Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I got a question about polishing Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:39 PM
infidsg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a question about polishing Aluminum

Ok this isnt a direct question about 350z or G35 but I figured I realy needed the help..

Ok I started a lil project today.. I started out tring to get the anodizing off the aluminum with Easy Off.. Ha Ha that was anything but easy. It took a long time to break down the anodizing.. Hours... Anyways I cleaned the surface then started sanding with 320 grit paper.. After I was complete with that I moved on to 400 Grit paper.. I then used steel wool (the finnest you can get) that realy smoothed out the surface. Then I moved on to using red Tripoli which realy started making the metal shine. The last step I got to two today was White Rouge. That shinned it up even better.. But you can still see a lot of fine scratchs all over. It basicly looks like shinny stainless steel. Next I planned on using Mothers Billit Polish. But I have some questions and concerns..

1) When I used the Rouge and Tripoli I used a drill that spinned at 750RPMs does it have to be faster? I tried finding something that spinns faster but my polishing attachments didnt fit. They were that small dremal size. Any products out there I could use?

2) Or will the Mothers polish bring it all together?

Im tring to get a mirror shine and any help would be great! Please let me know if I did anything wrong or could tell me something better to use to make it better or easier!

Thanx alot guys!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:12 AM
GATORZ

Default Polishing info

Go here they tell you what to buy and how to polish. I did the lip on my track rays with this. Hope it helps.

http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=430
Old 12-23-2004, 05:39 PM
g350TT

Default Re: I got a question about polishing Aluminum

Originally posted by infidsg35
Ok this isnt a direct question about 350z or G35 but I figured I realy needed the help..

Ok I started a lil project today.. I started out tring to get the anodizing off the aluminum with Easy Off.. Ha Ha that was anything but easy. It took a long time to break down the anodizing.. Hours... Anyways I cleaned the surface then started sanding with 320 grit paper.. After I was complete with that I moved on to 400 Grit paper.. I then used steel wool (the finnest you can get) that realy smoothed out the surface. Then I moved on to using red Tripoli which realy started making the metal shine. The last step I got to two today was White Rouge. That shinned it up even better.. But you can still see a lot of fine scratchs all over. It basicly looks like shinny stainless steel. Next I planned on using Mothers Billit Polish. But I have some questions and concerns..

1) When I used the Rouge and Tripoli I used a drill that spinned at 750RPMs does it have to be faster? I tried finding something that spinns faster but my polishing attachments didnt fit. They were that small dremal size. Any products out there I could use?

2) Or will the Mothers polish bring it all together?

Im tring to get a mirror shine and any help would be great! Please let me know if I did anything wrong or could tell me something better to use to make it better or easier!

Thanx alot guys!
try blue magic at the end, works pretty good

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../bluemagic.php