Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info
View Poll Results: VOTE: Is the Z priced correctly?
The Z is way over-priced, considering the problems that I've seen/heard about.
4.28%
The Z is slightly over-priced, but is still a good deal.
18.09%
The Z is priced about right. I feel I'm getting a good car and a good deal.
37.55%
The Z is slightly under-priced. It's a great car for the money!
28.21%
The Z is way under-priced. I can't believe they are selling it so low, but I'm glad!
9.73%
No opinion (isn't that always an option?)
2.14%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Vote: Is the Z priced correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 05:08 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Z is a GREAT value in the lower priced models, Base, Enthusiast and maybe Performance. The problem with the track and touring is not that you don't get enough more for your money, is that when you get into the mid 30s, there are a lot of other cars to consider. Below $30K though, the Z has NO competition.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:01 PM
JAG

For what you get, I think it is priced great. Exceptional performance too for the price range.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by z461
I believe the car is slightly underpriced however... It's well below the cost of the Z32TT, however, it could use a raise in price to about 30 thousand for base models and 36 for the touring/track... They then could've used that money for a slightly better tuned engine, a nicer interior (less spartan...maybe leather on the doors), and a better paint job.
Yeah, owning a $37,251 MSRP most-expensive-you-can-price-out-a-Z model, heh, I have to admit I wish the base price was not so low. It was what initially attracted me to the car, but admittingly it bothers me a little that someone might think my car is a 27k car when it is really a 37k car. I know that sounds stuck up, I am just being honest. Part of getting all the bells and whistles I guess. Same could be said for a SL600 owner thinking about SL430's or whatever the V6 clunker is. At least they have the badging though.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:39 PM
labshark7

Originally posted by dfoley
Given the cost of a fully loaded G35 Coupe I think the Z is slightly overpriced.

The total cost with every option available is 37,465.

This includes 6 speed manual trans with Brembo brakes and better Michelin Pilot tires.

The sunroof is also a great feature.

Better warranty w/ 4 Yr sixty thousand bumper to bumper.

Better service.

Who gives a crap. I could care less if the G35 cost 25k, I wanted a Z, we all wanted a Z.

I paid 35k for my Z with Nav and Aero- Touring model. I would have purchased the car if it cost 40k, whats the big deal?

I find it very stupid of some of the people on this board to complain that the options cost an extra 3k here or an extra 2k there. Grow up and get a Geo Metro if you want value, ya punks, not everything in life is free.

Complaining about an extra 2k when you are spending 30k is just plain stupid!

This isnt a charity board, I dont feel pity for you, this is a Z board, and for some of us, we are willing to pay for options like VDC and TCS.

Some of you non-Z owners have some fantasy, that there is no value in paying for a feature you cant see, such as side impact airbags or VDC, well I cant see the insulation in my house, but I sure as hell paid for it.

Some of us care about such things as Navigation and Power Seats, so take your G35 and drive it straight to the retirement home, grandpa. Im sure no one will notice your excuse for a Z when I drive up.

Eric
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 PM
labshark7

Originally posted by Rob Nance
Yeah, owning a $37,251 MSRP most-expensive-you-can-price-out-a-Z model, heh, I have to admit I wish the base price was not so low. It was what initially attracted me to the car, but admittingly it bothers me a little that someone might think my car is a 27k car when it is really a 37k car. I know that sounds stuck up, I am just being honest. Part of getting all the bells and whistles I guess. Same could be said for a SL600 owner thinking about SL430's or whatever the V6 clunker is. At least they have the badging though.
so true,

Its fine to be stuck up, dont feel bad. Everyone would buy a loaded Z, if they could. Those that say they wouldnt cant be trusted and should be sent to North Korea, the damn traitors.

Okay, well some buy a Base Z to modify, which is cool, but those that buy a Base or enthusacrap, and then say us Touring and Track buyers are stupid, can all rot in a Hyundai Hell.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love my 37,000 MSRP Z,
Eric

Last edited by labshark7; 04-24-2003 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:25 PM
catchingzzzz's

Great price for the car. I was actually lucky enough to find a dealership that gave me $1250 off of MSRP on a base model.

Time for mods now.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Welsh 350Z N

The 350Z is definitely under priced and the best car on the road today for the money. However, that is not necessarily a good thing. I think Nissan could have priced it a LITTLE higher and spent a bit more in a few areas. Just as one example - my Track should have leather as standard for $35K. However, I am blown away every time I drive it by how fantastic this car is for the price. In other threads I have discussed the fact that even if the Z06 or Boxter S were as cheap - I still wouldn’t choose one over my Z.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:44 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Overall the Z is priced about right in my book. But I would agree with others that the base and enthusiest models are underpriced and a good deal for the peformance you get.

I would also agree that the Z track and touring is overpriced compared to the G35c. For a car that shares most of the same components I find it hard to believe that for the same $34k as the track you get leather and brembo's on the G35c (plus the better warranty.) Bummer.

And chill if you think that because I say the G35c is a better deal that I should go away. Fact it is a better deal feature wise. But we all buy our cars for more than that, I bought my Z for its feel and looks, also because I didn't want no stinkin back seats (plus the interior of the G35c fails at what it was designed to be, luxury but sucks compared to say an Audi interior.)
Old 04-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
Overall the Z is priced about right in my book. But I would agree with others that the base and enthusiest models are underpriced and a good deal for the peformance you get.

I would also agree that the Z track and touring is overpriced compared to the G35c. For a car that shares most of the same components I find it hard to believe that for the same $34k as the track you get leather and brembo's on the G35c (plus the better warranty.) Bummer.

And chill if you think that because I say the G35c is a better deal that I should go away. Fact it is a better deal feature wise. But we all buy our cars for more than that, I bought my Z for its feel and looks, also because I didn't want no stinkin back seats (plus the interior of the G35c fails at what it was designed to be, luxury but sucks compared to say an Audi interior.)
Yeah, it is very weird, I agree. I could have gotten a fully loaded G35c for less than my touring fully loaded. You know the resale is going to be much better on the Infiniti (if I was worried about that) and you do get more. Not quite sure how the Infiniti with more costs less than their "lower end" brand.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:10 PM
ainfante19
Banned

Originally posted by Welsh 350Z N
The 350Z is definitely under priced and the best car on the road today for the money. However, that is not necessarily a good thing. I think Nissan could have priced it a LITTLE higher and spent a bit more in a few areas. Just as one example - my Track should have leather as standard for $35K. However, I am blown away every time I drive it by how fantastic this car is for the price. In other threads I have discussed the fact that even if the Z06 or Boxter S were as cheap - I still wouldn’t choose one over my Z.
im definitely confused on the last two sentences
Old 04-27-2003, 03:40 PM
labshark7

Yeah, it is very weird, I agree. I could have gotten a fully loaded G35c for less than my touring fully loaded. You know the resale is going to be much better on the Infiniti (if I was worried about that) and you do get more. Not quite sure how the Infiniti with more costs less than their "lower end" brand.
Historically resale value on Infiniti products is 70-80% worse than it is for the 350z.

Go to www.kellybluebook.com and see for your self, dont take my word for it.

Used Infiniti's are worthless, used 300zx- you would be lucky to find a good example for under $15,000.00
Old 04-28-2003, 05:48 AM
Welsh 350Z N

Originally posted by ainfante19
im definitely confused on the last two sentences
I'm confused as to why you are confused ?
Old 05-02-2003, 01:05 PM
cotmfk

Originally posted by labshark7
Historically resale value on Infiniti products is 70-80% worse than it is for the 350z.

Go to www.kellybluebook.com and see for your self, dont take my word for it.

Used Infiniti's are worthless, used 300zx- you would be lucky to find a good example for under $15,000.00
Values for the same car can be different around the US. Here, a TT 300ZX will go for $8k in great shape. The current Infinit's will hold their value better. Infiniti has done a great makeover and image update. It will help with the resale values of their cars.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:42 AM
z461

That's the exact same thing I was thinking... It's sad knowing my 37 thousand dollar Z is pretty much the same as every other person's 27 thousand dollar Z. The price difference between models is quite absurd really.. Now I almost wish I had gotten the 330CI I had ordered, because for 41 thousand I could've gotten a much more solid car that was built with much better materials..
Old 06-06-2003, 11:03 PM
evo

I do agree with that the lower end models (base, enthusiast) is best priced out since there is really no other cars that give you so much for the price. However, once you get into the 35k and up range, there are so many other opitions. besides, i also agree about the whole people on the street thinking the 37k track is a 27k car. and i totally understands that feeling. anyways, im going for a base or enthusiast just because one i dont have the money, and two im going for modding. for the people getting the track or touring though... all the upgraded parts are under warranty is a great point. and i would def. buy one of those two models if i got the money.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:14 PM
toykilla

Originally posted by stemenc
I think there are two parts to judging the pricing of this car.

1.) The performance category (how does it stack up compared to others in its class)?

In this case, I would say the car is most likely underpriced. This would be considering the base model, which is on par with all other trims in terms of general performance figures. Considering the competition, the car should cost maybe $10 to $20 K more.

2.) The conspicuous consumption factor.

Since this car is not a product that is considered to be a necessary item that everyone needs to own in order to live in our society, there is a degree of materialism involved, which has an accepted cost associated with it. You pay more for certain name brands over others. This is a Nissan product, and is priced accordingly. If it had a Porsche symbol on it, the price would be reflective of what Porsches typically sell for, and so on. In other words, the price is correct for a Nissan product (you wouldn't pay $60,000 because they don't make vehicles typically in the price/quality category). Nissan does, however, produce a number of vehicles in the $20-$30K range. Part of the reason for the decline of the Z32 was it was overpriced for the name. Why pay $30-$40K for a Nissan, when you could get a "higher quality" vehicle for the same price or slightly more. It was unfortunate for the Z32 to suffer such trendy economics considering how great the vehicle was. Those who bought them were buying into quality rather than just into a name (in my opinion).
i would pay 60k for a NISSAN r34 gtr
Old 06-07-2003, 12:33 PM
PimpShiFus

Originally posted by catchingzzzz's
Great price for the car. I was actually lucky enough to find a dealership that gave me $1250 off of MSRP on a base model.

Time for mods now.
how did that happen?? was it a demo? did u do a lot of negotiating? or was that just his advertise price? can he do more deals like that?
Old 07-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Buub

38K for a Z? Where are you buying it?

I paid 37K for my 6-speed Touring with EVERY option checked off, INCLUDING the nav system. That's 35K without nav on the most expensive non-track model.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Sanderman

The new Z should have stickered for $7,000 to $10,000 more and come with a superior suspension, wider wheels and rubber, better interior materials (soft plastic on the dash and console, and real brushed metal trim instead of silver painted) and exterior looks closer to the Nismo kit. Then they should have offered a FI engine as a $5k upgrade.

Frankly the stock Zs look too tall and unfinished to me. The push to keep the price down lead to too many compromises IMO.

joe
Old 07-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Buub

If the Z had been stickered that much higher I would have just gotten the M3, which was my first choice. As it is I think the Z is a great value.