Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

road salt is hard to get off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 01:45 PM
noahbuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road salt is hard to get off.

We've got salt crystals growing out of the body panel joints.

I guess when we first had the snow here in D.C. we made it home before the snow, but not before the salting. Anyway, we washed the car and used a "power nozzle" to clean up the caked on salt... about 1/8 of an inch. Car looked great and we put the cover on and parked in the garage. Took it out for a spin today and I noticed that there where salt deposits all along the wheel wells. It looks as if the draining water pulled more salt out of some hidden recesses and as the water dripped and evaporated it left salt crystals.

I don't want to take the car to the car wash for an undercarriage cleaning and I don't want a rust bucket in 3 years. What a dilemma. Now I know why the old time Z owners out there don’t take their cars out in the snow or rain…
Old 12-16-2002, 05:06 PM
mikersoft

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I took her out yesterday to stretch her legs a bit, but it was the first time she's been out in two weeks...

-Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 08:17 AM
mydogscool

In the Northeast - Park it December through Feb. Do not drive the 350 in snow or chemical covered, or aggragate ( say sand blast) covered roads.

Lemans Sunset Track
Purchased 9-9
Salt Free
Sitting in garage
417 miles
Waiting for Spring
Old 12-19-2002, 06:19 AM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray washes do not really "clean" your car. I noticed this when I had my black 968. What I do is I take a bucket and my soap to the spray wash. I fill up my bucket with my soap and I just use their warm water while I go ahead and clean my car like I would on a summer day (only faster). Then I either dry it really quickly in the bay or outside the bay if it is above freezing. For a silver, car, the spray wash will make the car look ok, but you will still have a light film on the finish unless you wipe it with a soapy mit/cloth or wahtever.