Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Total Detailing -- What Order?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 05:56 PM
bk_r0x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Detailing -- What Order?

Hi guys,

First off, I drive a Maxima, but I read these boards (Max boards IMO are full of ricers with altezzas) both because of the "higher-class" population, but also because this is by far the best detailing forum I've read. There seem to be a few professionals around here who really know their stuff.

Anyways, I've got a 1995 Dark Green Maxima that has recently become mine. It is beat all to hell paint-wise (185,000 miles on the highway will do that to a car), but I'd like to REALLY clean it up and at least get a few pictures.

My question is, what order do I go in? Assume I've got all the wax products I need (I've got show-car wax that was mistakenly shipped to me instead of a claybar), but I do need everything else. What do I start with? Clay? Chemical remover? I know to use unscented Dawn to start, but after that I'm a little unclear on exactly what order to do the rest of the stuff for best results.

Any advice would be more than welcome, and greatly appreciated!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:51 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash
Clay
Polish
Glaze if desired
Wax

The last 3 steps are rolled together with alot of the more moden sealant products.

But get the car as clean as possible, then clay it. Now the car is 'clean'. Then you polish it to get rid of any minor imperfections, or try to fill the rest. Glaze is an optional compoent some wax systems use, just stick to the product you are setup with, if it doesn't have a glaze, don't worry about it.

Once its polished, you need to seal that stuff in, so theres your wax or sealant.

On an older car like that.. the clay should really do wonders.