Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Should I get a Nissan 350z?

Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 PM
CptWiggles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you looking at a 350z, do you really want a rwd car? Because you know there are plenty of pretty nice looking, reliable, sporty, fwd cars that won't punish you harshly if you **** up.

Last edited by CptWiggles; 10-23-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:30 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
You ****ing called it haha 99 accord.... haha
I only pretend to be a simplton so when my predictions come out accurate the world is amazed.

But speaking of accords I sold a 98 accord to one of my co workers like 8 months ago for $300 he loves that thing 200k miles and still getting him to work on time.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Urquidij357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CptWiggles
Why are you looking at a 350z, do you really want a rwd car? Because you know there are plenty of pretty nice looking, reliable, sporty, fwd cars that won't punish you harshly if you **** up.
Well I want an Evo or wrx but they are a little out of my price range. I've looked into ms3 and g35s in the past but I always thought they ran a little more expensive. Also after seeing my buddies 350z it's had me pretty hooked and from what I've read everyone that has one loves theirs.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:31 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

in all seriousness, it is a totally different beast than a fwd car. it can and will get out from you pretty quick
Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

And remember no cruise control in the rain.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Urquidij357

Originally Posted by travlee
in all seriousness, it is a totally different beast than a fwd car. it can and will get out from you pretty quick
I know it's a beast that's why I want it😆
Old 10-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Urquidij357

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
And remember no cruise control in the rain.
Luckily I live in SoCal so rain isn't too much of a worry
Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 PM
travlee
Master

i will be nice because about 5 beers in....

i would go find a big open parking lot... nothing to hit. sling the car around, kick the rear end out, learn how to correct the spins... because if you don't know what to do to when it happens is when you are going to get in trouble. also don't rice it out
Old 10-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Urquidij357

i will be nice because about 5 beers in....

i would go find a big open parking lot... nothing to hit. sling the car around, kick the rear end out, learn how to correct the spins... because if you don't know what to do to when it happens is when you are going to get in trouble. also don't rice it out
Yeah that's a really good idea and I will most likely do that. Haha and no I like the simple and clean look, but then you won't be expecting what's under the hood😉
Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 PM
RyanNISMO

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urquidij357
Yeah that's a really good idea and I will most likely do that. Haha and no I like the simple and clean look, but then you won't be expecting what's under the hood😉
alright I didn't read all of these posts but here's my 2 cents. the diff mount on every z blows out so that's 100 bucks for whiteline and a couple day job by yourself. if you pay someone then there goes probably 300 bucks. I would guess you want a 6 speed so you need to learn stick which means extra wear on the clutch. most likely you're going to need to replace the clutch soon and given the post I just quoted you want more power (who doesn't) so ipp has a jwt clutch and flywheel with extra goodies for 750 shipped. best quote ive gotten on a clutch job is 350 so I'm doing the job myself (weekend job). next, the front suspension seems to be problematic so for bushings which I wouldn't replace with anything but slp solid bushings, that will run you 100-150 each. also door handles I read break at about 60,000 miles and that's when my interior driver side broke which is a major PITA to drive with. those run from 60-100. gas I get about 23 city 30 hwy. those are the most notable expenses that I can think of right now.

for building if you want fast with bolt ons then remove as much weight as you can and get an hr (07-08) if you want to go turbo or procharger and are on a budget then go de (03-06) since parts tend to be cheaper and you still get big power with FI. also check the facebook pages and the marketplace here for deals on used and pre owned but never installed parts, you will save a TON of money. and remember function over form

now for the outside world and your car... I learned from experience that a judge with an 18 year old speeding with a 350 z will throw the book at you where if you're speeding in for say an Altima you might get it reduced; so be careful. the z gets a lot of attention which is good at times but horrible whenever you pass a cop. also, don't try and show off by drifting if there is ANYTHING to hit. I have seen many people ruin a beautiful car showing off. don't be an idiot and be safe. there is a time and place for everything. also thank you for not ricing your car out. hellaflush is probably the worst thing to ever happen to the car community. other than that, search the forums before you post and have fun if you get it. I must say it is both the best and worst decision I have ever made getting this car. I wake up to my dreams every day and it gives me something to look forward to and i keep wanting faster and my paychecks keep disappearing...

ps: 12k is a lot for a z. I got my 03 with 58500 miles with a stillen body kit, g@y wheels, plenum spacer, and a basani exhaust for 9100. all it needed was a wheel bearing. and all of the parts I mentioned above. clean title too. so I would look around a bit if I was you and buy used, don't buy from a stealership cause you will end up voiding your warranty anyways with mods and get riped off.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:52 AM
travlee
Master

12k isnt bad, but i would have to see it... i sold mine for 14200
Old 10-24-2015, 07:08 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

12k isnt bad, but i would have to see it... i sold mine for 14200
And that was with the buddy bro discount.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:24 AM
travlee
Master

yeah, and alot of nice parts were on it. saved me trouble of parting and selling, or trading in and getting screwed. he had also seen the car since day one, and it just had full paint correction done on it a couple months prior
Old 10-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Urquidij357

yeah, and alot of nice parts were on it. saved me trouble of parting and selling, or trading in and getting screwed. he had also seen the car since day one, and it just had full paint correction done on it a couple months prior
Yeah I'll post some pics whenever I get it
Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 AM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you this now... I'm only 20 years old and I bought my 03 Z in November of 2014 when I was 19, so I've had my car for almost a year now. Nissans are generally very reliable. I drove a 99 maxima and it hit over 200k miles and its still kicking strong. While I was driivng my old maxima, I saved up $12,000 on my own for about a year and a half and bought my Z for $11k. With every car, there wil lalways be maintenance. It all depends on how far you're willing to go to take care of your Z or any car for that matter. Depends on how much you're willing to spend on oil changes and other wear and tear parts like clutches, tires, and even (hate to say it) transmissions $$$$$$$. I've had my Z for just under a year and I already shelled out over $5k into the car, a lot of it being performance parts and a brand new CD009 transmission since my old one started to go out. IMO, the car has a strong motor. I bought my Z with 77k miles and have 85k miles on it now. Have never had an issue with the engine. And also being that its a powerful RWD sports car, you're going to wanna beat on it and push it to its limits. Answer always is that it depends on what you're looking to gain from a Z and how far you're willing to go to take care of it. I'm pretty **** about taking care of my Z, to the point where I bought a brand new transmission. But that's only because I saved up the money for it. Spending money on car parts is never a smart/responsible thing. No parent will agree with it. However, it's an experience and good one, just expensive. You learn a lot of knowledge about the auto world. Don't stratify your funds into specific categories Just make sure you have a decent cash cushion you can fall back on in case you do run into issues with your Z.

As far as being able to afford it, I'm not really in support of financing any car at such a young age. Unless you're making bank, you don't want to waste too much of your life on a car. You're still young, have fun, party, do well in school, etc. Live your life while you're young. You're only 19 and have plenty of time to buy a nice sports car. If you want the Z, dedicate yourself to saving up the cash to buy a Z if you want it that bad like I did. I've been working in retail for only 2+ years bringing home $220-$270 per week. However, not kid has a job paying over $13/hour like i do. Yes, i shelled out a ton of money on my Z already, but I'm still doing okay. I still have money to play around with to go out, take a nice girl out, chill with the boys, etc. In essence, live a balanced life

Last edited by CNunes_95; 10-27-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 AM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what mine looks like
Old 10-31-2015, 10:46 AM
chari
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Urquidij357
Sorry I should clear that up, I'm payed weekly at my job so I'm used to my payments coming out weekly . But my insurance is 128 a month and car payment is 120 a month. Divided up weekly is 62 a week
I would love for my car payments to be 120 a month, but of course that's not the case for me lol, I live on my own and and I'm caring for not just my Z but also my 2005 Spec. But your insurance sounds pretty high tho. What year and model is the car again?
Honestly, in my opinion, you should for now get a nice dependable car that will take you from point A to point B, till you know for sure you can afford to take care of a Z, once you buy one, you are gonna wanna fix it up and everything. Also as someone mentioned before, Z's are so beautiful that cops will be on your tail to see if you will do a slip up. It's happened to me a few times lately but I'm knockin on wood cuz I know what they are doin and eventually they will go away and look for someone else to catch. I'm in so cal too so tickets from cops is definitely something you don't need.
Do what makes you happy tho, it is your money. But you should live it up without worryin about big car payments and stuff like that right now while you are still young.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:46 PM
Urquidij357

Originally Posted by chari
I would love for my car payments to be 120 a month, but of course that's not the case for me lol, I live on my own and and I'm caring for not just my Z but also my 2005 Spec. But your insurance sounds pretty high tho. What year and model is the car again?
Honestly, in my opinion, you should for now get a nice dependable car that will take you from point A to point B, till you know for sure you can afford to take care of a Z, once you buy one, you are gonna wanna fix it up and everything. Also as someone mentioned before, Z's are so beautiful that cops will be on your tail to see if you will do a slip up. It's happened to me a few times lately but I'm knockin on wood cuz I know what they are doin and eventually they will go away and look for someone else to catch. I'm in so cal too so tickets from cops is definitely something you don't need.
Do what makes you happy tho, it is your money. But you should live it up without worryin about big car payments and stuff like that right now while you are still young.
I gave my insurance company a vin number for a 2006 Nissan 350z not too sure on the exact model
Old 10-31-2015, 04:01 PM
350z82

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP said that you have about 190 a week to put towards your (possibly future) Z, general maintenance is not cheap for the Z. Tires (around here anyways) run about 230ish a piece. Also, I would not make this car my first car. The handling is great for the car but if you've never driven a RWD performance car, then you will have some issues properly handling it. If you do get it, just be careful and don't let the power go to you head. Best of luck.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:31 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by chari

Insurance will sound high compared to yours. He is 16 year's younger then you and the opposite sex. Chances are high they are going to need to pay a claim not just because of the age and experience, but also because guys like to show off and drive stupider then their female counterparts.

Did that make you feel old?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get a Nissan 350z?