quell the universal "what do I need to get the monthly payment down to" discussion, when I tell them I will just be writing them a check if we can reach an agreement we are all happy with. Although salesman STILL use that line every time, they just can't help themselves.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Bruno350z

Yeah it is pretty interesting watching them, but I get a kick out of the people who get such a horrible deal. Makes me laugh lol
But when they use that line, if you know what you're doing, you're already winning the game lol
It's funny when I was shopping around, I had to go with my friend who at the time drove a 300zx. Every dealer I drove too I had to initiate the conversation and they weren't willing to budge on price whatsoever no matter what I told them. I have this huge thing for respect, so at that point I just started fu*king with them. I showed the cash and said, well guess you don't want to negotiate for this. Needless to say, I could've walked out with a 2004 Z touring with 75k miles for 10,000. But dealer didn't deserve the comission haha
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
dab69

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/co...-for-2009.html
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah that's because I lived in the city all my life and always used public transportation. Now that I moved I need to buy a car so yeah I am inexperienced, but u sir are flat out disrespectful. Take ur dad or uncle maybe? So take ur "savvyness" and stick it where the sun don't shine NismoDude
Because responding like that is going to get the help you are asking for...

He gave advice, no disrespect, not even criticism. If you are too immature to take it, perhaps you are too immature to own a car.

Quick Reply: How to lower price on 2004 350z?