Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

touch up paint on rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 11:57 AM
joe350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default touch up paint on rock chips

I have two small rock chips on the hood, the car is redline and silver is showing through on the chips. I stopped by the dealer and he gave me some touch up paint to put on them...is there anything i should know, do, or not do? Should I apply clear coat touch up after it dries? the chips are very small..one of them has a scratch near it...best techniques? i also have a random orbital buffer I just bought to apply swirl remover and then i have the zaino line to protect it...any tips?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-07-2003, 06:44 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

I have two good sources for repairing rock chips. The down side is both of them are long and boring.

http://www.carcareonline.com/paint_chips.html

The other is from autopia and you have to purchase the ebook. You can find a link through CMA or go to Autopia direct.

The link to carcareonline is the best in my opinion. I did this procedure on my wrangler. I even tried putting clear nail polish as a clearcoat afterwards and it worked great. Just read carefully and you should be fine. Also the sand paper I used was from meguiar's and not the stuff that you can find at a local autozone. Feel free to ask question if you have problems.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:01 AM
joe350z

Thanks for the info, it sounds very thorough to me. How do I tell whether it left primer underneath or not? Like I said, I see silver showing where the red came off...is this metal or primer?

Thanks again!

Joe
Old 01-07-2003, 11:21 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Most likely it's primer. On CMA's website they have a paint chart. It is in their problem solving area. It shows the layers of Clearcoat, paint, primer on an average car. I called CMA yesterday to place an order and spoke to a rep about a new product that they will be offering next month called Menzerna. Their are four product as I understand it, but CMA are only releasing two of them.

One is intensive polish that removes 2000 grit swirls, contains no filler or silicones with little surface dulling. It is also a waterbased product so it's safe on all finishes.

The other is a final polish that restores surface gloss and prepares the surface for waxing. It as well is a water based product. May I saw KOOL or what! The rep also said that it has no bonding issues with Blackfire or Zanio products either. This will be a product to try.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by MY350isbtrthnurz
I have two good sources for repairing rock chips. The down side is both of them are long and boring.

http://www.carcareonline.com/paint_chips.html

The other is from autopia and you have to purchase the ebook. You can find a link through CMA or go to Autopia direct.

The link to carcareonline is the best in my opinion. I did this procedure on my wrangler. I even tried putting clear nail polish as a clearcoat afterwards and it worked great. Just read carefully and you should be fine. Also the sand paper I used was from meguiar's and not the stuff that you can find at a local autozone. Feel free to ask question if you have problems.
New link:

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8

Also, i was reading, it said you have to wait for the paint to dry for 1 week before sanding it down, so do i not use the car for that time or will that not matter? One week seems too long for paint to dry, isn't it?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:44 PM
HokieZ

One week isn't nearly long enough in reality for full detailing (waxes, etc.). Paint can take months to fully cure (not dry, but cure)