Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Careless with Zaino~ question about rectifying

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Lancaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Careless with Zaino~ question about rectifying

Searched but didn't find this particularly.

Ok, so last week I prepped and did a full Zaino cycle adding 2 layers of Z5 before a long road trip.

I came back this week and noticed that I apparently wasn't as careful that day as I should have been...I must have overlooked a few spot when I was using the Z6 before the first coat. It looks like there are some tiny water spots in certain places that i've sealed in under the two Z5 coats.

I have about 8 layers put down since i stripped with dawn and started from scratch shortly after I got the car.

My Question is~
First, I still get confused sometimes as to whether the claybar takes off the coats,
But I was wondering if you guys recommend that I just start over (I assume if I re-Dawn the car it will take all the Zaino off)? Or should I try to wait...or perhaps theres another way I just don't know about?

It doesn't look terrible. I just feel it could look much better if I went again with a bit more care.

thanks for any advice and I bend over for flames if somebody asked/answered this recently
Old 06-11-2006, 05:44 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The easiest way to remove Zaino is to use some alcohol. I would put some on a cotton applicator and just try to remove the few spots or that small area where they are.

Dawn will not remove Zaino, that step is done to remove old waxes and de-grease the surface.

Claybar done properly will not remove Zaino either.

The alternate method of removing Zaino would be to use the Z-PC (polisher/cleaner) or some other polish like 3M Swirl Mark Remover. For your problem, those are probably too aggresive.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:59 PM
TiPIACE

and herein lies the fundamental flaw in Zaino

its strong synthetic protection is also its one major downfall

im afraid with 8 layers (**** thats alot of product!) you're going to have to hit it with a very harsh abbrassive on a buff. Or you can wait 6 months for the layers to wear down and hit the car with a mild abbrassive

Z-PC is a medium level abbrassive, but im afraid you'd need a few passes on a buff to remove 8 layers. Forget doing it by hand, you wont get nowhere

an alcohol solution like prepsol isnt strong enough

thats why i say Zaino only works for silver and white cars. If you have black and want to maintain a swirl free perfect finish its impossible with Zaino. A carnauba is best, doesnt last as long which is good, because all you need is a very light abbrassive like Menzerna Final Finish by hand to remove swirls, then wipe the carnauba back on

i personally would just leave it, and dont apply so many layers, 3 is plenty

good luck with it dude
Old 06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

With 20+ Zaino applications, I did a small area with 3M SMR and it totally removed the Zaino.

While Z-PC may be a mild abrasive, according to Sal Zaino it will strip off any layers of Zaino. Remember, Zaino goes on very thin. Also, per Sal, the other method of removal is alcohol. No need for abrasives.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 AM
MRfire

LOL...you must have a lot of time on you hands...
Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave gave you the right advice, Dawn will not remove Zaino!
A 50/50 mixture of alcohol and distilled water in a spray bottle.