Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Freaking bird crap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:19 AM
xNeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freaking bird crap!

When I first got my car, like the 1st week a bird crapped on my car right next to the Nissan hamburger on the front hood. I washed the car immediately but the bird crap left a stain there, not very noticeable but if you look its still there. I’ve had birds crap on my car 3 or 4 times since then, washed the car and everything was ok. Yesterday, another bird did his due on my car, I washed last night when I got out of work and everything seem to be ok because it was somewhat dark out. I look this morning and it left a stain again, I got my McGuire Quick detailer to see if it would help, nothing, I got my clay bar out and tried seeing if it would help, and nothing. When I rub the back of my hand over it, it feels extremely smooth, no imperfections that I can feel. I’m not a professional detailer, but is there anyway I can get this out, buffing with an aggressive pad or something and suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:16 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

I have a pretty annoying problem where i work with this. They aren't normal droppings either...they are small like a pea maybe...smaller sometimes. They are an orange/yellow color and i can push it loose with my fingernail and it stays in once piece. Anywho...they stain the paint (PPW) almost immediately. I keep quick wash and micro fibre towels in my stash box at all times so every day i come out and give the car a walk around, flick them off and hit it real quick with the mf/qw...just the spots usually.

I have been able to get the stains out by using my porter cable with a polish pad and a medium cut polisher...i can't remember the number right now. It takes a little work though. I use Jeff Werkstatt sealant and s100 on top. I keep a good layer of s100 on too but it doesn't seem to help...still stains.

I hope this helps a bit, main point is Porter Cable with polish pad and meg medium cut.

Take care,
Nick
Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
highside107

Yup, I know what you guys are saying. Have had the Z for 2 years now and just on Saturday a bird pooped on my car. Went to wash it out and it left a stain!! This is my first bird poop stain in 2 years; every other time I've had bird poop it always washed out! Apparently whatever birds eat at this time of year (berries, etc.) is extremely acidic. Oh yeah, the stain is called "bird poop etching" over there on autopia.org (the largest detailing/car care website). But kwiker is right: the only way to get bird poop etching out is with a PC Random Orbital and some polish.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM
stein

I've had a bird poo on my fuel lid, I've tried rubbing compound but it will not buff it out. Most of the other panels I've been able to buff out but not the fuel lid. The toxic poo seems to be the dark purple looking poo.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM
xNeo

I don't have a porter cable, where is there a place I can pick one up?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by stein
I've had a bird poo on my fuel lid, I've tried rubbing compound but it will not buff it out. Most of the other panels I've been able to buff out but not the fuel lid. The toxic poo seems to be the dark purple looking poo.

I thought I was the only one, the bird poo was purple! As soon as I saw that I knew something was wrong! I'm going to try to buff it out tomorow!

Should I wash the car with vinegar and water first and then buff try the polish to get it out? Or should I just wash as I normally do and then polish, wax etc.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:31 AM
gNaRKiLL

Originally Posted by xNeo
I don't have a porter cable, where is there a place I can pick one up?
www.autogeek.net

I bought this kit last week gonna do a full workover tomorrow morning:
http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocaswrek.html
Old 09-22-2006, 10:41 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by xNeo
I thought I was the only one, the bird poo was purple! As soon as I saw that I knew something was wrong! I'm going to try to buff it out tomorow!

Should I wash the car with vinegar and water first and then buff try the polish to get it out? Or should I just wash as I normally do and then polish, wax etc.

This is what i usually do.

1. Quick Wash/Detailer...if that doesn't work
2. Clay...if it works then go to step 4. but if that didn't work
3. Straight to medium cut polish, you can try a milder abrasive polish if you want first i guess, i'm usually upset by then and i skip to medium, i don't even worry about striping the wax or anything, clay will remove some of it and then the polish used with the pc (porter cable) will do the rest i think.
4. Reapply the sealant and then the s100 on top again...just in that area.

edit: I have never tried the vinegar approach, i do understand that you might want to dillute it 50.50 with "distilled" water. I don't think there have ever been any adverse affects on clearcoat using this, i just haven't tried it myself. I would do a doorjamb or trunk or something before i go for the hood or whatever just to make sure.

Last edited by kwiker; 09-22-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You do not mention the color of your car? The clearcoat is stained. Leave it alone. Ultraviolet radiation (sunshine) has an incredible way of bleaching stains. Several months from now the stain will most likely be gone.

BTW get a cover will you.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:48 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by davidv
You do not mention the color of your car? The clearcoat is stained. Leave it alone. Ultraviolet radiation (sunshine) has an incredible way of bleaching stains. Several months from now the stain will most likely be gone.

Really? I had no idea. I had a feeling it might go away by itself, lol. Makes me less worried now, but I'm probably still going to use a PC on it.

xNeo: Apparently the cheapest place to pick one up at is Lowe's. Make sure you get the right thing: Porter Cable Random Orbital. Should run about $110. Apparently there are also some other things that you need to get, like the pads, etc.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by davidv
Its Super Black, and the orignal stain on the hood is still there 6 months later. I want a cover, but I can't put it on every day before work. Also we have parking permits, if not we get towed!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwiker
I have a pretty annoying problem where i work with this. They aren't normal droppings either...they are small like a pea maybe...smaller sometimes. They are an orange/yellow color and i can push it loose with my fingernail and it stays in once piece. Anywho...they stain the paint (PPW) almost immediately. I keep quick wash and micro fibre towels in my stash box at all times so every day i come out and give the car a walk around, flick them off and hit it real quick with the mf/qw...just the spots usually.

I have been able to get the stains out by using my porter cable with a polish pad and a medium cut polisher...i can't remember the number right now. It takes a little work though. I use Jeff Werkstatt sealant and s100 on top. I keep a good layer of s100 on too but it doesn't seem to help...still stains.

I hope this helps a bit, main point is Porter Cable with polish pad and meg medium cut.

Take care,
Nick
I have PPW car, and get those yellow stains after washing. Theres nothing to worry, a couple days in the sun and they will bleach out by the sun. After couple days my spots are gone.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:46 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by james840a
I have PPW car, and get those yellow stains after washing. Theres nothing to worry, a couple days in the sun and they will bleach out by the sun. After couple days my spots are gone.

I'll have to try to just wipe it off and not go to "work" on it and see if it goes away. That crap, pun intended, really gets on my nerves though.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 AM
xNeo

Hey guys, I was to impatient to wait to buy the porter cable so I went out to see if I could get the stain out by hand. I used Meguiars paint cleaner and well, it worked! I didn't get the stain out 100% but it got 90% of it out, you really have to look to see what is left. I'm going to leave it alone for now and wait for the porter cable.