Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Thinking about picking up rebuilt title 350z. Right price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:42 AM
quamen22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about picking up rebuilt title 350z. Right price?

Found a 350z near Harrisburg PA for 2500 dollars. The owner does not know to much about the car since he bought it for his son who went back to India. The car did have a Salvage title at once for a rollover and then was reconstructed. I observed that it had alot of aftermarket parts such as D2 coilovers, camber kit, exhaust and a few other mods. The engine is blown on the vehicle and the body appears to be pretty straight.Thinking about picking it up as a project, but I am contemplating.

Very mechanically inclined, but own a business and work full time as well, so time is limited. I toying around with the idea of just buying something turn key and modding it from there, or getting this one super cheap and working on it. I talked to the last owner who states that frame is straight and it drove fine. Car is in decent shape with 75k on the dash.

Always wanted one of these cars for well over 10 years, but have also been very frugal with my money. I feel like there finally affordable and would love to get into one.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

I would walk away from any vehicle with a salvage title, especially from a rollover. What are your plans for a Z? Daily/weekend use or track time?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Agreed^^. If time is limited, why would you buy a car that will require substantial amounts of it to reconstruct? Spend a few more bucks and at least buy a Z with a good title that you can insure (many insurance companies do not offer full coverage for salvage vehicles).
Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 PM
quamen22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually I am more interested into making my own unique daily in the summer time. I have been wanting one since I first laid eyes on them over 10 years ago. I was leaning more towards what you guys were saying since I was going to sink a substantial amount of money into the vehicle. I was not so concerned about getting the money back on a sale If i ever decided to sell, but it just bothers me that I will possibly put well over 15k into a vehicle that has an extensive history with owners/accidents.

The more I have been thinking about it, the more I want to possibly find one that has not been touched and has low miles to make my own. I think it is in my best interest to keep searching for a clean slate and then start modifying. It is hard for me know to find alot of time for myself because of my businesses and employment status. I do appreciate the replies and will let you guys know If I can find something nice on the East Coast within the next few months.

I have been seeing alot of great deals on Craiglists for these vehicles that have clean titles, single owner, nice condition, but are modified to begin with. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like it is hard to find these things unmolested. As frugal as I am, i am trying to find something decent for around 10 k or less which I feel is completely reasonable even if it is a 03 or 04 model with bare bones.

Would love to get into the track days, just need to free up time for myself to do so.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I wouldn't worry so much about finding a completely stock Z33. Suspension mods are not difficult to swap out, but engine and in particular, electrics (harness, sensors and computer issues) are harder to track down. Look more closely at each car's service history and spend some money on a full mechanical assessment before you buy.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 PM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

you can find great deals on very well cared for Z's. Low mileage and clean, it just takes time. Like the others I'd stay away from a salvaged car. Bad Karma for sure.

Last edited by 35th4me; 12-24-2015 at 07:05 PM.