Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What every Z needs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 03:52 PM
NYCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What every Z needs!!!

My dealer applied a $200 treatment on my windsheild at no cost when I bought my Z. It is called diamond fusion and is buffed into the windshield with a special machine - it is like Rain X on steroids- three year warranty - you never have to touch it again.

When it rains, you hardly need to use the wipers

It fills in all the impurities of natural glass

protects it from chips and scratches

When there is ice on it, it easily wipes away because there is nothing for it to stick too.

I really recommend this to all of you out there - this products is awesome
Old 12-16-2002, 12:18 PM
FlaPhil

Souns Pretty Cool!!!! Never heard of it.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:22 PM
Smooth350

Nice!!
How did you get them to do it for free?? Why is there a 3 yr warranty?? Is it supposed to last like 3 years or longer??
Old 02-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Judge

Hey NYCZ, how is the diamon-fusion holding up?? Has anyone else had this done that can say how it has worked for them?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Judge,

Check his profile and you'll see that NYCZ's last post was 2 years ago. Chances are he's not around anymore.

This is the first time I've seen any mention of this product so it's probably not that widely used.

My guess is that it is one of those typical dealer scams like paint protection, fabric protection, undercoating, etc. Three years later, you probably can't find the company that applied it to back up the warranty when it no longer repels like it's supposed to.

Use RainX every couple of months and save a lot of money. A $5 bottle would last you the same three year period, even it you applied it monthly.

The apparent manufacturer can be found at...
http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products.html

Their FAQ seems to imply that each licensee of the product has their own warranty. IOW, I can go around applying the stuff and claiming any warranty I want. If I'm not around to back it up then I've successfully scammed you.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Judge

Yep. Probably correct.

I used this product when it was called VisionBlade and it worked really, really well. About every 8 months it needed to be reapplied but never really lost it's effect in that time period. I did some research and found it' new labeling and am going to go with this instead.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/aquapel/aquapel.jsp
Old 02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I've never seen anything that you could apply to the outside of a car that would last more than a couple months. Especially if it had rubber wipers rubing across it regularly.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Judge

Then you must try aquapel. Works like rain-x on its best day for about 4 months straight then fades slowly. Never goes all the way back to glass though

BTW, I just contacted diamon-fusion about their product and am going to discuss it further with a provider for tham. If it can last for over three to four years guaranteed I will give it strong consideration.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:54 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Let us know what they want to charge for it. I can't see paying $200 for something that just coats the windows.

A big problem that you'll probably see is scratching of the glass and water spots. After a couple of years, you'll find the glass needs to be polished again and that will probably take off the DF coating.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Judge

Well I just spoke with the rep. It isnt $200... it's $300. Plus a $50 warranty that will replace the windshield if broken. The true selling point of the product is the strengthening of the glass. It is a two part process that 1) fills on the surface micro irregularities. This strengthens the glass WELL above normal and is permanent. He said normal glass has 0.3lbs/in2 of resistance to impact before chipping can occur. With the process it goes to a little over 4lbs/in2. Then 2) a hydrophobic layer is applied. It does need maintenance applications with their supplied renewer about every 5 to 8 months depending on driving and garaging conditions. According to him the bead runoff angle of rain-x and aquapel is about 37 degrees. With diamon-fusion it's 113 degrees. How that is different than 23 degrees past 90 I dont know so I see it as about a 15 degree greater water runoff advantage. Not all that much really.
In the end, the advantage of my $300 spent is glass that looks new the life of the vehicle. Not water that blows off without any maintenance. Either way, he said if the windshield lost it's ability to repel water, Aquapel can be applied without concern because the first part of the application is permanent.
I'll have to think about it.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:54 PM
smitpsk

Default no brainer

i can think of sooooooooo many more ways to spend that money!

Old 03-08-2005, 06:11 AM
JokerDev

I know that windshields are designed to break from the inside on impact (eg if your head hits the windshield)..that's why you don't put tint on a windshield or your head will not fare too well in an accident. If this product strengthens the glass, won't this be a concern?
Old 03-20-2005, 05:00 PM
dannichols

Joker, I doubt tint or this product would prevent the human head from cracking the glass. I have heard that tint or clear bra type films aren't allowed on the front windshield because of the distortion they may cause to the driver's vision, potential liability or blame for accidents, and because of lobying by windshield manufacturers.