Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Brake Dust/Rusted Metal Shavings on Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:22 AM
rawdeelux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake Dust/Rusted Metal Shavings on Paint

Sup guys. After a track day 2 weeks ago where i totally destroyed my front brake pads, I drove home on some worn pads because i was too lazy to swap them out at the track. The car was left outside and I when I went to wash it today I found a layer of brake dust/rusted metal shavings down the entire passenger side of the car. It's very coarse and i tried to gently get it off with a wash mitt and car wash but all it did was scratch up the clear coat. What can I do to get the brake dust/metal shavings off without scratching up the car? I'm thinking the whole passenger side might have to be completely wet sanded and buffed out. Anyone know how much that would cost? I appreciate any help. My car looks horrible.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Kevin Overall

Try a clay bar and be very gentle, if you have not used a clay bar before you might want to read up on it, clay bars are made to remove rail dust which is similar to your problem.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 PM
rawdeelux

Yeah, I've used the Mother's clay bar before. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Anyone else have any suggestions?