Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Should I get a Nissan 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:10 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

i am surprised you are getting financing, when i got the corvette most places wanted to do just 3-4 years.... and that is with me putting 15k down.

if you get an 07-08 (known as the HR's) they are known for the slave cylinder going out. to fix that you have to drop the trans, unless you can do it yourself there goes your grand buffer
Old 10-23-2015, 03:45 AM
CptWiggles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by travlee
i am surprised you are getting financing, when i got the corvette most places wanted to do just 3-4 years.... and that is with me putting 15k down.

if you get an 07-08 (known as the HR's) they are known for the slave cylinder going out. to fix that you have to drop the trans, unless you can do it yourself there goes your grand buffer
The slave does not fully fail, but it does suck to drive with the stock slave. You can get the rjm clutch pedal assembly which will mask the issue and keep the car drivable for quite a while. I got my 08 at 75k miles, put the rjm assembly in at 80k, I'm now at 100k on the stock slave doing fine and I bring it to drift, track, and autox events.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

every car and slave is different, i had 2 of them fail
Old 10-23-2015, 05:27 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Bottom line is, he cant afford it. Why are we even argueing. 190 a week is crap pay. Its not enough. Thisnis life, **** happens. And if youre living paycheck to paycheck, when **** hits the fan youre screw. Look at the members who got repoed...
Old 10-23-2015, 06:29 AM
CptWiggles

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Bottom line is, he cant afford it. Why are we even argueing. 190 a week is crap pay. Its not enough. Thisnis life, **** happens. And if youre living paycheck to paycheck, when **** hits the fan youre screw. Look at the members who got repoed...
I disagree. He can make it work, he just needs to keep a sufficient amount of money in the bank just in case. He likely needs a car anyway, and a reliable car can be hard to come by and the 350 is reliable. If he gets a car under 5k it's probably going to need some work and money anyway so in reality it's worth it to spend a bit more on something you won't have to sink money into later and give you headaches.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 AM
turboed350z

Hondas, toyota, scions, nissans (other than the 350z) are all reliable, cheaper, with cheaper parts. Hes 19, makes 190 a week, he can NOT afford it. If you want to argue other wise, thats just bad money management. These cars are 10 years old. If you have to finance a 10 year old car and can only have a safety net of 1000 and only able to save 15 bucks every week. You can NOT afford it.

Not being an *******, just being realistic. Parts are expensive for the 350z. The insurance and payment is expensive for a 10 year old car. He does not make enough. These are facts.

But then again, the average american is in debt and living paycheck to paycheck. Learn to live within your means and dont buy things you cant afford. If you have to ask, you cant afford it. If you cant buy it twice, you cant afford it.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:24 AM
CptWiggles

Hondas, toyota, scions, nissans (other than the 350z) are all reliable, cheaper, with cheaper parts. Hes 19, makes 190 a week, he can NOT afford it. If you want to argue other wise, thats just bad money management. These cars are 10 years old. If you have to finance a 10 year old car and can only have a safety net of 1000 and only able to save 15 bucks every week. You can NOT afford it.

Not being an *******, just being realistic. Parts are expensive for the 350z. The insurance and payment is expensive for a 10 year old car. He does not make enough. These are facts.

But then again, the average american is in debt and living paycheck to paycheck. Learn to live within your means and dont buy things you cant afford. If you have to ask, you cant afford it. If you cant buy it twice, you cant afford it.
Any other reliable Japanese car that is less than 10 years old and in good shape is going to cost around the same as a 350z. Just because it's a performance car does not mean it is expensive to maintain, it is not. Parts for the 350z are no more expensive than any other Japanese car.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:39 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by CptWiggles
Any other reliable Japanese car that is less than 10 years old and in good shape is going to cost around the same as a 350z. Just because it's a performance car does not mean it is expensive to maintain, it is not. Parts for the 350z are no more expensive than any other Japanese car.

Are you kidding me??? First of all, the 350z part ARE more expensive than say, a honda part or a toyota part. The fact is, he can NOT afford it and he should NOT buy it. It isnt smart to do so.

But his money, he can do as he wish. Just saying, another member here was repoed because he was in the same situation as OP. He thought that simply because you can buy it means you can afford it. These are NOT the same thing.

Im done argueing with someone who clearly doesnt understand that 750 a month is enough for a car like this. He doesnt need a 350. He cant afford a 350. He should look for something else.

But whatever, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. Im not going to waste my time on someone who already made up their mind and simply looking for validation on their bad decisions.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 AM
CptWiggles

Are you kidding me??? First of all, the 350z part ARE more expensive than say, a honda part or a toyota part. The fact is, he can NOT afford it and he should NOT buy it. It isnt smart to do so.

But his money, he can do as he wish. Just saying, another member here was repoed because he was in the same situation as OP. He thought that simply because you can buy it means you can afford it. These are NOT the same thing.

Im done argueing with someone who clearly doesnt understand that 750 a month is enough for a car like this. He doesnt need a 350. He cant afford a 350. He should look for something else.

But whatever, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. Im not going to waste my time on someone who already made up their mind and simply looking for validation on their bad decisions.
Calm down, I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm just not as much of a cynic apparently. When buying a car or house at any point in life it is always a risk. What if you lose your job with a kid on the way and the lady doesn't make enough to support all of this for a bit? The point is **** happens in life, but if no one ever took a risk, everyone would pay cash for everything and never get a loan. It's how the system works, so make it work for you. As long as you're smart, responsible, and don't reach too much you'll most likely be ok. I do still recommend a minimum of 2k in the bank at all times with a very low monthly payment. You'll be setting yourself up for good credit in the future with relatively low risk.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:48 AM
turboed350z

Calm down, I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm just not as much of a cynic apparently. When buying a car or house at any point in life it is always a risk. What if you lose your job with a kid on the way and the lady doesn't make enough to support all of this for a bit? The point is **** happens in life, but if no one ever took a risk, everyone would pay cash for everything and never get a loan. It's how the system works, so make it work for you. As long as you're smart, responsible, and don't reach too much you'll most likely be ok. I do still recommend a minimum of 2k in the bank at all times with a very low monthly payment. You'll be setting yourself up for good credit in the future with relatively low risk.

You dont understand. The point isnt about loans or any of that. Its that he does not make enough for the car. Thats like telling a mcdonal flipper to go buy a lotus or s maseratti. They can make the payment. But they cant afford the car.

Its plain and simple if you cant afford it you cant afford it. 1k safety net isnt that much. What if he buys a lemon with engine damage? Or other varis problems? Fact is he cant afford it and trying to say otherwisr just shows poor finacial planning. He needs to live within his financial means. And a 350z isnt part of that.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Think I made that suggestion in page 1
Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 AM
CptWiggles

You dont understand. The point isnt about loans or any of that. Its that he does not make enough for the car. Thats like telling a mcdonal flipper to go buy a lotus or s maseratti. They can make the payment. But they cant afford the car.

Its plain and simple if you cant afford it you cant afford it. 1k safety net isnt that much. What if he buys a lemon with engine damage? Or other varis problems? Fact is he cant afford it and trying to say otherwisr just shows poor finacial planning. He needs to live within his financial means. And a 350z isnt part of that.
You can say that about literally any car though. It could be a 2008 Toyota Corolla and it COULD be a lemon with engine or transmission issues too. I don't know what he can realistically save every month. But he said 400$ a month could potentially be dedicated strictly to the car. If like I said he keeps 2k in the bank at all times, and keeps saving that 400$ a month, there is absolutely no reason he couldn't afford the car. I feel like there is a lot of stigma being put on the fact that it's a 350z, whoopdie-****ing-doo, if he got a Camry that cost the same as the 350 would that be a smarter idea? It is a reliable car that is no more likely to break him financially than any other car.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM
JSDZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry bud. This will be tough. You plan on living with your parents forever just so you can afford a 350Z? Get your priorities in line, finish college, drive a beater, then get a "big boy job" and buy a Z.

Also, this will give you more time to save money so you can buy the Z you really want, and not settle for something a little cheaper.

If you do go through with it, which you probably will, don't forget gas, insurance, registration, smog, and repairs. Plan on adding an average of another 50% to your car payment to cover everything each month (some months will be less, some will be more).
Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 AM
turboed350z

You can say that about literally any car though. It could be a 2008 Toyota Corolla and it COULD be a lemon with engine or transmission issues too. I don't know what he can realistically save every month. But he said 400$ a month could potentially be dedicated strictly to the car. If like I said he keeps 2k in the bank at all times, and keeps saving that 400$ a month, there is absolutely no reason he couldn't afford the car. I feel like there is a lot of stigma being put on the fact that it's a 350z, whoopdie-****ing-doo, if he got a Camry that cost the same as the 350 would that be a smarter idea? It is a reliable car that is no more likely to break him financially than any other car.

Hes making 750 a month no way is he saving 400.... also yea a camry is better, because the replacement parts are cheaper....
Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 AM
CptWiggles

Hes making 750 a month no way is he saving 400.... also yea a camry is better, because the replacement parts are cheaper....
Please give me an example of what part is cheaper on a Camry than a 350.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 AM
turboed350z

Please give me an example of what part is cheaper on a Camry than a 350.
Same year, a 350z head lights is going to be more expensive. The intake is going to be more expensive. The exhaust is going to be more expensive. Oem wheels are more expensive.

Again this is a poor finacial decision and the fact you want to argue further prove my point that you have poor finacial planning. To add to that, your example of "if you lose your job and have a kid on the way. Can your wife single handedly handle all the bills?" The answer is, she wouldnt have too, since i have enough in my savings to live comfortably for 4-6 months of unemployment. Just like what finacial advisor advices you to do.

Im dont argueing with you. It seems youre the only one who thinks he can do it, while all the older mature member says its not smart and that he cant. Look at the other thread. A guy go hit, his z is likely total, he still owes 3k on it. Pay out is probably around 7k (depending on his year and trim) thats going to leave him with 4k to buy another car....
Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Has anyone thrown out the G35 suggestion yet... Got room for your lady friend and 2 of her favorite trophies.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Urquidij357

The insurance and car payment come out to 62$ combined... I can easily afford that and put more away every week if needed. I'm obviously going to wait until I find that diamond in the rut, obviously it's going to take some time but it'll pay off. I don't plan on turboing mine like you did to yours, probably just nicer wheels, exhaust and maybe a little more. Other than that I'll baby the hell out it especially knowing I'm paying for it
Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Urquidij357
The insurance and car payment come out to 62$ combined... I can easily afford that and put more away every week if needed. I'm obviously going to wait until I find that diamond in the rut, obviously it's going to take some time but it'll pay off. I don't plan on turboing mine like you did to yours, probably just nicer wheels, exhaust and maybe a little more. Other than that I'll baby the hell out it especially knowing I'm paying for it

So youre looking for a z around 12k... down payment is gonna be around 6k. That means you owe 6k, and the monthly payment and insurance is only gonna be around 62 bucks? That means youll be on the loan for around 10 years..... a 10 year loan for a 10 year car screams financial mistake....but do what you want with your money. Clearly your mind is already made up.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Urquidij357

So youre looking for a z around 12k... down payment is gonna be around 6k. That means you owe 6k, and the monthly payment and insurance is only gonna be around 62 bucks? That means youll be on the loan for around 10 years..... a 10 year loan for a 10 year car screams financial mistake....but do what you want with your money. Clearly your mind is already made up.
Not completely made up but pretty close tbh. But no, I got a super low interest rate because my parents consigned and they have amazing credit, and they are also helping with insurance a little. It's a. 5 year loan

Quick Reply: Should I get a Nissan 350z?