Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Touch Up Paint & Claybar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 03:49 PM
RAW22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Up Paint & Claybar?

I need to touch up a lot of spots on my front bumper due to rocks and other stuff chipping the paint. I told a friend that I was hesitant because my experience with touch up paint usually looked worse than the chips.

My friend told me the way to make it look good was to put in on and let it dry, and then use a claybar on it. He has a lot of experience working for auto paint places.

Has anyone ever heard about or tried this?

Richard
Old 04-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Ricky
Banned

Yeah, whoever answers this, could you please tell me if this method would work on this damage also, and if not, how to use the touch up and make it look fairly decent. Thanks in advance.

PS - The areas in the red box are silver paint, not scratches. The paint layer came off, no deep scratches.
Attached Thumbnails Touch Up Paint & Claybar?-picture-021-edited.jpg  
Old 04-28-2003, 05:53 PM
erock

Default Re: Touch Up Paint & Claybar?

Originally posted by RAW22
I need to touch up a lot of spots on my front bumper due to rocks and other stuff chipping the paint. I told a friend that I was hesitant because my experience with touch up paint usually looked worse than the chips.

My friend told me the way to make it look good was to put in on and let it dry, and then use a claybar on it. He has a lot of experience working for auto paint places.

Has anyone ever heard about or tried this?

Richard
Good thread cuz I was wondering the same....... After waxing this weekend I noticed my hood looked like swiss cheese....
Old 04-28-2003, 07:45 PM
nosuchsol

http://www.langka.com/

Only heard that it's good - never used it.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Zay

Well guys i'm no expert but, I have used the touch paint in very small places on the hood and quite honestly you would need to be Picasso to have it come out perfect. However, I did use the exact technique of touch paint and claybar with a 24 hour gap in between paint and claybar (in order for the paint to dry). Then followed it up with wax and an orbital buffing (looked like glass when it was all said and done).

Anyway, the claybar didn't really work any miracles but, it did smooth out the areas where I applied the touch-up paint (again these are very small areas). So, I would suggest you follow your friend’s advice. Remember that the claybar takes off overspray and other hidden particles that are not a part of the surface. If you haven't claybarred your car I highly suggest it. It will leave the surface of your car as smooth as a babies A$$!

As for Ricky... looks like you need a pro dude!