Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 12:09 PM
Kevin V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bhobson333 is correct.

I've been using Zaino for about 5 years after trying dozens of products for over 30 years. I was very skeptical at first but it has proved itself many times to me since using it. I found that people who have never tried Zaino, and can't correctly spell it, do not actually know anything about Zaino but do like to fault it at every turn, even though they have no actual experience with it. The Dawn is used to remove "wax" before starting to use Zaino. The only time I used Dawn after having coats of Zaino on the car was when it had alot of jet fuel droplets on it from a local airport were a plane dropped excess fuel WAY to low. The Dawn easily removed any spots from the jet fuel but it did NOT remove the Zaino, nor did the fuel do anything to the Zaino finish. Dawn probably would not remove any synthetic such as Blackfire as well. Dawn will remove the oils, silicons and carnauba from the surface due to its high alkaline content. A light claying will not remove any appreciable amount of Zaino, if any. A "hard" claying will likely remove most of the Zaino on the car, especially if it only has a couple of coats on it. Zaino car polish does NOT have any abrasives in it and eack layer added to the previous layers will increase the thickness of the Zaino on the car. Since Zaino car polish does NOT have any "cleaners" or abrasives in it it is NOT harsh to the paint in any way. If Blackfire, which I have not tried yet, has NO cleaners or abrasives or silicones in it, it would not be harsh to the paint either. Time and the elements will take its toll on Zaino and any other product and even your paint if it is unprotected. Zaino is about 99% optically clear, while wax is about 70%, so Zaino will give you the best original color clarity of your car and a great shine, a wax dulls the color clarity but still provides a shine, of course even Pledge furniture polish will provide a nice shine. I don't know what all is in Blackfire or how optically clear it is so I don't know how it stacks up to Zaino. I do know that in the product testing book from Guru Reports http://www.gurureports.org/ that Zaino came in first overall and in the synthetic products comparison. Unfortunately you have to buy their book to find out for yourself.

The BEST way to find out for yourself which product you like best is to try them. I tried dozens of products and Zaino hands down has beat all the rest. I'll probably try Blackfire on one of my cars and see how I like it and how it compares to Zaino.

If you try to contact Sal Zaino you may not get an immediate response, he takes hundreds of phone calls and e-mails every day. But why not try to contact the president of Turtle Wax, Mequiars, Mothers, etc. and see how far you get.

And in case you are wondering I am NOT a Zaino distributor, nor do I work for Zaino. I'm just a customer who believes in the product after comparing it to dozens of others over the years. It had to prove itself to me and has done so many times, which is why I continue to use it.

The question about applying Zaino in cold weather, you can apply Zaino even with temps in the 30's. Yes the colder temps require longer drying and curing times. As long as the Zaino has dryed (hazed) completely you can buff it off. The time from buffing it off to applying the next coat should be 24 hours below 70 degrees to allow the coat of polish to cure before adding the next. With the ZFX additive, drying time is considerably reduced and has zero curing time. Applying up to 3 coats per day in a heated garage with using the ZFX is not a problem. Anyone who wants to apply 3 coats per day with temps in the 30's, please come do mine.

Last edited by Kevin V; 12-06-2002 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Kevin V

I checked with a buddy of mine about the Guru Report, he confirmed Zaino did come in 1st overall and in the synthetic. He said Blackfire came in 11th overall.

I've called Sal several times for help over the 5 years, mostly when I was getting started with Zaino and he was always very helpful. He even called me when I left a message and a phone #. When I've e-mailed him he usually responds with "call me". A few years ago he even called me on a Friday night when there was a question on my order.

If you call Zaino, leave a message and a phone #. If you e-mail him, put in a phone #. I've never known anyone to say that Sal never got back with them via e-mail or phone.

Last edited by Kevin V; 12-06-2002 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:15 PM
94 TA GT

An response yet? I would love to keep all my coats on my car.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:33 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

I think Steve and others at the guru report are a bunch of wax ****'S. I think he is just trying to get a name for himself and has not tried anything else other than Zanio, which is fine. I've talk to Steve on a number of occasion via email. I think whoever throughs the most money or free products at him gets his vote.