Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

The Hunt For MSRP ( a very long rant)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 05:29 PM
imntcrzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Hunt For MSRP ( a very long rant)

The Hunt For MSRP

Sometime around December of 1999 my interest with the new Z has just started. Fast forward to present day, that interest has turned into a mad obsession.

I have been a Nissan fanatic since the days of my 1989 Nissan Sentra, 1.6 liters and a 16 year old’s hormones terrorizing the streets of Orange County. My good ol’ Sentra provided hours of fun, a few points on my license and many memories.

My Sentra was eventually retired and traded up for a 1995 Nissan 240sx and eventually another 91 300zx. Thus starting my obsession with driving to the limit and sometimes beyond the limit. The first time I unintentionally drove sideways around a corner scared the hell out of me. Now common sense would tell me to slow down. So of course I tried it again.

What started out as innocent fun has turned into an obsession? Now as you can probably tell I am a big fan of Nissan. My obsession with Nissan eventually came to focus on one thing, the 350Z. I researched every facet of the 350. I have now downloaded over 500 megs of various 350 stuff, I surf the web for my daily fix of Z information and rumors. One thing I neglected to do was pre-order the car. I thought this would be smart because I was on a budget and wanted to make sure I wanted the car.

The Hunt Begins…..

Well of course I wanted the car. I wanted it since the first rumor was leaked out to the net and I have wanted it ever since. So I go to pre-order the 350 or try to find one at MSRP, after all Nissan has a policy of frowning on price gouging. So I should get one at MSRP eventually… right?

I drop by Garden Grove Nissan and look what I find in my sights…. A Silverstone Touring. Upon close inspection I notice that they have added an $8000 tire and wheel package in addition to a $2000 markup. No they won’t budge on the price.

Nissan Long Beach $4000 mark up.

Universal City Nissan was my next stop. After all they are the largest Nissan dealer in Southern California and they claim to have sold 2% of all the 350’s in the World. I get a call to come down and low and behold upstairs I see 6 350’s waiting to be taken home. So go to talk numbers and much to my dismay I can’t take my baby home without paying an extra $17,000 for a track model! $49000 for a 350.

On the good side there are dealers out in California that are not trying to take advantage of people’s dreams.

Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa has a strict policy of charging MSRP and so does Lou Webb Nissan of Irvine. I guess I wait rather than let those vultures make an extra dime.

Sorry for the long post…. Just had to vent
Old 09-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Michael-Dallas

Look in other states.

I found mine in IN of all places. Granted I didn't pay MSRP, I also didn't pay that much over MSRP.

Michael.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:42 PM
LA-Z

Call Cerritos Nissan, talk to Kathy Lira, tell her Josh Otten rec'd you, you might have to get on a LONG list, but I got mine for under MSRP, (I belong to Z Club.) But as far as getting one ASAP for MSRP, that will be tough right now, as all the cars in are Pre-Orders, wait 90 more days, regular deilverys will began.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:49 PM
BigPimp

I am sure you can wait some more if you waited this long. They are making over 30,000 Zs a year. Soon enough, the streets will be buzzing with Zs. So if you are willing to wait just a bit, the price will come down very soon.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:49 PM
jfive

Default msrp

what dealer in indiana
Old 09-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Michael-Dallas

D. Patrick Nissan in Evansville. Mine was a pre-order cancellation, but I believe they will be getting a couple of non-pre-order (not sure which models) in the Dec timeframe (or sooner). Call'em, ask for Stephen Schweikarth.

Michael.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:02 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I am sorry you are having such a hard time but being interested since 1999 you should have preordered early this year and your onssesion would be satisfied.

But that is the past, try an autonation dealer Autonation , I assummed you were in Long Beach from your LBC location, if not change zip, also see this link where Autonation advertises that you can get into the Z at MSRP

Last edited by westpak; 09-26-2002 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:02 PM
jfive

Default msrp

thank you i know of one other dealer charging msrp. i was thinking of waiting till march. indiana winters suck. i was torn between ording now or waiting to see if they have a few in stock by then. what do you guys think.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:03 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

see bluefish who post on this forum his ny dealership sells for msrp and he ships it too he actully sold to several out of state people over the internet