Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Microfiber to dry with??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:28 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfiber to dry with??

I'm new to the world of microfiber towels, so i have a quick question. I have always used the "Absorber" brand rubbery shammy (SP?) to dry with on other cars. I wanna do the Z right and not scrathch it when drying. I was curious if it would be better to use a microfiber towel instead, or just stick with what i'm using. I bought a 12pack of 'em at advance auto parts today for $9.99. So tomorrow i'm gonna wash and wax! It's gonna be 75 degrees and i have the day off!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Those kind of MF towels are for wiping stuff down. The best thing for drying is a large waffle-weave microfiber towel. Here's the one I use...

http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html
Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Those kind of MF towels are for wiping stuff down. The best thing for drying is a large waffle-weave microfiber towel. Here's the one I use...

Would they be safe to wax with??
Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 AM
gNaRKiLL

I use the meguiars gold class micro fiber towels they work amazing and i just throw them in the wash when im done. Careful though it will become an obsession you can never have too many microfiber towels and I have to buy one every time i go o schmucks.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by halfass872
Would they be safe to wax with??
Not that it would be un-safe, but waffle-weave towels are really made for drying.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
halfass872

Not that it would be un-safe, but waffle-weave towels are really made for drying.
Sorry, i ment will the standard microfiber towels be ok for waxing??
Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Get_Zwole

not highjacking but is the absorber not ok to dry the z with i wash it after every use and ive never had anything that picks up water as good as it does?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 AM
sponsorsthisway

The absorber works great. I agree that it picks up water better than anything I've ever used. But personally awhile back I'd been hearing about using microfiber towels to dry because the absorbers car pull excess particles and cause straches/swirls. I decided to try the microfiber towels because after using the absorber my car just looked more dull and kept getting more swirls; like it was taking wax off faster than normal after each wash too.

I used the microfiber towels and they work great. You have to wring it out a little more often but the results are so much better. As much as I do still love the absorbancy of the absorber I'll still never go back now. I suggest you give em a try.

2006350zSA, As far as washing the absorber after every use goes, the only reason I would say you might want to cut back on doing that is that if you're just tossing it in the laundry some of the detergent stays in it you could pass that onto the surface of the car if you don't rinse it out thoroughly after using. I don't think clothing detergent residue would be good to be get on your paint. Especially if it keeps building up.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by 2006350zSA
not highjacking but is the absorber not ok to dry the z with i wash it after every use and ive never had anything that picks up water as good as it does?
I wash everytime too. I just use a very little amount of detergent, and hot water.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gNaRKiLL
I use the meguiars gold class micro fiber towels they work amazing and i just throw them in the wash when im done. Careful though it will become an obsession you can never have too many microfiber towels and I have to buy one every time i go o schmucks.
+1
Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Get_Zwole

yeah i double rinse and use a tiny bit of detergent i just dont want any of the tiny bit of dirt i might have picked up to scratch the paint. Wow maybe i will start using a microfiber towel then never new it did that humm thats def. interesting to think about thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1.. Microfiber is meant to be the wax buffer or after you dry with waffle, use the microfiber....... Once you wet the microfiber it loses its purpose in life........
Old 03-13-2007, 04:42 AM
sponsorsthisway

Originally Posted by gNaRKiLL

I have 2 of those towels as well. They're great. So soft. I use them to wipe the car down after wax is removed or with spray detailer.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:32 AM
jjwalker

Originally Posted by halfass872
I wash everytime too. I just use a very little amount of detergent, and hot water.
Detergent is good if you want to strip off grease and wax, but not good for prolong use. You are better off with a specific auto soap like Zaino Z7.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 AM
zosomoso

Originally Posted by jonb7007
Once you wet the microfiber it loses its purpose in life........
Actually, microfibers are more absorbent when theyre wet. Note that water is attracted to itself, so dampening a cloth will only make it easier to absorb water. After washing my car i bring two of em. One i soak in water and after its completely absorbed ill sqeeze out all the excess water until it becomes damp. Then ill wipe down a portion of the car once with the wet microfiber and again with the dry one. i used to just use one dry microfiber but i noticed much better results using both a wet and dry one.

Last edited by zosomoso; 03-13-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:19 AM
06MagneticZ

Is it ok to use a microfiber towel to wipe the car down when its dusty? Will this scratch my paint. It just doesnt seem like my Cali Duster is doing its job.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 AM
sponsorsthisway

Use a microfiber towel and some detaing spray. You'll be good. I was never too fond of dusters myself.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Detergent is good if you want to strip off grease and wax, but not good for prolong use. You are better off with a specific auto soap like Zaino Z7.

Sorry , i ment detergent to wash them with in the clothes washer.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

BTW - wash them in liquid detergent. Powdered detergents may not dissolve and leave a solid residue in the microfiber.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
shinkuu

lazaino.com they are the reseller of zaino products here in socal and they also make their own towels. they have a waffel weave for drying. i use a two step drying process, a large waffel weave to remove most of the water and i have another microfiber to dry the rest of the car.

as for removing wax/polish, i use 100% cotton towels with no edges on them. people get most of their fine scratches and swirl marks from drying the car. if you're really into your car, you can get an electric leaf blower for touchless drying.

Quick Reply: Microfiber to dry with??