Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Toby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO

Okay Detailing Nuts:

For those of you with experience using these products, what is your opinion of advantages/disadantages of these two fine detailing products.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Toby

C'mon guys.....lets hear some feedback.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:49 AM
Brad4rdHay

Blackfire
Pro: Deeper, warmer shine (really noticable on red and black)
Slightly easier application
Instant cure w/o need for addative (ZFX)

Con: Not quite as durable

Zaino:
Pro: Easy application
Very bright shine
Quite durable

Con: Not instant cure (needs ZFX addative)
Shine not very deep/warm

Both are great...its up to you. Most probably wouldn't be able to tell a huge difference between the two, its all in the prep and polish, and the wax (or here, polymer sealant) which is merely icing on the cake. You cant put nice icing on a shitty cake and expect it to tase good.

Old 11-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Toby

Would either one of these products when applied to the front bumper & hood provide better protection against chips in the paint when applied in several layers or is this wishful thinking?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Brad4rdHay

Wishfull.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:45 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

I Blackfire very durable and still very slick after dozens of washes. It has almost been alittle over a month since I first tried Blackfire and it beads like crazy. I've done a couple of test with blackfire on my wrangler because it gets trashed a lot. Even mud was sliding off the hood and sides when I went wheeling this last weekend.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:04 AM
FlaPhil

I've bounced around with different waxes, and used the old Blackfire formula. When I read Blackfire had a new one, I gave it a shot.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!

Is is slicker than the old formula and really looks deaper and wetter.

Zaino looks like I put plastic wrap on the surface. It's is very reflective, but that's not what I'm looking for in a black car. On lighter colors, it probably does a good job.

I also like the single application with Blackfire. Having to apply a curing product doesn't do anything for me. In 2 or 3 coats of Blackfire, I've done everything I need to do to give it a GREAT shine and lots of protection.

Way to go BLACKFIRE!!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Brad4rdHay

FlaPhil, your description of the shine differences between the two is sopt on.

I have yet to try the new and improved formula BTW....I was one of the first to e-mail Terry (owner and head of properautocare.com), and he relayed my findings to their chemists, and they whent ahead and tweaked the formula a few months after I got it.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:50 PM
acey

Do either of these products protect against acid rain. I've been using Meguirar's Gold for several years with limited success. New black "Z" should be here in Feb. I want to protect it with the best products avaliable.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 06:18 AM
FlaPhil

Acey, nothing will stop acid rain from eating into products no matter what you see on TV if it has time to sit. What BlackFire and other products will do is provide protection to the paint from acid rain by adding a layer (or multiple layers depending on coats) of protection. What these products do is provide a slick surface so the water can't stand and puddle allowing the acid to eat through. This is why many people recommend car covers for those cars that don't move and are outside. Acid rain has the opportunity to sit there and do it's thing.

It's said that carnaubas absorb and disapate acid rain, so it gives greater protection for your paint if water does have time to sit.

Just keep a good coat of whatever wax you use on your car.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:11 PM
94 TA GT

On lighter colors, it probably does a good job.
Check sig
Old 11-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yo Phil, I gotch your plastic wrap right here:

Attached Thumbnails THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO-a-indian-summer-washing-004.jpg  
Old 11-18-2002, 03:37 PM
lentronic

yep looks like that new colored plastic wrap bones..
Old 11-18-2002, 03:46 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Just kidding man! Blackfire looks pretty good. It's just that when you get hooked on "the bottle" there's no turning back!
Attached Thumbnails THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO-zaino-back-2-copy.jpg  
Old 11-19-2002, 06:38 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Dr. Bonz

I bet if you call CMA for a free sample of Blackfire we can break you of that nasty habit!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Radian

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Yo Phil, I gotch your plastic wrap right here:

Dr Bonz,

How can you show that brickyard in a photo with such tender loving care and have such rusty brake rotors?!?!?!!

For cying out load man... Before your have your car pose for pictures, run it around the block a couple of times to strip the rust off the brake rotors....

so unprofessional Geez.....
Old 11-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Rust? What rust? That is special orange paint that matches the Brembro calipers!
Old 11-21-2002, 08:36 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Right... Kept telling yourself that! It looks like rust to me.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:17 PM
subterfuge

Sorry, can't help...I use Klasse. You can either spend a fraction of the time compared to applying Zaino (you only need 2 coats), which will give you the same shine, or put the equivalent amount of coats, plus 2 wax coats, in the same amount of time, giving you an even nicer shine. Otherwise, I've heard that blackfire is easier to use, but Zaino has a nicer shine. Both are kind of sterile, but putting wax on top would probably help with the depth of shine. Maybe the new blackfire formula is comparable to Zaino...
Old 11-27-2002, 06:11 AM
Radian

Thought I'd share my experiances with the group on this subject.

First my disclaimer: I have not personally used "Zaino" nor have I been able to see a car personally that has been "Zainod"

I purchased the "Blackfire new car kit" and used it on two cars this past weekend.

First I did my new Silverstone 350Z. It's application went very easily. My one learning point is: if in doubt, use less. This stuff goes a very long way. It is better to use just a little dab on the applicator pad and rub it around then to put to much and have to work three times as hard to spread it out. Also, it seems the results are much better when you apply small amounts as you can spread it easy and thin. Thus it can dry to a haze much quicker and therfore be buffed off easier.

I was very happy with the end results. Very nice shine and again it was rather easy to apply both the polish and the final paint protectant.

The second car done was my '94 Firehawk. This is a black car with 94k miles. The Car had been "clayed" the weekend before so all it needed was a wash and then the Blackfire. First, I'll say I was very pleased in how easily the polish removed several stuborn waterspots that had been on the car for a very long time. Then the paint protectant give the car an unbelivable shine.

I'm sure that the results are equal enough to Zaino that people could not tell the difference if two identical cars were side by side. I found the application very easy and the use of the chemicals small. You should get many uses out of one bottle.

I can not yet comment on longevity of shine but I'll give it a month and see how it looks after a couple of washes.

Summery: I'm very happy with this car wax/polish system and feel that anyone else would be too.

Quick Reply: THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO