Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Need advice... buying from a distance

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 PM
OrangeZYa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice... buying from a distance

First of all, great forum. I've been lurking for awhile (maybe a year off and on) researching the Z. I'd originally planned to buy last March but held off awhile and now it's finally time.

2005's are still pretty tough to come by on the east coast (I'm in VA) so I've been doing some searching trying to locate what I want. I was about to give up and just get a 2004 for a good price but today I lucked into finding a 2005 at a dealer with the exact options that I'd order if I were to do so. I've been dealing with dealer BS for the past week and it looks like it might pay off.

Anyway, the dealer is a pretty good drive away, so I'm trying to get everything squared away beforehand. So far, I've negotiated the price with them and they've told me that they'll hold the car on a $500 deposit with a credit card.

I'm planning on making them fax a contract tomorrow morning with the agreed-to price and then signing and reserving the car with a credit card before making the trip, and I've already got financing taken care of. I'm going to sell my old car privately, so that's also not an issue.

My question is, for those who have done something similar to this before (I remember reading about some people flying to the location and then driving the Z back, but couldn't find it with forum search), am I missing anything that could cause hiccups when I pick up my Z? Dealers' reputations for BS is in some cases well-earned, and I don't want to drive all the way up there and have them give me the runaround. Any advice here on making this go smoothly would be appreciated--if all goes well, I should be picking it up on Friday.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the sales manager to confirm price & finance terms. If your taking a check be sure you know what kind of check they will accept. Tell them you want them to fax you every piece of paper they expect you to sign. Read the papers before you leave home.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Hazade

I bought mine from a dealer about 5 hours away. I was on the phone with the sales rep about 10 times over 2 weeks before I finally made the trip to pick it up. I just layed down my situation and what I wanted and we came to an agreement. It sounds like you're way a head of the game there if you have the down payment and are getting the contract faxed to you. good luck
Old 10-13-2004, 06:26 PM
OrangeZYa

Thanks for the help guys.

I've gotten all of the paperwork taken care of via fax and all I have to do is go up there with the check and pick her up on Friday Made sure to have dealer write in the purchase agreement that the car was being held for purchase.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it--Can't wait!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Boiler

Obvious maybe, but just in case:

Drivers License
Insurance
SSN
Copies of all your correspondance.

Good luck
Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Zcool

I bought my Z from a dealer in CA while I was still in Barcelona, Spain. I dealt with the internet sales mgr. and everything worked out fine. I wanted the car ready for when I got off the plane and went directly to the dealer. The car was exactly as I ordered and ready to drive off with 7 mi on the odometer,

To top it all off, that was the first time I had seen a live Z so I hadn't even test drove one before I bought it. i did that all on trust and the research I had done via the internet.

Good luck with your "sight unseen purchase."
Old 10-13-2004, 09:18 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slick story, Zcool.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Only way it could have been better Zcool is if they had the car on the tarmac waiting for you
Old 10-14-2004, 12:46 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my SB ZR over the internet in May...The salesman faxed me the vehicle information sheet which shows and explains everything pertaining to the Z. Vin# - Ordered date - production date - wholesale date - ETA date - Invoice price - MSRP - Full description of the vehicle. He picked me up at the airport and I drove home several hours later. Best part was the price I paid! What a ride home!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:00 PM
nang3

Originally posted by Poison123
Only way it could have been better Zcool is if they had the car on the tarmac waiting for you
with a supermodel sittin shotgun waiting with a coupla cold lagers... aww yeh