Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Amatuer wanting to wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Daytona350Texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amatuer wanting to wax

Hey there ive had my 04.5 daytona for about 4 months now and am nearing the 7500 mile checkup, i wanted to detail my car after i get finished with it. I was wondering what is best product for an amatuer *first time waxer* to use? I wanna do it myself to get self gratification, and dont really wanna pay someone to detail my car, cause they charge out the ***. Any opinions thanks!

Also I know zaino is good, i know meguires is good, etc.... but im not looking at the product line, im talking about specific products. Like meguires gold class, or zaino z2 pro, etc
Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the Zaino Total Protection Car Care Kit, it has everything you need to detail your car:

ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7™ Show Car Wash
Z-18™ ClayBar
TWO Zaino Custom Polish Applicators

For the interior and any other rubber or plastic external parts, I would recommends 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Sign up at http://Autopia.org and download their free eBook: The Autopia Guide to Detailing. It will get you started on the basics of how and why in the detailing world.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 01-05-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Get the Zaino Total Protection Car Care Kit, it has everything you need to detail your car:

ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7™ Show Car Wash
Z-18™ ClayBar
TWO Zaino Custom Polish Applicators

For the interior and any other rubber or plastic external parts, I would recommends 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Sign up at http://Autopia.org and download their free eBook: The Autopia Guide to Detailing. It will get you started on the basics of how and why in the detailing world.
+1 on the Zaino Kit.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Other super polymer options

I've had excellent results with both the Blackfire and Menzerna kits on my Redline coupe. Both product lines are available from properautocare.com and have combo kits that are IMHO, a good deal. Blackfire was the easiest to apply (and I did it by hand), but I'm impressed with the results I'm getting from Menzerna. Read some of the other detailing threads here (I particularly enjoyed Brad4thhayes) before you start and you'll have a head start. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+2 on Zaino, best stuff I have ever used.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:28 PM
SekZee

screw that, dont get zaino... yea its good, yea it lasts long, but its so much freaking work..and so expensive. Get Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax... same result, pretty much... 30 mins of work...doesn't last as long as Zaino, but I'd rather wax it with NXT evey few weeks and spend 20-30 mins on it, then use Zaino and spend hours and hours...

Whoever says Zaino's results are better, don't listen to them...same exact shine...I've used both and Im happier with NXT.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The myth that Zaino takes longer continues....

My guess is that you didn't claybar your car before using NXT, correct? The treatment that people do to their car before the intial application of Zaino is part of the prep work needed for a real top notch wax/polish job. If you don't do the wash/claybar before ANY wax application, then you're putting the wax over a dirty surface. Whether you use NXT, Meguires, BlackFire or Turtle Wax, you should give your car a good cleaning and paint prep before the first layer goes on.

BTW, I put a layer of Zaino on my car Sunday afternoon and it took me maybe 45 minutes, including drying time.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that you didn't claybar your car before using NXT, correct? The treatment that people do to their car before the intial application of Zaino is part of the prep work needed for a real top notch wax/polish job. If you don't do the wash/claybar before ANY wax application, then you're putting the wax over a dirty surface. Whether you use NXT, Meguires, BlackFire or Turtle Wax, you should give your car a good cleaning and paint prep before the first layer goes on.

BTW, I put a layer of Zaino on my car Sunday afternoon and it took me maybe 45 minutes, including drying time.
I totally agree that Zaino is the best, but I don't know if I would recommend it to a first time waxer. Would you agree?

Daytona350 -

Three questions;

What color is your car?
Do you have a lot of scratches?
And are you a synthetic man or Carnuba?

If you're interested in a really comprehensive review of most of the waxes out on the market right now, go to gurureports.com and order their wax test report. Its well worth the 19 bucks. Then you can pick your own wax based on your criteria. And yes the almighty Zaino came out on top. ;-)

I personally use Meguires Carnuba on my 03' Redline. $5 bucks and I get people asking me how I keep my car so clean. The secret is paint finish prep, not which wax.

Last edited by zillinois; 01-11-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

True, I would agree that Zaino is not the easiest thing for a beginner.

Daytona350Texas is in Amarillo, so I wouldn't recommend a true carnauba wax for such exterme heat. He would be better off with a synthetic.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by zillinois
I totally agree that Zaino is the best, but I don't know if I would recommend it to a first time waxer. Would you agree?

Daytona350 -

Three questions;

What color is your car?
Do you have a lot of scratches?
And are you a synthetic man or Carnuba?

If you're interested in a really comprehensive review of most of the waxes out on the market right now, go to gurureports.com and order their wax test report. Its well worth the 19 bucks. Then you can pick your own wax based on your criteria. And yes the almighty Zaino came out on top. ;-)

I personally use Meguires Carnuba on my 03' Redline. $5 bucks and I get people asking me how I keep my car so clean. The secret is paint finish prep, not which wax.
Zaino isn't that hard. The biggist issue for the beginner is using to much. Just remember to put it on super thin. Less than 1 oz should be plenty for a single coat on a Z.

Get the kit. On your first use claybar, apply 2 coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2. Now the hard work part is over and it's extremely easy going forward.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:59 PM
SekZee

i claybar'd, and did the 3 step Meguiar's paint cleaning thing, then i found a few small scratches and I did the whole car with Meguiar's ScratchX ... (LOL) then NXT, then NXT Spray....hmmm... I guess you right...it takes just as much time... but I spent around 50 bucks on everything, so it is cheaper then Zaino. Plus I like how NXT smells, lol =))) so its NXT for me .. Im in love with it
Old 01-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got great results with the following:
  • Washed with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
  • Meguiar's Clay bar with (any) quick detail spray
  • wash again (to wash off excess clay bar)
  • Meguiar's #7 show car glaze (polish)
  • Mothers Reflections Car wax
  • Mothers Reflections Top Coat
  • applied with terry cloths and buffed with microfiber cloths

However, to just wash and wax:
I like to use Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo to wash.
Wax is either:
Meguiar's NXT
OR
Mother's Reflections car wax (comes in a small red bottle)

I prefer the Mother's over the NXT, though.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
lamaz

Default Accessories

What sponge and drying towel do you all recomend? Microfiber or chamo?

-LamaZ
Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Don't use a sponge. Use a cotton chenille or lambs wool mitt for washing. Get a waffle-weave microfiber towel for drying.

Scan the threads here and you'll see a lot of discussion about using a leaf blower to dry with. I've done it for years and it's a great trick. You blow away 95% of the water then use the WW towel to pat dry the few remaining droplets. The less you rub your car to dry it, the less chance of introducing swirls or fine scratches.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Daytona350Texas

Sorry havnt checked this thread in a while. Well I wanted to wait til after my maintenance to do the wax job considering i hate when nissan deals with my car and getting grease smudges all over it. So I could go the cheaper route and get a nice shine/gloss out of it, but id rather go with the high dollar and get something that i know will work for sure.

The car is daytona for the guy asking. So do i really need the whole starter kit? or just claybars z5 and z2?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:56 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

In addition to the claybar, Z5 and Z2 you will want some Z-6. If you go with the Zaino carwash (Z-7), you're probably talking about the same amount of $$$ as the starter kit anyway.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:40 AM
bixby

In addition to the claybar, Z5 and Z2 you will want some Z-6. If you go with the Zaino carwash (Z-7), you're probably talking about the same amount of $$$ as the starter kit anyway.
You will want some ZFX hardener as well so that you can do up to 3 coats at a time. If it's a Touring (or you have leather) you'll want the cleaner and the conditioner too.

The Z8 is a nice to have in addition to the Z6 also.

Keep the ZFX in the fridge to keep it from drying up.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Oops, I forgot about the ZFX - that will definitely make it worth your while to get the kit.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:05 PM
rmesola

whatever you end up doing, use a claybar first...

I put on NXT when I got my car (used) in November and it still beads up to this time despite the 4 snowstorms that came by....

haven't used zaino so I can't compare....

MUST USE CLAY!!!!! --- makes a big difference the first time... I can run my nails on the finish and it doesn't catch on anything....
I think a big part of the zaino process is that you must clay before initial use while a lot of people may just put on wax without claying...