Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Anyone tried a swirl/scratch remover that works??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:19 PM
s9am_me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried a swirl/scratch remover that works??

these swirl marks are driving me crazy. Its only since i took it to the dealer i've had swirl marks. I take really good care of the paint.. but the dealer put some swirl marks on it that i haven't been able to cure. I've tried wax that "supposedly" takes them out.. but never really worked. What do you guys use?? oh yah.. for the ones that use the Big Blue Towel.. is it a good way to dry the car without getting swirl marks?? where can i buy one?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:06 AM
FLA - Zman

I have the same problem on my black Z.
The dealer scratched it up when detailing.
Have also had problems w/ bird crap eating into the paint within 24 hrs!

The meguiars 3 stage process worked pretty well for me, but this black paint on the Z seems very susceptible to damage...
Old 02-09-2003, 09:32 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: Anyone tried a swirl/scratch remover that works??

Originally posted by s9am_me
these swirl marks are driving me crazy. Its only since i took it to the dealer i've had swirl marks. I take really good care of the paint.. but the dealer put some swirl marks on it that i haven't been able to cure. I've tried wax that "supposedly" takes them out.. but never really worked. What do you guys use?? oh yah.. for the ones that use the Big Blue Towel.. is it a good way to dry the car without getting swirl marks?? where can i buy one?
Only good way to get rid of swirls is with a machine and polish. If you don't want to get into it yourself.. you could always take it into a shop to get machine polished.

For big blue.. its perfect. You can buy them online at many places.. including www.properautocare.com

You can dry the entire Z with it and still be able to dry another car.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:07 AM
FlaPhil

Default Re: Anyone tried a swirl/scratch remover that works??

Check out properautocare.com's Problem Solving page at http://www.properautocare.com/problemsolving.html. They have step-by-step instructions on how to remove swirls, scratches, and all kinds of blemishes. I've used their steps on my older car for removing swirls with the Menzerna polish and it worked great. I also have a PC 7424. Makes it lots easier.

Also, take a look at their write up on Menzerna. This stuff is really something else.

Oh, yea... I also have 2 Big Blues. Great product and really absorbent.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
alex30327

3M makes a great product to polish and remove swirl marks from cars. It comes in two versions: one for dark colored cars amd one for light colored cars.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:52 AM
DEMOman

I will second the 3M stuff. It worked wonders on my 911.

Comes in a little black tube.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 AM
jelledge

Default 3M works great

I'll third that. The 3M scratch remover works great. Sometimes they don't sell it with all the waxes and such in the stores they will put it where all the bondo and touch up paint is.

Use a buffer with a foam bonnet and the 3M stuff and you should have some good success.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Montez

And I will 4th the 3M it worked great on my old 99 Black Maxima
Old 02-12-2003, 02:47 PM
vova151

Can this 3M stuff be found at say AutoZone or WesternAuto or any of those other retail auto stores?

How does the 3M stuff compare to Zaino?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:52 PM
alex30327

Originally posted by vova151
Can this 3M stuff be found at say AutoZone or WesternAuto or any of those other retail auto stores?

How does the 3M stuff compare to Zaino?
I personally don't know of any retail stores that carry good car products like this. Try "properautocare.com" or any other detailing web site and you should be able to find all the 3M products.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:45 PM
DEMOman

I bought my 3M scratch remover at Schucks... with is one of those Autozone type chains.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:57 AM
s9am_me

arite.. i'm sold on that 3M stuff. hehehe.. thanx for the input. Do have to use a buffer?? i usually just use a microfiber towel and rubbing it the old fashion way. is this ok?
Old 02-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Montez

arite.. i'm sold on that 3M stuff. hehehe.. thanx for the input. Do have to use a buffer?? i usually just use a microfiber towel and rubbing it the old fashion way. is this ok?
If you have a Pep Boys near you they sell alot of 3m products. No you donot have to use a buffer, but donot rub it on or off in a circular motion.

Last edited by Montez; 02-13-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Zriffic

Try Zaino Z5. I used it when I had a black car. It actually fills the swirl marks. The more coats you apply it the better it gets. It is also very important with any color vehicle not to use anything but cotton towels. Look at the zainobros.com web site for more information.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:07 PM
s9am_me

i don't have a pep boys near here.. so i'm ordering all my stuff from properautocare.com They don't have zaino but BlackFire is in there. Thinkin of getting it but it seems expensive. How much is that Zaino stuff anyways??
Old 02-13-2003, 04:40 PM
zmadnez

I used both the 3M and Zaino Z5 on the soft Harley paint.

The 3M works better on deep surface swirls/scratches vs. the Zaino Z5 works best on top surface swirls/scratches based on one application. Multiple applications of Z5 will fill the swirls/scratches.

I use the 3M to remove the swirls/scratches then use the Zaino treatment (Z1,Z2 then Z6).
Old 02-13-2003, 07:15 PM
stevo

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

does anybody here use the "Absorber"? and if so how does it compare the Big Blue towel?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:41 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by stevo
does anybody here use the "Absorber"? and if so how does it compare the Big Blue towel?
I think most people try/like the absorber because they can buy it locally.. where as big blue you need to get it online typically.

I wouldn't let that steer your buying decision.. the big blue ROCKS.. I have two.. and being able to just toss them in the washer makes a big different.

If you dry your car.. this thing is a must.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:53 PM
stevo

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

thanks. i currently use the absorber and it is also washable, but for some reason i dont feel it gets the car dry in a clean way..
Old 02-14-2003, 03:59 PM
vova151

Just bought the 3M swirl remover for dark cars and I will use it tomorrow before my meet, if the weather clears. I will post results.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried a swirl/scratch remover that works??