Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

College Student looking into 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:39 PM
carboyanno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College Student looking into 350z

Evening all,
As a prospective 350z enthusiast, I'm looking into trading my Miata for a 350z. I'm currently a Freshman in college, and I would like to ask a few questions about ownership from a few other members in hopes of pointing me towards the right choice.

1. Is a 350z a possible (not wise, because sports cars for college? ) car for a student who has about $200/month for the 350z?

2. How is the maintenance on these cars? My Miata is pretty simple and inexpensive to maintain. I understand that the 350z is a luxury car and will be more expensive, but I'm hoping that the Nissan logo on the car means that it will last me a good while.

3. Cars I'm looking at around my area for my budget of $5000 have about 130-150k miles. Are these cars known to last?

4. Are these cars relatively easy to work on?

That's all of the questions I can think of right now. Any thoughts I would appreciate. Thanks all!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:59 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If you are looking at a $5K Z, I'd plan on ~$2k+ for likely-needed maintenance issues.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:11 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You can do it...what generation of miata do you own? I've toyed with a NA and a NC miatas and if you can handle any and all of those and dont mind a challenge then pull the trigger on a DE 350z...especially if you can already drive a RWD in winter/rainy conditions...

How old are you?

I roll a 2007 NC and it's fun bc I have a DE 350z with (at the time) 450whp(hoping to see 600+ on my current build)...I can appreciate a 150whp/2500lbs roadster corning like it's hopped up on meth...but I'm also two decades out of school...

buy the car with cash either/anyway...please don't finance a 10year old car...

maintenance is fine as long as you dont abuse it...it's just as simple as a miata just two clicks up...nothing that you can't learn with a few hours of internet research and a haynes manual

it's no luxury car...
Name:  B358403D-354C-4FC7-AD5A-06D322DCFB8D_zps4i0piekm.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  205.3 KB

Last edited by bealljk; 02-07-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:15 PM
black93supra

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing to add.. the insurance on a car like this could be expensive for a young driver. Just something to look into.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Its honestly not a good choice for you with that much cash.
This car goes though tires. And you cant buy cheap tires. Especially if it's your DD and it rains in your area. you should be running something like potenza 970AS pole positions if its your daily. Go ahead and look up the price. With 5k you are getting an older car that may or may not have tire feathering issues. You just wont know.

You cant put 87 octane in this car. So gas will be a lot more expensive as you are paying more per gallon, and going though it twice as fast, if not faster than a miata.
You "should" be using a full synth like amsoil or at the very least mobil 1. and depending on the year and how trashed the motor is you might be changing it every 3-5k.

Things that went wrong with my car (2006 350z just hit 110k)
------------
Door handles broke, one for each side ($160)
The radio stopped reading CDs last year (got a new pioneer)
1 out of 2 valve covers leaking in to spark plug wells ($380 for both sides and seals)
Passenger side window motor ($100)
Various tabs and clips getting brittle and breaking (Can be as expensive as $5 each)
1 out of 4 camshaft position sensors needed replaced (I had a friend with spare but this can be $80, only 06+ have 4 though the rest only have 2)
Clutch needed to be replaced about 10k miles ago ($600 with flywheel)

My car has been light on maintenance and there are a few very common issues I haven't had yet. None of this includes labor. The motor its self is reliable. but after 120k I would be worried about timing chain guides, water pump, thermostat, valve covers. If you did jump in you are going to want to make sure that has all been done already.
I also change my oil ever 3-4k with amsoil signature and all fluids changed every 40ish K.

Side note the 03-05 Trannys love to have syncro issues. Make sure you really check it before you buy a car.

Last edited by NiLL; 02-08-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:21 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

you will use that 200 a month on gas
Old 02-08-2016, 04:44 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

200 a month is barely enough for gas. Let alone maintenance and savings for emergency...
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32 AM
zacav8r

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be spending most of that 200 on insurance per month for full coverage if not all of it depending on your driving record. I am a college student and have a 04 z with 95k (bought with 70k) and I spend 100 a month for full coverage but have a perfect record. Fuel runs me about 130 a month and is my DD. Maintenance in the last 2 years has run me $4500 but half of that was things I had to replace the week I got my car, dampers and tires were the big ticket items. In your case, it seems it not to be wise to buy a high mileage Z at this point in time, but definitely get one farther down the road.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Stephen Freeman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend this switch while you're in college.

I'm in college with a Z but I would not say that my situation is typical.

A couple of my friends have made similar switches to what you're suggesting and have ended up regretting it for the reasons others have mentioned. With a $5,000 budget you're going to be looking at a 350 that most likely needs a couple thousand dollars more in maintenance as soon as you buy it. Your monthly budget of $200 will be used almost entirely on gas even if you're just driving a few miles a day, leaving you in a bad spot if anything goes wrong and you need to make a major repair.

Wait a couple years, save your money and buy a well kept, low mileage one when you finish school.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Full insurance coverage not needed on a 5k car.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Fridge Gnome

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's your freshman year, I assume you'll be living on campus. In that case I doubt you'll use more than a tank or 2 of gas your whole semester. Unless it's to drive home.

I can't say as far as repairs, I had my Z freshman year and never had anything go wrong, but it's an 08.

Obviously it's not a practical college car, I pay $60ish in gas every time I go home (7hrs). Most of the time you go off campus it will be with friends, in which case the Z is useless because you can only take 1. If it snows like it does here, the Z is just awful. Plus, it's college and everyone hates on kids with nice cars (even if it isn't really). I've found more than a few dust dicks drawn on mine, and that's parked on the fourth floor of the most remote garage on campus. If you have to park on the street it might be worse.

But all in all, if that $200 isn't needed for anything else (food), then I'd say it's plenty, assuming murphy's law doesn't get involved.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 AM
onebentvalve

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, I am assuming that your miata is either an NA or NB, because your looking at spending 5k on a z. I would recommend that you keep your miata and consider putting a turbocharger on it if you desire more power, at least until your budget is greater than 5k. My brother boosted his NA for less than 2.5k with an MS3.

As stated before the Z isn't necessarily a cheap car on gas, tires or insurance. Its not extremely complicated but you are dealing with two banks of cylinders instead of one, as well as more electronics. I bought my 03 with 99k on the clock and have had plenty of problems, including a bent valve (my fault). I have spent plenty on a new fuel pump, coilpacks and the like ever sense ownership.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

And if nobody has mentioned it yet its a real ***** to work on... Its seriously like everything is possessed and more difficult to work on then any other car I have ever worked on...

Then again it could just be me getting old and weak.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

OP, I'm curious why you want to ditch the Miata and get a Z?

Miata's offer a great driving experience and are generally cheaper to maintain.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:46 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
And if nobody has mentioned it yet its a real ***** to work on... Its seriously like everything is possessed and more difficult to work on then any other car I have ever worked on...

Then again it could just be me getting old and weak.
I'd say the opposite, but I've owned a lot of English, Italian, and German cars. The Z has been a pleasure to maintain/modify.

And I'm sure I'm a lot older than you.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM
13esim

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Current college student here, I owned a 300ZX TT and sold it for a 350Z. I got the 350Z because it was easier to maintain, pay for parts etc. overall cost was better. I spend about $70-$80 a month on gas and drive around 500 miles on average (if im not going to SCCA events or road tripping.) So lets organize our costs:

Gas: Like I said $70-$80 a month, I'm driving 500 miles a month, 91 octane at Chevron is on average $2.39 a gallon. That brings up another factor, you have to put in 91, If memory serves me well, the Miata will take carb cleaner and run just fine, or 87 whatever. The Miata (as you know) is cheap to fill up and last awhile.

Maintenance: Parts are cheap and abundant for the Miata, I mean the Kia Sephia has the same motor. You can lose a timing belt and the motor won't take any damage. It's really hard to screw something up and if you do it is cheap. I helped my friend put an engine in his Miata, he found one for $400.
The 350Z has a lot more technology, which some consider means a lot more things to break. Although, the VQ35DE is found in a lot of other Nissans meaning parts are easily available also. Coming from a 300ZX, this is WAAAY easier to work on. Compared to the Miata, they both have their gripes; like trying to get the damn oil filter in miata requires you to have the arms of a toddler to fit in there. 350Z wins when it comes to changing the oil but on the other end of the spectrum changing a valve cover gasket on a Miata is a breeze compared to the 350Z (I'm just giving examples as I go).
A good thing to do is go online to an auto parts website i.e. O'reilly Auto Parts, and look parts for a miata, then a 350Z and compare costs. For example, look up belts, valve cover gaskets and spark plugs for each car and compare. Also, I feel the 350Z is like the 300ZX when it comes to some parts and is really picky (Like spark plugs, the OEM part number was the only used with success) so factor that in to your pricing.

Insurance: From what I understand from my friends, full coverage is quite cheap being around $60-$80 a month. Full coverage for me is $125 a month with Geico. Start getting quotes to see where you're at.

Tires: This is a such a pro for the miata, look up high performance tires for 15" (i.e. Bridgestone RE71) and look up the same tire for an 18" wheel. The price increase is monumental. Just another thing to factor into ownership. You will have to change tires eventually.

Now considering your price range you are going for a early year 03-05 model. A major problem with these is the "3rd gear grind" Essentially... third gear grinds. I test drove an 03 with 90k miles and it was horrid, the car was in excellent condition also and the motor felt healthy but no matter what I did, rev matched it, tranny was cold, tranny was hot, double clutched, granny shifted, shifted clutchless, it would grind regardless; quite annoying. Essentially you have 3 options: deal with it, rebuild it, or find a transmission from "Revup" model.

So consider your costs with your budget of $200. Is that purely for cars or is that used for other stuff also. Don't put yourself in a position where you are scraping for money every month, it is not worth it. Best of luck to you!