Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Removing excess water

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 02:22 PM
flyzmd80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing excess water

Just finished washing my Z. I know it may sound obvious but you can get rid of that standing water that collects under the tail lights and the side view mirrors by taking a paper towel, hold it taut and slide it between the light and frame. It wicks the water right up!

Bob Z
Old 11-13-2002, 02:24 PM
SandMan

Ever try Q-tips? Just try and pull the water out instead of trying to absorb the water.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:47 PM
shagz

If you tilt the car up from each side the water just drains out.

No...jus kiddin'

I just dry it, then take it for a spin around the block. When I get back all the water has been blown out, and I clean it up with the quick detail spray...
Old 11-14-2002, 04:56 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Leaf blower!

Seriously, the Grand Prix people started doing that a couple of years ago because of our trunks holding water around the lip. I always thought they were crazy, and just wicked mine out with the corner of my chamois.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:34 AM
Pitlizard

Default holding water

I do the driving thing after washing, that gets most of the water. Still concerned about the trunk lid holding water. I lift the lip after washing to drain the water, but I am concerned when is rains and if water set up in there all day.

If you live on a dirt or dirty road, I could not suggest driving when wet.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Z71Chad

Second the leaf blower....
Works great, however your neighbors will think you are insane!
Old 11-18-2002, 06:37 PM
imntcrzy

yeah leaf blower works good.... I was thinking of using an air compressor too.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Bobby C 01TA

leaf blower for sure.. just run around the car and blow it off..its better than driving around getting it out and letting it dry up and get dirty.. a dam ant mound formed up INSIDE my leaf blower and I tapped it out and thought all was good.. i turned it on and it worked for 2 mins and blah.. it was toast.. oh well.. mowing season is pretty much over.. deals should be good
Old 11-19-2002, 08:28 PM
NowUZme

After reading the first part of your post, I thought for sure you were going to say you blew ants all over your car and it took you a week to get rid of all of them...
Old 11-22-2002, 02:26 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Originally posted by NowUZme
After reading the first part of your post, I thought for sure you were going to say you blew ants all over your car and it took you a week to get rid of all of them...
Hey that's not funny! My Z really did have ants all over it, the ones with wings, just the second night I owned it! It was totally bizzare.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:49 AM
Kevin V

I also use an electric leaf blower. Never use a gas leaf blower, you will be blowing a minute amount of oil onto the surface. I generally hose down the are well before I use it so there is no dirt or anything.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:59 PM
BillyV

Air compressor with an air gun works perfectly. Just wrap the tip of the air gun with electrical tape so in case you get alittle out of control and touch the paint you won't scratch it. It gets water out of every little nook and cranny imaginable. I just make sure to close the garage door so the neighbors can't see me, I'm sure they hear it though...
Old 11-24-2002, 03:31 PM
^Tyr

ya air guns are awesome for it, what we did at ziebart, of course we had a full time air compressor there...

how powerful of an aircompressor would you need for light use like impact wrench and air gun and such? and how much do they run for decent one?
Old 11-24-2002, 06:28 PM
BillyV

Tyr, I bought mine for projects around the house. It dawned on me on day to buy an air gun for it and use it like they they do at those higher end car washes.
I bought a Porter Cable Jetstream, it's a small pancake compressor. Can't remember if I bought it at Lowes, Home depot or Costco. It was one of the three. If I remember correctly,it was about $100 for the whole kit. Sears carries them as well. Alittle bit of looking and you can find a good deal. And the air gun was $5.44. I did find that receipt.
The small one I have works perfectly for my nail guns, which was it's main purpose. The car thing was just a bonus. I plan on having this Z for many, many years. It's a weekender for me so I thought I'd do everything I can to make sure water doesn't sit behind some panel and start rusting away something. Plus nothing works like the air gun to blow water out of the lug nut area, an area notorious for holding water only to spew it out the second you start to drive, thereby spotting the rims. That used to **** me off.No more.....
I'm an air gun fool and proud of it...