Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Using Porter Cable 7336

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:01 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using Porter Cable 7336

I just bought a Porter Cable 7336 from Lowes. I want to use it on my 4 cars (ranging from 1987-2004).

My question was basically what backing plates/pads should I use? And what polishes should I use in conjunction with each pad?

For pads/backing plate, I was deciding between these two:
Sonus DAS Pad Kit
and
Sonus SFX Foam Pad Kit
Which one of these two are better/what is the main difference?

As for the polishes, I was thinking either the Sonus SFX-1,2,3 or Menzerna Polishes. However, I don't know if I should go with the Sonus since I'm going with Sonus Pads, of if I should go with the Menzerna. If I DO go with Menzerna, I'm not sure which polishes to use with each of the pads (I know there are different levels of Menzerna like SFX 1, SFX 2, SFX 3...).

Anyways, in addition, since I use Zaino, I would like to use the new Z-PC as well, but don't know were I would use it. I would assume it would be after the last step of the Sonus or Menzerna, but I am unclear.

I would really appreciate any advice!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:18 PM
JamRWS6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
I just bought a Porter Cable 7336 from Lowes. I want to use it on my 4 cars (ranging from 1987-2004).

My question was basically what backing plates/pads should I use? And what polishes should I use in conjunction with each pad?

For pads/backing plate, I was deciding between these two:
Sonus DAS Pad Kit
and
Sonus SFX Foam Pad Kit
Which one of these two are better/what is the main difference?

As for the polishes, I was thinking either the Sonus SFX-1,2,3 or Menzerna Polishes. However, I don't know if I should go with the Sonus since I'm going with Sonus Pads, of if I should go with the Menzerna. If I DO go with Menzerna, I'm not sure which polishes to use with each of the pads (I know there are different levels of Menzerna like SFX 1, SFX 2, SFX 3...).

Anyways, in addition, since I use Zaino, I would like to use the new Z-PC as well, but don't know were I would use it. I would assume it would be after the last step of the Sonus or Menzerna, but I am unclear.

I would really appreciate any advice!
Returned your PM
Old 06-28-2005, 12:13 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JamRWS6 PM'd me a helpful response. I will post it here in case anyone else is interested

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I'd recommend to buy the Sonus DAS pad kit. It is what I am currently using. It comes with the correct backing plate for the DAS pads.

I would recommend the DAS pads over the SFX simply for the fact that the velcro backing is recessed on the DAS pads which means if the PC gets turned sideways you aren't going to burn into the paint with the velcro.

The DAS and SFX are just different pads....from what I have read the SFX pads are a little more aggressive. My guess is there isn't a very big difference.

I have no experience with the Sonus SFX polishes so I can't give you much info there. However the Menzerna polishes work GREAT with the PC and are my favorites...although they are a little pricey.

I would recommend the "twins" as you often see it called.....which is the Menzerna Intensive Polish and the Menzerna Final Polish II.
If you need a little more cutting power you can step up to the orange cutting pad in the DAS kit but I generally only use the Green Polishing pad with both polishes (I have 2 green pads as to not use 2 products on one pad). Menzernas heavier polish is called PowerGloss but is much stronger than you will probably ever need. It is a heavy cutting compound.

I just tried the Z-PC on a black Acura earlier tonight and was really not extremely impressed with it. I personally still like the Menzerna Final Polish II better as far as leaving a swirl free finish. Although you do have silverstone so I doubt this would be an issue and either of these polishes would work fine.

I'm also a big Zaino user. I would probably say just do a wipe down with a 50/50 solution of Water and Isopropyl Alcohol after polishing if you don't use the Z-PC as the final step. This should leave a great finish for the Zaino polishes.

I see you have found Autopia....feel free to read the tutorials on there.....they have a lot of good tips.

Also good towels really are key....I'm using the Sonus towel kit and am really happy with them.

If I missed a question or you have any more feel free to shoot me another PM.