Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Just Clayed Car for First Time... OH MY GOD!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 AM
ASTIG_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT350Z2006,

Sorry, no pun intended.

What claybarring does is eliminate the contaminents caused by everyday driving that acumulate over time. These contaminants what ever they are, makes your paint finish feel gritty. Once you claybar, you have to make sure that you at least apply a coat of wax on your car. Waxing after use of the claybar will replenish the paint to its original form.

Hope this helps out. If you have any more in depth questions about waxing and exterior car car go to this site:

www.autopia.org

good luck bud!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 AM
syf0n

Originally Posted by GT350Z2006
I am a newcomer to this Forum. I will learn with the help of you master. Once I have developed my skills I will show you I have learned everything you have taught me by grabbing the rock from your hand. Then and only then will I be worthy of your existance. My gratitude for this lesson soares beyond the highest mountain peaks.
Do what you gotta do pal, but on a forum with thousands of active members and years worth of collected information, I have to wonder why you'd bother asking without searching. Hell, the mods around here put an emphasis on using the search function before posting questions...not that difficult.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This will teach you just about everything you need to know regarding Claybarring.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 AM
barthelb
Master

Im curious as to why the OP (original poster) took an hour and a half to clay the whole car. Maybe we have different ways because mine takes maybe 1/2 hr to do?

I use the California clay bar kit. It comes with a detailer spray and I do one section at a time not allowing the spray to dry and basically you rub the clay bar back and forth until its either smooth or doesn't make that sound anymore. I go by body panel and it goes by really fast. Is there another way out there?

Also once I clay'd it, i only need to use a cleaner wax and it takes the paint back to what it was when I clayd it.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

My guess was that he was just being careful and thorough. I probably spent that much time my first time out. After you learn the feel of using it and build up some hand muscles, it's a lot easier. I recently did a Ford Explorer in under an hour - that included all the extra time from going up and down a ladder to reach the roof.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:20 PM
barthelb
Master

Yeah your right. I think my 1st time out it took longer. Ok i just wanted to make sure i didn't do something different. Speaking of which i wish it wasn't raining so I could do my car. I'll have to get before and after pictures. My new 3 step process is cleaner wax, then Meguiers Showtime glaze, then NXT on top.

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
My guess was that he was just being careful and thorough. I probably spent that much time my first time out. After you learn the feel of using it and build up some hand muscles, it's a lot easier. I recently did a Ford Explorer in under an hour - that included all the extra time from going up and down a ladder to reach the roof.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
GT350Z2006

Thanks DavesZ#3 for the information. It's people like you that make this Forum worth joining and looking at. After I learn what to do I can help others as I will remember what it was once like being new to this. I just found out what to do with the search option (Via sufOn), and will use it more. Even having to respond to syfon's response I have learned some more things. I have never had a car as this before, and now want to know as much as I can about it from you guys who have had such a peace of art for so long.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

All I can say is "welcome to the club". I thought I knew a lot about car care until I discovered Autopia.org thanks to one of the "old masters" here - Dr Bonz. Places like this truly are one of the great things about the internet. So much information, so little time to read it all!
Old 12-24-2005, 07:13 PM
nadir

best part about claying is feeling up ur car afterwarsd haha ...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:09 PM
meshugineh

Originally Posted by syf0n
ROFL