Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I spilled milk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:54 AM
fireballtaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I spilled milk!!!

Well...through no fault of my own, almost an entire gallon of milk was spilled in the passenger seat of my Z and i didn't notice for about 10 minutes, giving it enough time to soak completely through my seat and into the carpet underneath. I was able to absorb most of the milk from the seat and carpet but took the floor mat and seat out of the car and put them in the bath tub and ran water through them until the water coming out was clear...I left my car seat out for a few days. The next day when i got in my car I got slapped in the face by rotten milk smell. So i picked up some carpet cleaner and sprayed a ton on it and scrubbed it real good, and now my car smells like a pet shop from all the ammonia in the carpet cleaner. I don't know which smell is worse...So I febreezed the car and it smelled awesome for about 10 minutes until the ammonia kicked the febreeze in the nuts and now its back to smelling like ammonia...Its been almost a week now and there is no sign of the odors dissipating, any ideas??? Oh and the A/C vents stink as well..sorry for the long post...Any help would be super!!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 AM
cessna

That sucks......

I've been using baking soda (5 boxes) spread out over every floor mat to try to get the skunk smell out of mine (Read my other post).
It's working out ok.... will need another week or so to get it out completly!!!
Good-luck!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:35 PM
sharingan625

i had similar experience except mine was vinegar. my god it was horrible.

anyways, i had to use wet vaccum with some liquid detergent. went over the areas (seat and the carpet) enough times and i was able to get most of it out. it still smelled little bit after but i guess the vinegar dried out and smell went away eventually.

but in your case, i don't think it will be the same, as milk will go bad.

try wet vaccum (strongest one you can find) and see how it works.

use lots of detergents. non-bleach kind.

good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
dmzx

Default There is a chemical....

There is a neutralizer on the market, several companies make it, that takes care of milk spills. Milk has bacteria that needs an enzyme neutralizer to break it down. I spilled some in the back of my SUV and needed a whole bottle of the stuff, but it worked. Its the only thing that will get the smell out. You can find it at pet stores, because its made for pet odors and milk. Trust me, the stuff works. Head for your nearest pet store before a sunny day, or you'll be in for a real treat!! Hope it helps, D
Old 10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
wayneside

happened to my gf's car...she came over to my work to tell me it was an emergency (to her at least). so i had to get as much of the milk out as possible. i ran hot water over the milk spilled area and vacuumed all of it a few times...then we let it dry...it smelled like crap! the next day we put baking soda on it and newspapers over that to mask the smell...after 2 months the smell was completely gone...

i feel for you!!! good luck...
Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 AM
fireballtaft

thanks everybody..i think ui'm gonna keep repeating the suggestions until something happens...because anything that is in my car for any amount of time comes out smelling like urine...i can't live like this..thanks again
Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 AM
southern_info

Take your car to a detail shop and explain what happen. I suggest getting your car's carpet shampoo and scrub. That should take care of your problem. Good Luck!