Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

RainX for Windows???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 AM
s9am_me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RainX for Windows???

anyone tried this stuff for their windows?? It suppose to sheet off water so you can see more better during rain storms.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:57 AM
nosuchsol

I've used it and I don't think that it's a great product but it works somewhat. There's another company that sells Glass Polish that does the same thing, is a larger bottle and the same price. =)
Old 02-18-2003, 01:34 PM
nwind21

Default Re: RainX for Windows???

Originally posted by s9am_me
anyone tried this stuff for their windows?? It suppose to sheet off water so you can see more better during rain storms.

I'ved used the rainX in the spray bottle form and I like it a lot. I used a couple years back for a long trip up to the Bay Area and back through some pretty tough rain and it helps to sheet the water. In fact it worked so well that majority of the time I didn't use my windshield wipers.

Haven't used it in a long time though... just doesn't rain enough in SD to use it.

Also the coating on the windshield doesn't last forever especially if you clean the windows or use the wipers. So you need to re-apply every so often.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Ricky
Banned

you have to remember rainx is very temporary, after a rain storm, maybe 2, you need to re-apply.. I put it on after a storm, or once every 3weeks, whichever comes first, also works great on headlights.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Rain-X downsides?

I've heard that Rain-X is not great for the rubber on windshield wipers and decreases their service life. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I can confirm that Rain-X is NOT good for use on Lexan or plastic surfaces (turns colors from clear), so I'd avoid putting it on the headlight covers of the 350Z!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:52 PM
mobilebuddha

Default question on rainx

quick question..

do you clean the windshield right before you apply it? or can it be applied pretty much anytime?
Old 02-18-2003, 05:12 PM
nwind21

Default Re: question on rainx

Originally posted by mobilebuddha
quick question..

do you clean the windshield right before you apply it? or can it be applied pretty much anytime?
I always clean the windshield before applying rainX. So when you wash your car, that would be a good time to put on some if any.

Regarding the windshield wiper thing... I wouldn't worry about it. Technically the blades need to be replaced every season, so I doubt RainX will have time to damage them. I never saw any problems with it.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:13 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RainX

I tried RainX but it wore off way too fast. I didn't want to re-apply ever time it rained.

Now they make a RainX windshield washer fluid. It works like regular washer fluid, but also has RainX stuff in it. It works great. That is all I use now. Check it out.

The only down side is that on a dark colored car (my truck is black) it can leave some faint streaking. The streaks clean off no problem, but some people don't like them.

AndyB
Old 02-18-2003, 06:26 PM
zPilott

I like it, and it seems to work pretty well (not sure about issues with the trip). However, I don't use it, because it tends to make the windshield hazy if you dont keep applying it regularly, and it was annoying me. Any one know of a good way to get it off?
Old 02-18-2003, 06:41 PM
3rdZ4me

Default Rainex

I use it a lot during the rainy season up here in the Pacific NW. When it's really raining and it's dark out, it makes a big difference. On my 1990 300ZX, once you get going above 50 mph, you really don't have to turn on your wipers at all.

I use it on the headlights and tail lights especially on our Ford Explorer, it seems to help keep them from getting dirty because the water just doesn't stick.

I know some people have mentioned it makes their windows cloudy or hazy. But I've seen that only once in a while and if you follow the instructions and spray a small amount of water on the windshield and and polish again, it comes out very clear.

3rdZ4me
Old 02-18-2003, 06:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think of it like wax, I do it whenever I was, and I also have the washer additive, tho I dont wash my windsheild with them very often. not the point tho, it does work. sheets like a madman IMO. great on side windows, side mirrors, and back window where you dont have a wiper, or much of a wiper.

as for headlights, I dont use rainx on them, dont trust it. but you can use wax on them(zaino) and that will get the water to sheet just fine.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:02 PM
azaz

Another good use that I have found is that it keeps windows from getting etched with water spots. (especially those with well water or hard water)

The old rain x worked very well but the newer stuff beads the water too small to keep the windows clear unless your above 40 or 50 mph.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 AM
spf4000

Originally posted by zPilott
I like it, and it seems to work pretty well (not sure about issues with the trip). However, I don't use it, because it tends to make the windshield hazy if you dont keep applying it regularly, and it was annoying me. Any one know of a good way to get it off?
I used RainX religiously on my old car, but I too noticed a hazy buildup on the windshield after a while. This haze can't be removed by using regular window cleaners. There is a product that specifically removes this silicone buildup, but I forgot the name of it. I'll post the name if I find it.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:09 AM
buzzdsm

Default Wax

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this but for the last 5 cars when I polish my car I also polish my window. The water seems to run right off.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:52 PM
shemp

This is a bit off-topic but I use Rain-X mainly on my shower wall-tile. The water beads right off therefore there's no need to wash as much. But I agree with others that it doesn't last very long when using it on the car.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:43 PM
s9am_me

yeah i actually just used it this week. It worked well on the freeway... didn't even use my wipers at all... but once i used the wipers.. i guess it wipe off the rain-X too. Need to re-apply almost every time. Good idea with the shower tiles tho
Old 02-26-2003, 05:41 PM
scottlewis

I know it SEEMS obvious, but don't use rain-x to clean the inside of your windows! Also, wear gloves because the stuff is irritating to your hands.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Judge

You guys should try a product called Visionblade by DuPont.
Works WAY better than Rain-X. It also lasts about 6 to 9 months with the same effectiveness as a fresh coat of Rain-X.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:49 PM
3rdZ4me

Hmmm....

All I can find is STP Visionblade (STP is a division of Clorox). It's not on the STP web site, but it looks like it's sold through infomercials for $14.95 plus $4.95 shipping. I don't see much other information about it. Any other links?

3rdZ4me
Old 03-03-2003, 07:33 AM
hugo1669

I have used rainx for about 10 years , the stuff if great. I apply it once every 3mos and have never had any problems.

Quick Reply: RainX for Windows???