Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino site is confusing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:42 PM
acmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino site is confusing!

Which zaino product do i get theres like 20 items, or who here on the fourm sells them? oh and is crystal guard better?

thx
Old 04-05-2003, 06:53 PM
cheeves

Actually it's not as bad as it seems. I ordered last year (Black Grand AM GT1). Although it's definately a lot of work the first time.
But I'll tell ya, That is some fine stuff. Made black so deep. Actually sold this car last week, and today I saw it coming out of the car wash. Even not seeing the driver, I knew from a distance that was my old car. Absolutely gleamed, even after all the salt and other crap they put on the roads here.

This is what I'd buy:

First get a good claybar and do it.

Z-1
Z-2
Z-5
Z-6

I also used thier Z-7 car wash. Seems to rinse very clear with a minimum of water spots.

Product comes with really good written instructions. Also these people are more than willing to talk to ya with any questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:10 PM
acmw

Unhappy

i have no clue what those things "z" are
Old 04-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by acmw
i have no clue what those things "z" are

This will tell you what everything is: http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm

and this: http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm tells you how to use it.

For first timers all you need is:

Z-1 Activator Polish Lok
Z-2 Show Car Polish (the main stuff, final polish coat)
Z-6 Detailing Spray
Z-7 Car Wash

add the clay bar Z-18 if you plan to clay and do not already have your own clay bar....
Old 04-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Kevin V

I'd get the Z-2 polish, Z-6 detail spray, Z-7 wash, Z-18 clay bar and the ZFX additive. The ZFX is MUCH better than using the Z-1.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, get the ZFX and you won't need the Z-1. It really speeds things up. It allows the Z-2 and/or the Z-5 cure much faster allowing you to do multiple layers in a day.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:40 PM
afr0puff

I got all of the Zaino products except the plastic and glass cleaner. So far everything has been great except for my Z-2. If people will remember here on this forum, my ZFX enabled Z-2 refused to cure, even after 24 hours. I talked to Sal and he said I got a bad batch. He said he'll replace the bottle for me.

I'm not a fan of the tire gloss. It's only good for about a day or two, then my tire looks nasty again. I think I'm gonna just use the tire gloss for under the hood dressing.

The leather cleaner and conditioner is top notch though! love it!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Showcars

I'm not a fan of the tire gloss. It's only good for about a day or two, then my tire looks nasty again. I think I'm gonna just use the tire gloss for under the hood dressing.
The "shine" may not last long, but the protection lasts. If you like the "wet look", then Z-16 is not for you. Unfortunately, the "wet look" often comes with the "slinging crud onto your paint" look, which really blows.

Use Z-16 to keep your interior clean - wipe it on, then let it dry (don't wipe it off). It'll add UV protection and also resists water. It isn't greasy, so your dash & doors won't become a dust magnet. Also use it for all your weather stripping. I also use it under the hood on hoses and cables - it gets rid of that white chalky look that makes the hoses look ugly.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:24 PM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Default Re: Zaino site is confusing!

Originally posted by acmw
Which zaino product do i get theres like 20 items, or who here on the fourm sells them? oh and is crystal guard better?

thx

I don't get it either. I'll stick with my two Blackfire products!
Old 04-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Kevin V

Default Re: Re: Zaino site is confusing!

Originally posted by MY350isbtrthnurz
I don't get it either. I'll stick with my two Blackfire products!
Most top of the line products have their own polishes, wash, detailer, clay, plastic and glass polish, leather cleaners and conditioners and tire gloss. Of course no one else but Zaino has the ZFX additive.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:25 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Default Re: Re: Re: Zaino site is confusing!

Originally posted by Kevin V
Most top of the line products have their own polishes, wash, detailer, clay, plastic and glass polish, leather cleaners and conditioners and tire gloss. Of course no one else but Zaino has the ZFX additive.

WOOO a ADDITIVE... WOW!

Kevin, an additive is an old, old marketing gimmick.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It may be a marketing gimmick but it works. It's not something Sal is selling you just for the sake of selling it. It really does add to the experience and result. It makes the process quicker and IMO, looks better. Plus, it eliminates another step (the Z-1) so it's not like it is just a gimmick.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:01 PM
amartin

Umm.. Lemme chime in here... as a Troll from another forum:

Zaino was initially a 2/3 step process...

After cleaning the vehicle and/or claying... Z1 was applied, followed by Z2 or Z5 (Z2 is shinnier, Z5 is shinny but fills ultra fine swirls..take your pick)... The Z2/Z5 products "BONDED" with Z1... thus were apllied OVER the Z1. The bonding process would take 2-16hours depending on humidity and temp.

ZFX is an accelerator (much like Insta-Set for CA, if your into Glues). Its added to Z2 or Z5, and is good for about 1hr.

It reduced the wax time dramatically.

Now-- here's whats interesting when it comes to Zaino versus other products:

Once you've applied Z2 (or Z5).. as many times as you want to (mostly because we like to pet our nice shiny cars rather than the fact that it needs it)... The vehicle can be "Z6"ed... for about 6months as needed without re-applying the other steps.

Z6 is basically a UV protectant, makes the car 'shiny' (just waxed look), and it negativly charged (dust doesn't want to stick).

It sprays on, wipes off.. (Sound familiar!?) in about 10 minutes for an entire car.

As far as Soap/Clay/etc... I believe they are all about equal out there... I'de recommend ZFX + Z2 + Z6. As a wonderful starting point to give amazing results.

(FYI, Z5 doesn't fill anything but the FINNNNEST swirls, so for max shine, I recommend Z2 over Z5).

-- Aaron
Old 04-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Kevin V

Zaino was initially a 2/3 step process...

After cleaning the vehicle and/or claying... Z1 was applied, followed by Z2 or Z5 (Z2 is shinnier, Z5 is shinny but fills ultra fine swirls..take your pick)... The Z2/Z5 products "BONDED" with Z1... thus were apllied OVER the Z1. The bonding process would take 2-16hours depending on humidity and temp.

If it took 2-16 hours to dry they were doing it wrong and using WAY to much. Of course with the ZFX additive it dries very quick and provides 0 curing time allowing multiple coats in a day. The ZFX is also a bonding agent as the Z-1 is, the ZFX also provides a harder more durable finish.

ZFX is an accelerator (much like Insta-Set for CA, if your into Glues). Its added to Z2 or Z5, and is good for about 1hr.

Glue??? The ZFX isn't a glue, it actually goes through a chemical reaction with the polish. Once mixed the polish/ZFX mix is actually good to use for up to 12 hours. After 24 hours all benefits of the ZFX are gone. I prefer to only mix up what I have time to apply. I can always mix up more if I need it.

It reduced the wax time dramatically.

Zaino isn't a wax, it is a synthetic polymer, so it would be "drying" time, but yes it does reduce the drying time considerably.

Now-- here's whats interesting when it comes to Zaino versus other products:

Once you've applied Z2 (or Z5).. as many times as you want to (mostly because we like to pet our nice shiny cars rather than the fact that it needs it)... The vehicle can be "Z6"ed... for about 6months as needed without re-applying the other steps.

If you are comparing the Z-6 to one of those "spray and wash your car" junk, wrong again. It is a detail spray. If the car is dirty wash it, if not just use the detail spray.

Z6 is basically a UV protectant, makes the car 'shiny' (just waxed look), and it negativly charged (dust doesn't want to stick).

And also makes the surface very slick and easier to keep clean

It sprays on, wipes off.. (Sound familiar!?) in about 10 minutes for an entire car.

Like I said above, it isn't meant to "wash" a car, if a car is dirty, wash it, the Z-6 is a detail spray.

As far as Soap/Clay/etc... I believe they are all about equal out there... I'de recommend ZFX + Z2 + Z6. As a wonderful starting point to give amazing results.

Except for Mequiars, which is junk, the Clay Magic, Mothers and Zaino are all good clay bars, I do prefer the Zaino ones though. The Z-7 wash will actually enhance the shine. Using something with strippers, additives or "wax", would not allow the optimum results with Zaino

(FYI, Z5 doesn't fill anything but the FINNNNEST swirls, so for max shine, I recommend Z2 over Z5).

Correct, but if you apply multiple coats of the Z-5 the swirls keep getting less and less noticeable, as long as you aren't putting in new ones. The Z-5 has actually had a formula change that provides a better shine. The Z-2 is still the best for the optimum shine.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:17 PM
amartin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin V

If it took 2-16 hours to dry they were doing it wrong and using WAY to much. Of course with the ZFX additive it dries very quick and provides 0 curing time allowing multiple coats in a day. The ZFX is also a bonding agent as the Z-1 is, the ZFX also provides a harder more durable finish.

The dry time is temp/humidity dependant... IF its 50 degrees and 90% humidity... you bet its longer than 1-2hours to cure...

Glue??? The ZFX isn't a glue, it actually goes through a chemical reaction with the polish. Once mixed the polish/ZFX mix is actually good to use for up to 12 hours. After 24 hours all benefits of the ZFX are gone. I prefer to only mix up what I have time to apply. I can always mix up more if I need it.

Clearly you have no idea what CA and insta-set/insta-cure are. It was an ANALOGY to the concept of causing an agent to react/cure faster. Furthermore, 12hrs is beyond pushing it... I wouldn't use a ZFX mix over 4 hours on the out-side....

Zaino isn't a wax, it is a synthetic polymer, so it would be "drying" time, but yes it does reduce the drying time considerably.

Again, the term "WAX" is used here to convey a concept... not to get people confused with the flux-capacitor/88mph back through time lingo... Next study example, we'll need a chemical break down m'kay?? :-)

If you are comparing the Z-6 to one of those "spray and wash your car" junk, wrong again. It is a detail spray. If the car is dirty wash it, if not just use the detail spray.

Uhh.. I always wash my vehicle before applying ANYTHING to its surface.... But I guess you are trying to further explain what Z6 is..which is fine, but I don't put words in my mouth...

-- Aaron
Old 04-13-2003, 06:14 AM
Kevin V

I was one of the lucky people to get to test out the ZFX for 2 years prior to its release. I've had many discussions with Sal Zaino about it. Since he says you can use the ZFX mix for up to 12 hours (preferably 6) I would tend to believe him.

You are right about the temp and humidity affecting drying time. The ZFX makes the polish dry much quicker. But even without the ZFX on a cool or humid day the polish should dry within 1-2 hours at the most. If it takes longer than that it was applied too thick. I've applied Zaino at 35* and at 98* with 95% humidity without the ZFX. It never took more than an hour or so to dry.

I'd love to have a chemical breakdown of Zaino, unfortunately Sal isn't giving away that secret.

I figured you wash your car, not use a detail spray to do it, but I didn't want anyone interested in using Zaino to get the wrong impression of the function of the Z-6.

As long as we keep them shiny and beautiful, is all that matters.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:41 PM
JamRWS6

ZFX isn't a gimmick. It makes the Zaino dry MUCH faster. By the time I am done applying it is ready to come off.
Zaino is the best i've used....PERIOD.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Like Kevin said above, it's not the "drying" time that the ZFX necessarily improves but it is the CURING time. Without ZFX, Zaino is DRY in an hour or two but you shouldn't take it off at that time because it hasn't CURED yet. With ZFX added to the Z-2 or the Z-5, it dries AND cures fast, allowing you to take it off faster and do up to three layers in one day.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:59 PM
RAW22

I like Zaino, it is awesome, but they need to step up to the 21st century and have online ordering on their website.

Richard
Old 04-15-2003, 11:13 AM
BYOB

yupe.. ZFX does a great job.. here's what I do

1. 4 drops of ZFX + Z2 mix about half in the bottle should be enuf for one layer. Take the wax off. Apply Z6 to give it a gloss look. Leave the car in the sun for about 1-2hrs.

2. repeat step 1 again.

3. apply ZFX + Z5 this time

4. apply Z6 again..

done.

if you want more layer... just repeat step 1 often. Make sure you do a very thin layer.. the thinner the better.

Zaino is amazing!

Quick Reply: Zaino site is confusing!